Galaxy S8 and S8+ Units Having Trouble With Qi Charging

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ap_resize-jpg.77409

It looks like we have another issue with the Galaxy S8 and S8+ already. Some units are having trouble with Qi wireless charging. It seems as long as you use Samsung's all new convertible wireless charging stand there are no issues. Some users are reporting issues with other chargers including Samsung's older wireless chargers. The issue that is coming up is that if you place your S8 or S8+ on one of these chargers you get a repeated "Wireless Charging Paused" later you get a message "Irregular charging detected." Other brands and models of Qi chargers seem to be affected by this as well. I have seen those messages on my S7 edge as well, and had chalked it up to my charger going bad since I have had my charger for about a year. Maybe there is something more to this as the problem seems pretty wide spread at this point.

via AndroidPolice

Attachments

• ap_resize.jpg
    ap_resize.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,356

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
They should just claim that they now use a new wireless charging standard, QiX, and move on. That's what Apple would do. Or they'd tell you that you were holding it wrong.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
They obviously don't care about wireless charging because they use the Snapdragon 835 yet don't include it's ability to use QC4. Or QC3 for that matter. I constantly use quick chargers for 2 reasons - speed of charge and not having to tether it.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I mean, that's kind of the risk you face when using off-brand accessories. If Samsung's charger works fine, i don't see them in any wrong. It's not like there's an issue with the cables themselves.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Apparently Samsung's new convertible wireless charging stand works fine. It is their older Qi chargers that don't always work. It is always nice when new tech works well with old accessories but unfortunately that's often not the case.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
So now samsung wants to be like apple? That you have to purchase new accessories with every new phone?

I have tylt wireless charger that I bought 5 years ago. It worked with Motorola phones, lg phones, Sony phones.
Same goes with my air dock wireless car charger, I'm not going to purchase new accessories every year. I'm not going to even CONSIDER samsung phones in my near future because they are being stupid.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, unfortunately with new tech, sometimes it requires new equipment. I suppose it's the trade off you chose to make when making the purchase: Do I want to buy this phone with all these amazing specs but be stuck with buying new equipment or do I stick with what works with the equipment I already have? I'm sure some of the reason that the new tech requires purchasing new equipment is to increase more sales of accessories. And some of it may be due to the new specs & design just isn't compatible with old accessories.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So now samsung wants to be like apple? That you have to purchase new accessories with every new phone?

I have tylt wireless charger that I bought 5 years ago. It worked with Motorola phones, lg phones, Sony phones.
Same goes with my air dock wireless car charger, I'm not going to purchase new accessories every year. I'm not going to even CONSIDER samsung phones in my near future because they are being stupid.
Since when does Samsung *not* try to be like Apple? Lmao. The two of them copy each other more than any two phone manufacturers. Unfortunately, tech changes over time.

Besides, you had to get a USB-C for the phone, right? New phones sometimes require new accessories.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Don't buy the excuses here. Samsung did not change the wireless charging for the S8 to update it to current standards. They left it using the same standards as the S7 (which was already 2 years behind). I already have USB-C stuff I bought for the Note 7 which should now once again work. That is why they have 'STANDARDS'. If the phone says it meets those standards you should expect it to work with your equipment that also meets those standards.So far the new wireless charging standards are supposed to be backwards compatible if they indeed did make an unknown change. I was still trying to work with Verizon to get an S8. Maybe I will wait for something that does not come with so many 'gotchas'.