What's some reasons to get xoom over ipad2?

UNC

Reaction score
Reasons why:

1. Flash
HTML5
2. Java support
What do you need it for? Explain.
3. Widgets
Can't argue with that, even if I don't use them
4. Music Beta
Doesn't work with linux, still requires invite
5. Unlocked Bootloader
Why does this matter?
6. Tegra 2 Gaming
"Don't make me laugh" ~Shao Kahn... Watch a video of SF4 on iOS and then tell me T2 Gaming can compete with even last years iPad...
7. Android 3.1 with USB support
iOS 4.3.3 with iTunes support
8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?
9. Better Camera
For pictures? yes. For video or video calling. No
10. Correct aspect ratio to watch movies
You lose real estate for that aspect ratio. I for one hate having a narrow strip of a website. It sucks panning back and forth.
11. Chrome browser
Safari?
12. Google Books
iBooks?
13. Updated Multitasking to support 15 tasks...I think
Multitasking?
14. Unlike the Ipad, I don't pay for my apps
iTunes has free apps too...
15. Better productivity (with docs 2 go, or GDocs)
I'm starting to suspect you have actually never held an iPad
16. Better speakers
Depends, but I can't really argue this one..
17. Cheaper than equivalent Ipad
It's $599... How is it cheaper than $599?
18. SD card slot (when it's supported)
That is hilarious

This is why the iPad is a better purchase than the Xoom;
The iPad 2 will be supported for atleast 2 years with updates!!! and iOS will probably have more Tablet-friendly apps until long after the Xoom is EOL...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I'm surprised this response is still up haha...a fanboy is angry...

kdanielson

Reaction score
My iPad does Netflix and Hulu Plus. I am not sure about Cisco VPN. Do you have a colleague that could verify? I'll swap my iPad for your Xoom

I hear you, my iPad does Hulu, Netflix and Cisco VPN, that is why the Xoom is gathering dust. It just kind of hurts, because I really *want* to love the Xoom, it is just underdeveloped right now...

spillner

Reaction score
Reasons why:

1. Flash
HTML5
2. Java support
3. Widgets
4. Music Beta
5. Unlocked Bootloader
Why does this matter?
6. Tegra 2 Gaming
"Don't make me laugh" ~Shao Kahn... Watch a video of SF4 on iOS and then tell me T2 Gaming can compete with even last years iPad...
8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?
9. Better Camera
You lose real estate for that aspect ratio. I for one hate having a narrow strip of a website. It sucks panning back and forth.
11. Chrome browser
Safari?
12. Google Books
iBooks?
Multitasking?
16. Better speakers
That is hilarious

The iPad 2 will be supported for atleast 2 years with updates!!! and iOS will probably have more Tablet-friendly apps until long after the Xoom is EOL...

I agree with a lot of what you said but not all.

1) HTML5 is great but unless the entire internet is using it Apple will always be at a disadvantage when compared to devices that run flash.

2) iPads are locked into using iTunes, that is not the same as USB support. I can take a Xoom and plug it into any computer. Simple drag and drop capabilities are better than iTunes syncing. I can't take a iPad to work and connect it to my computer.

3)Safari is very dated, the browser on 3.1 is just better with its tabbed browsing.

4) The aspect ratio on the Xoom (and most Android devices) are designed for better video experience. Watching movies on a Xoom is nicer than an iPad. I see no problem with the browsing.

I totally agree that gaming is better on the iPad. Recorded video is nicer as well. iPads biggest strength is its apps, which are amazing.

Reaction score
Reasons why:

1. Flash
HTML5
Just as Spillner stated below, Flash is the current standard
2. Java support
Even though Flash is widely used, some enterprise sites rely on java support to function. I don't know of any personally, but my colleague can't access her work offsite from the ipad.
3. Widgets
4. Music Beta
I got an invite, and it's awesome
5. Unlocked Bootloader
Why does this matter?
Good for development purposes, and for hacking purposes, just rooted mine to 1.6ghz, might try 1.7 later.
6. Tegra 2 Gaming
Have you tried Samurai Vengeance 2? Bang Bang Racing? Riptide GP? Pinball HD? - they look amazing!
Like Spillner, I prefer to sync my own stuff, where I want it, and when I want it. I hate not having a file system.
8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?
Google Apps on the Xoom are better than on the Ipad, (Gmail, Calendar, Maps, etc)
9. Better Camera
yah, Ipad camera is bad, but great for video, xoom vice versa, not bad, just not as good
Here's a suggestion, turn your tablet in landscape, now it's wider.......
11. Chrome browser
Safari?
How about...no Safari, Chrome is just a better browser, and checkerboarding is the most annoying thing I've encountered, I even hate it on the Droid Charge...
12. Google Books
iBooks?
same same, both suck compared to a kindle
Multitasking?
I guess both could be counted as "limited" multitasking, as in save states, and residual data transfers.....
true, but can you sideload pirated apps? (without JB), I pay for some apps, but only if the developer has created something that is beneficial to the mobile development, ie Rom Manager, Wifi Tether, SetCPU, independant game developers, etc.
I have, and used it for about 6 hours....dreaded every single moment of it
16. Better speakers
if you purchase with 3g/4g contract, it's cheaper, about $230 cheaper....of course, wifi versions, they the same.
That is hilarious
At least I have the slot....

