Toshiba Expresses Bold Confidence in their Android Tablet - Takes Direct Aim at iPad2

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Keep in mind Toshiba:

1. If there is a skin on that UI - you fail automagically
2. If you don't update the tablet for the next 2 years - you fail automagically
3. If you lock the bootloader - you double-fail automagically
4. If you encrypt/sign the kernel - you triple-fail automagically

Automatically....

Uh, no it's "automagically" I'm fairly sure.
+1 ^ Usually I'm the fascist spell-checker, but I think that's the right word. :)

-Matt

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind Toshiba:

Automatically....

Uh, no it's "automagically" I'm fairly sure.

i like automagically. I see it. ;)

fastfood8891

Reaction score
Ultimately I think it's all about the smartphone, anyway, with tablets and PC's just being dummy shells powered by your smartphone.

i highly doubt this. smartphones can't come close to the cloud for price/performance.

i think its more likely that we'll have a plethora of cheap devices hooked up to the cloud and we'll pay a subscription based on how much resources we use.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ultimately I think it's all about the smartphone, anyway, with tablets and PC's just being dummy shells powered by your smartphone.

i highly doubt this. smartphones can't come close to the cloud for price/performance.

i think its more likely that we'll have a plethora of cheap devices hooked up to the cloud and we'll pay a subscription based on how much resources we use.
Your prediction will prove false for three reasons:

(1) It is intuitive.
(2) It is practical.
(3) It is equitable/fair.

I somehow suspect that our (thus-far) monopolizing tel-cos don't operate according to such principles (their logic and business model seems anchored somewhere in 1983). But who knows...if the line between the internet and wireless communication keeps blurring--and more importantly, if "do no evil" companies like Google keep giving us stuff like GPS and navigation and phone calls for free--maybe things like "free (or low-cost) wifi everywhere" and "pay for consumption" models will eventually happen.

-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Keep in mind Toshiba:

1. I don't want that, but there are probably many who like it.
2. True.
3. I couldn't care less and neither do 95% of the buyers.
4. I couldn't care less and neither do 95% of the buyers.

95% of buyers of these devices just want a tablet that works, that they don't have to modify and that equals or beats the iPad for features, stability and performance. They have no desire to root or add ROMs. Toshiba, nor any other company, will make it or fail depending what the people on this forum think or buy.

fastfood8891

Reaction score
gadgetrants, you bring up a good point about the silly telco's but i imagine they can bend my prediction to suit them. a cloud based solution would actually favor them, giving them even more power than they have now. i really doubt net neutrality is going anywhere with the recent developments, so this outcome could give them some crazy leverage to extract money from us.

i think the main barrier to the cloud is just that it seems to foreign to the average user. they just want to hold their data in their hand or have it in their house, i think. it's a bit much to ask them to understand and get behind this whole cloud business.

on topic, i think this is a pretty bold claim to make before they've even released the specs of the thing (i'm not even sure they've gotten honeycomb to work on it yet).