What's some reasons to get xoom over ipad2?

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by knighthonor, Apr 7, 2011.

1. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

What's some reasons to get xoom over ipad2?
    I know Android is open source, but not sure the benefits of open source os if you not a rooter.

What are the benefits to getting xoom over ipad2. I know Iam a fanboy of android, but I am willing to look past that if there are some true benefit to getting a ipad2. What do you recommend and why?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. MegaThrasher

MegaThrasher New Member

Unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3
  3. Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight Member

If money isn't an option.
  4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

As with any "Which device should I get?" thread -- start with your needs/wants rather than trying to work at it backwards. The reasons that other people have for choosing one or the other don't matter. It's reasons that matter to you that are important. Polling isn't the way to determine your preferences.

Apples and oranges. Open source and rooting aren't directly related to begin with.
  5. UNC

UNC New Member

Thank you dude, most people on this forum equate open source with hackability.. Open source has almost zero to do with anything on this forum. (Other than for the devs) iOS is NOT open source, yet it has been hacked the most.... WinMo is another non open source OS... And its also been hacked...

Open source has to do with the manufacturers getting the OS license for free, and being allowed to modify that source code to their liking... Which Google is now trying to limit....
  6. nolanandy

nolanandy New Member

Nailed down to 5 main reasons why do you need a tablet including size, usability, apps, wifi or not, etc. Then go to Apple store to test the ipad, then do a same for the Xoom....then give Playbook a try as well. Don't read too much into survey and people suggestions.

my 2 cents
  7. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Flash. I never realized how many sites need it until I got and ipad and I can't access them
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Flash is a big selling point. Also expandable memory.

It's easier to use as a media device in my opinion, just drag and drop. You don't have to go through iTunes and all that.

The iPad no doubt is more polished, but i love my Xoom. I use it everyday at home and use it more than my netbook. I can hook it up to my tv via HDMI without any extra adapters and I can use a remote Desktop app (phonemypc).

It really is a great device, but it's a bit pricey. However I spent much time debating whether to get one or not and I can definitely justify spending the money on it.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You can spend more money!!!! :D
  10. timrock

timrock New Member

flash
    expandable memory (when available)
    better cameras
    no itunes
  11. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Well I want to play games, surf the net, have access to cool apps like a nice Dj mix app. I want great media arts development, awesome secondary hardware equipment available. I want best graphics.

Also Iam a guy that like my stuff big. So I like larger screen. Which has the best visuals? Which is better at the games? Which catagories does android apps have the edge over Ios apps for some fun app time?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  12. UNC

UNC New Member

The Xooms cameras aren't better than iPad.... Go take some pictures on em at Verizon store.
    I would say get the iPad, Android tablets are still finicky and most of the apps are not made for tablets... Android tabs won't be polished until they get passed Honeycomb.
  13. Newps

Newps Member

Bought Xoom two weeks ago. Many apps not made specifically for Honeycomb but for the apps I use it doesn't matter. Not made specifically for the Xoom doesn't mean they don"t work. They work fine and look the same as on my Droid, a fact not mentioned in articles on apps. One function that works far better is the internal GPS on my wifi only model. I use my Xoom for flying and the I pad requires an external GPS. My Xoom requires no such thing, the internal GPS works great.
  14. dmesiti

dmesiti New Member

+ real multitaskng
    + switch easy between app
    + tabbed browsing
    + it,s not Apple :) :) :)

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums
  15. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm glad you told me that. I thought multitasking was real. What am I missing?

How difficult is it to switch between apps on an iPad. You push the menu button and you just tap the app.

You can get an app with a tabbed browser. But you can't make it default.

Apple rocks dude. ;)

Maybe you're right, I haven't handled the Xoom so I really don't know but these reasons, specially the last one aren't a great reason to spend 300.00 more.
  16. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Phone cut off: but I want a tablet with the better gaming. I am afraid to get the Ipad2 because I am not sure if the Sony Emulator will support the Xoom. Because right now, the Ipad2 seem to have the better media arts and Gaming. Am I missing something here?

What makes the Xoom the better choice here? What catagories does the Xoom win in?
    At first I though it would win in everything Google related, then I come to find out that Google is supporting the Ios market as well.

So what's the Xoom's selling point?
    Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  17. dmesiti

dmesiti New Member

Well, best way to find out is to get to the store, play 5min with the iPad, then 5min with the Xoom... see what fits best... I did just that, I felt better with the Xoom. It,s more ke. Still adore it. And about the app, the tablet war is just getting started... but I already found what I was looking for. Btw, just got my iTunes Synced with my Xoom... works like a charm. Really, go find out...

18. jfran2

jfran2 New Member

One of the big reasons for me is not having to deal with iTunes. I have three iPods, so I'm no Apple hater, but it is so nice to have the freedom to do what I want with my files directly on the tablet, and not have to always wait on iTunes. My sister is visiting here, and brought her new iPad. She was asking me how to organize her pictures into folders - can't do it until she gets home to Tunes, QuickPic will let me create folders and move pictures to my heart's content! I have a few CDs she would enjoy listening to on the plane - can't add them without iTunes. She has pictures that I would like copies of, but we can't just plug into my computer and download them - the only way is to email them a few at a time.

I work at a radio station, and when we get a CD I want, I can rip it using Windows Media, plug in the Xoom and sync. Very cool! My wife has an iPad, and although it's very nice, I sure wouldn't trade for it! Weight Watchers online uses flash video for their program to enter your foods. Too bad for her - she has to borrow my Xoom or use her laptop to see it!

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  19. mekamom

mekamom New Member

please tell me how you synced your iTunes with your xoom. I just recently got my xoom and so far I love it, just a few things like getting my iTunes, that I want to get worked out.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  20. dmesiti

dmesiti New Member

Hi, I use iTunes only for my music library. Install the apps 'doubletwist' and 'airsync' (need to buy the latter one, not expensive) on your Xoom. You also need to install the 'doubletwist app on your PC (or Mac if you have this one). Once installed, PC and Xoom sync over Wifi, as USB sync is not supported yet (in contrary to what they let you believe via the ad). The doubletwist app on your PC looks just like iTunes. It will sync with iTunes, but can work indepently as it also syncs with your mediaplayer lists if you use those ones. It worked straight away for me:) :)
    Hope this helps...

Search tags for this page
can i play pogo on the motorola xoom tablet?

cool things to do with a motorola xoom

cool things to do with a xoom

cool things to do with motorola xoom

cool things you can do with the motorola xoom
things you can do with motorola xoom