1) HTML5 is great but unless the entire internet is using it Apple will always be at a disadvantage when compared to devices that run flash.

2) iPads are locked into using iTunes, that is not the same as USB support. I can take a Xoom and plug it into any computer. Simple drag and drop capabilities are better than iTunes syncing. I can't take a iPad to work and connect it to my computer.

3)Safari is very dated, the browser on 3.1 is just better with its tabbed browsing.

4) The aspect ratio on the Xoom (and most Android devices) are designed for better video experience. Watching movies on a Xoom is nicer than an iPad. I see no problem with the browsing.

I totally agree that gaming is better on the iPad. Recorded video is nicer as well. iPads biggest strength is its apps, which are amazing.

BTW: I just want to apologize for calling UNC a bad name, had a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:

UNC

Reaction score

BTW: I just want to apologize for calling UNC a bad name, had a bad day.

I didnt even notice. Thanks for the apology though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Though I prefer android os over ios phone wise, tablet wise I trust apple with the ipad. Not one android tablet out yet has proved the ability to hold a candle to the ipad. Apple has done a good job with the ipad and they offer the apps and the support. I do not mind paying the price for the ipad. The xoom is overpriced and the transformer seems to lag. Only android tablet worth the price is not even a tablet it an e reader. Only android tablet I would buy is the nook color and I would run cm on it. Until the xoom drops to 300 dollars I will pass... considering I would jailbreak the xoom and want to run cm.....that's not worth paying 500 to run an aosp rom on it.

sent from droidforums app

mickmel

Reaction score
Reasons why:

8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?

This was buried in there, but it's a HUGE one. You can talk about apps all day long, but email is (sadly, perhaps) the most used app by the majority of people. If you use Yahoo, Hotmail, self-hosted, etc, iPad is better. However, if you use Gmail it's easily 100x better on Honeycomb than on iPad. It has full support for conversations, starring, archiving, etc. Sure, there are workarounds for some of that on iPad, but it's clunky and it's never going to get better.

Maps and Earth are pretty sweet on Honeycomb as well, but if you want to get into secondary apps like that, iPad clearly has the upperhand overall.

Widgets are pretty killer too, and I'm amazed that iOS5 still won't have them, but that's already been covered.

When people ask me which platform they should go with, my first question involves Gmail and then we go from there.

UNC

Reaction score
Reasons why:

8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?

This was buried in there, but it's a HUGE one. You can talk about apps all day long, but email is (sadly, perhaps) the most used app by the majority of people. If you use Yahoo, Hotmail, self-hosted, etc, iPad is better. However, if you use Gmail it's easily 100x better on Honeycomb than on iPad. It has full support for conversations, starring, archiving, etc. Sure, there are workarounds for some of that on iPad, but it's clunky and it's never going to get better.

Maps and Earth are pretty sweet on Honeycomb as well, but if you want to get into secondary apps like that, iPad clearly has the upperhand overall.

Widgets are pretty killer too, and I'm amazed that iOS5 still won't have them, but that's already been covered.

When people ask me which platform they should go with, my first question involves Gmail and then we go from there.

Can't you just go to the Gmail website and do all of the above?
I hear you though... I guess if Gmail support is the deciding factor than a Xoom may be a better choice...

Reaction score
Reasons why:

8. Better G Apps
What does that mean?

Can't you just go to the Gmail website and do all of the above?
I hear you though... I guess if Gmail support is the deciding factor than a Xoom may be a better choice...

If you solely use the gmail site on an ipad, will you still get notifications?

Have you guys tried quick menus for chrome yet? kinda cool...

Reaction score
What about a tablet as back up for GPS system on a boat?

both tablets should do fine as a gps, but make sure you use a 3rd party gps app (gaia, etc), google maps is great, but i haven't tried it on off-road/ocean terrain.

also make sure you have wifi/cell service, or download maps ahead of time.