Why The Moto X Pure Does Not Have Wireless Charging

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have two and they work good. You do have to wipe it down once every couple month and the back of the phone has to be glossy smooth.

pesticidal

Reaction score
Ever heard of air dock for cars? Holds your phone with nano suction cups and charges it simultaneous via wireless charging. It's far from gimmick.

I'm unfamiliar with air dock, but I have a docking station in my car that attaches to the air vent. Work great, and makes a perfect spot for the phone to be if I'm using maps.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you can what, not have to plug it in while it sits there anyway? You're not adding any functionality to the phone, you're actually taking away functionality because now you have to leave it sitting there to actually get it to charge instead of being able to pick it up and use it. Seems kind of gimmicky to me.

I will agree that it's convenient when using my phone as a music player in the car and can place it on the car dock without plugging it in. I can certainly love without it though.

But I'm not ranting to put you down for liking it, if you do then great. I just don't personally have a need for it yet.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As I have said before, I think it comes down to the custom Moto Maker options; that's the one common denominator here.
Moto X 2013: No wireless charging, several custom back plate materials (plastic, fiber, wood, leather)
Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx (released in 2013): Wireless charging, no custom back material

Moto X 2014: No wireless charging, several custom back plate materials (plastic, fiber, wood, leather)
Droid Turbo (released in 2014): Wireless charging, no custom back material

Moto X 2015: No wireless charging, several custom back plate materials (plastic, fiber, wood, leather)
Droid ??? (2015): Unknown

The common theme is the custom wood and leather back plate materials. Maybe they are not compatible with wireless charging...I don't know...I am not a phone engineer. But I would gladly take a phone I can completely customize myself on the Moto Maker website and not be like every other Moto X on the planet and live without wireless charging than have a standard color scheme phone that has built in wireless charging. That's the reason I have 3 Moto X's in my family. :cool:

pesticidal

Reaction score
So you can what, not have to plug it in while it sits there anyway? You're not adding any functionality to the phone, you're actually taking away functionality because now you have to leave it sitting there to actually get it to charge instead of being able to pick it up and use it. Seems kind of gimmicky to me.

I can pick it up out of the dock without having a wire plugged in, use it, and then place it back on the dock. So what if it doesn't charge for that 1-2 minutes I'm using it? I don't see it as losing any functionality at all. When stopping the vehicle somewhere, I don't have to unplug it, then stumble around looking for the end of the charge cable when I come back.

Anyhow, good discussion. Interesting to see what features people like and don't care about. I've had a couple Samsungs; I'm anxious to get back to the Moto Assist. I think that's a really nice feature.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Custom backs are irrelevant as most people put a case on the phone anyways.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can pick it up out of the dock without having a wire plugged in, use it, and then place it back on the dock. So what if it doesn't charge for that 1-2 minutes I'm using it? I don't see it as losing any functionality at all. When stopping the vehicle somewhere, I don't have to unplug it, then stumble around looking for the end of the charge cable when I come back.

Anyhow, good discussion. Interesting to see what features people like and don't care about. I've had a couple Samsungs; I'm anxious to get back to the Moto Assist. I think that's a really nice feature.
Good discussion indeed. It's nice debating something with someone and them not taking it personal. That's the beauty of Android, we all have choices and there's not a wrong one.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Custom backs are irrelevant as most people put a case on the phone anyways.

I disagree. Custom backs are totally relevant to the Moto X line. People want to show off their custom designed phone, with custom engraving on the back.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree with Sajo. I know 3 Moto X'ers, 1st gen. 2 have the clear Moto case, 1 has no case.

Tap'n Turbo