Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
IMHO, the failure to include wireless charging is a mistake. As DMX pointed out, lots of people have spent good money to include wireless charging into their daily routine. For them, the convenience and ease of implementation factor may be even more important than the simple lack of a cord. You sit it down, it charges... You pick it up and go.

Also, the money they've spent for those QI chargers is money that they don't want to go to waste so quickly. QI hasn't been out all that long, so the sting of the initial cost is still tingling the nervous system. If it were me, I'd be saying to myself what a waste of good money to buy a phone now, after the fact, that doesn't have wireless charging. It will hurt sales some, I believe. It really has to.

Furthermore, I think @Mustang02 said it best. Most people like to know where something is all the time, and so having a "station" or QI pad that's there at all times helps you to keep your phone in a place where you know to go for it. I do find myself carrying the wall warts from place to place at times, and then trying to remember exactly where I last left it, or where I'm plugged in. This is why I have tried to keep the main "station" at my bedside.

That said, adding wireless charging to this device shouldn't be all that difficult. It's a very small and flat coil, a couple leads that connect inside and you're done. Now QuickCharge 2.0 and wireless combined, that's a different story. If the device is already capable of QC2.0, in all likelihood changing to wireless will not allow the device to conform to the QC2.0 standard but will instead revert to the standard charging rate while on the wireless pad. This may not be a big deal for many since the pad is more of a landing place rather than a station for many.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
the technology does feel like it isn't completely unkinked. it could be better. better range not having to reallign coils. having it in more places. like say if cars adapt it. or i know i've seen(probably on this site) something about was it ikea? making furnature that would have wireless charging? or something like that idk.

i am an ingress player. i live with my portable battery 10,000 mAh thank you amazon basics.
the turbo charger could be cool but i would probably need it in my car too lol

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
The strange part is, they're somehow convincing the consumer that this is "ok".

WTH is going on?

S5 tap'n

Android fans are becoming more and more like iSheep and accepting what they are told to accept. Samsung especially are becoming big shepherds like the fruit company.

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I prefer turbo charging over qi charging...qi charging heats up your cases and messes em up, and there have been issues with devices not charging all the way or accurately charging...so..for an unlocked bootloader..I could do without it..

I have an older rectangular Samsung QI charger I use for my Nexus 6 and have never experienced it getting hot. My fast charger though gets the thing pretty darn hot.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
the technology does feel like it isn't completely unkinked. it could be better. better range not having to reallign coils. having it in more places. like say if cars adapt it. or i know i've seen(probably on this site) something about was it ikea? making furnature that would have wireless charging? or something like that idk.

i am an ingress player. i live with my portable battery 10,000 mAh thank you amazon basics.
the turbo charger could be cool but i would probably need it in my car too lol
Smurf or Frog?

TapaTurbo

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I don't understand it. Change design? Wireless is pretty popular why didn't you do the original design with it? So the design thing makes no sense at all. Faster charging ? that's been around for a while now. and in no way has anything to do with wireless charging. Are they going to include the turbo charger instead of make you buy it?
The answer is they will release a minor update of the phone that includes wireless charging or sell an add on back cover that includes it to make more money.
There are too many deal breakers on this phone so no the wireless charging isnt the deciding factor. But I sure didnt care about it when i bought the g2 but figured hey it has it so i should use it. Ive come to find it pretty handy and now not sure i would want to do without it.
EXACTLY, both wireless and quick charge have been around the block by now. On top of that, wireless is just simply a pair of pins to the battery wtf are they talking about. You can find wireless back covers on Amazon for a 'couple' bucks like what LG did with the G3 smh. This is just another excuse to pimp the customer out of more money. Geeez I wish these companies would just think things thru... Oh yea, I miss the roms ;-(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have an older rectangular Samsung QI charger I use for my Nexus 6 and have never experienced it getting hot. My fast charger though gets the thing pretty darn hot.
Single coil??? I have the incipio ghost, I have 2 tylt vu's and with both.. The back of the device gets warm...saying that yours doesn't is kinda odd...being as the process does generate some heat..

Now I didn't say it gets overly hot..but..mine gets hotter than if I use my turbo charger..and it has caused the rubber outer casing of my otterbox defenders to warp from that heat..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
EXACTLY, both wireless and quick charge have been around the block by now. On top of that, wireless is just simply a pair of pins to the battery wtf are they talking about. You can find wireless back covers on Amazon for a 'couple' bucks like what LG did with the G3 smh. This is just another excuse to pimp the customer out of more money. Geeez I wish these companies would just think things thru... Oh yea, I miss the roms ;-(
Did you ever try some of the qi wireless charging backs for the vzw g3?? I ordered 5 of them for the vzw variant..not a single one would work ..except the stupid cirlce case..it was a bunch of bull for vzw to just opt out of that anyhow. they're the only carrier that did...after the LG g2 had a sealed battery and was equipped with qi...another vzw win...(being phacetius)

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com

Yeah its all about keeping key features out so they can put them in the next years. here is what people bitched about so well add that well remove these so we can add them back with the minor update next time. Hey if people buy their phones it works , that is their right and what they are about to make money. I for one am still on the g2 , why because nothing has come out that has everything i want and in reality the g2 does what i need and doesn't not do something i want.
I cant do 64 bit with the g2 i don't think and i miss well ahh oh you mean 64bit doesn't do anything for the phone , dammit i wanted 64 bit with no nfc or removable battery because i mean its 64 bit.
I have never used NFC.. But that's because the current uses have no interest for me. But its a major part most phones including apple which makes me believe someone will come up with a use i do want and i wont buy a phone without it. Wireless charging i enjoy at night just setting the phone on it. Its not a fast charging but when used overnight doesn't need to be fast. and new stuff is coming out with chargers built into them for wireless.. cars,monitors,furniture etc. I have found i do miss having the ability to switch out batteries on the g2 like on the nexus so next phone will need that too. Great devices just keep coming out and for some certain things are important and others not. I see a lot excited about usb c oh boy can plug in anyway i want. To me i don't get the thrill never had a problem plugging in my phone 1 way, data transfer and charging speed increases are exciting to me but all i see about usb c is the plug in both ways thing just kinda funny to me the one part of the tech that offers nothing in enhancement is the most talked about :). So While i believe in certain things i want , i do understand the phone makers reason for what they do its all about making money.
SO i am not going to worry about what a phone company puts out other than with my wallet.
What does bother me is that some want to tell us how stupid we are and there's a benefit to us for that lost feature. I understand the phone makers trying to convince people but dont understand others.

As for the latter You thought i was dead huh :) I have a much nicer retirement banner thats on the other sites but since i really didnt come here for a long time i never changed it Ill see if i can do that.
Thanks for being part of that part of my life It was fun.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Single coil??? I have the incipio ghost, I have 2 tylt vu's and with both.. The back of the device gets warm...saying that yours doesn't is kinda odd...being as the process does generate some heat..

Now I didn't say it gets overly hot..but..mine gets hotter than if I use my turbo charger..and it has caused the rubber outer casing of my otterbox defenders to warp from that heat..

I have to agree here the wireless charger does in fact get my g2 warmer than if plugged in.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Did you ever try some of the qi wireless charging backs for the vzw g3?? I ordered 5 of them for the vzw variant..not a single one would work ..except the stupid cirlce case..it was a bunch of bull for vzw to just opt out of that anyhow. they're the only carrier that did...after the LG g2 had a sealed battery and was equipped with qi...another vzw win...(being phacetius)
Those were cheap Chinese counterfits. Even a lot of stuff is but thats another story lol

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Yeah its all about keeping key features out so they can put them in the next years. here is what people bitched about so well add that well remove these so we can add them back with the minor update next time. Hey if people buy their phones it works , that is their right and what they are about to make money. I for one am still on the g2 , why because nothing has come out that has everything i want and in reality the g2 does what i need and doesn't not do something i want.
I cant do 64 bit with the g2 i don't think and i miss well ahh oh you mean 64bit doesn't do anything for the phone , dammit i wanted 64 bit with no nfc or removable battery because i mean its 64 bit.
I have never used NFC.. But that's because the current uses have no interest for me. But its a major part most phones including apple which makes me believe someone will come up with a use i do want and i wont buy a phone without it. Wireless charging i enjoy at night just setting the phone on it. Its not a fast charging but when used overnight doesn't need to be fast. and new stuff is coming out with chargers built into them for wireless.. cars,monitors,furniture etc. I have found i do miss having the ability to switch out batteries on the g2 like on the nexus so next phone will need that too. Great devices just keep coming out and for some certain things are important and others not. I see a lot excited about usb c oh boy can plug in anyway i want. To me i don't get the thrill never had a problem plugging in my phone 1 way, data transfer and charging speed increases are exciting to me but all i see about usb c is the plug in both ways thing just kinda funny to me the one part of the tech that offers nothing in enhancement is the most talked about :). So While i believe in certain things i want , i do understand the phone makers reason for what they do its all about making money.
SO i am not going to worry about what a phone company puts out other than with my wallet.
What does bother me is that some want to tell us how stupid we are and there's a benefit to us for that lost feature. I understand the phone makers trying to convince people but dont understand others.

As for the latter You thought i was dead huh :) I have a much nicer retirement banner thats on the other sites but since i really didnt come here for a long time i never changed it Ill see if i can do that.
Thanks for being part of that part of my life It was fun.
True, nicely put. Phones, cars, computers, appliances, etc etc are all basically the same from year to year, only incremental updates/changes nothing serious. Things got into the useless and overkill hardware race like screen size then size rez and here we have battery that die before lunch smh. But everyone wants a 8k screen at 823 ppi lol. But yea i agree with you, hoping Goos scales down (pun intended) this years Nexus instead of throwing everything in like they did with the Nexu6. N5 was/is beautiful aesthetically and functional...

I knew you were still around, trust me I was a dedicated sorcerer back in the day. Those back to back updates and test builds, oh the nostalgia ;-). Just showing some WELL DESERVED love and respect!!!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I disagree. Consumers aren't demanding high resolution screens. It's just them trying to out spec the other company. Was life that bad on a lousy 4.5 inch 1080p phone? I say no. I was fine with that.
How much detail do we need on these tiny screens?

TapaTurbo