What's some reasons to get xoom over ipad2?

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Phone cut off: but I want a tablet with the better gaming. I am afraid to get the Ipad2 because I am not sure if the Sony Emulator will support the Xoom. Because right now, the Ipad2 seem to have the better media arts and Gaming. Am I missing something here?

What makes the Xoom the better choice here? What catagories does the Xoom win in?
At first I though it would win in everything Google related, then I come to find out that Google is supporting the Ios market as well.

So what's the Xoom's selling point?
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dmesiti

Reaction score
Well, best way to find out is to get to the store, play 5min with the iPad, then 5min with the Xoom... see what fits best... I did just that, I felt better with the Xoom. It,s more ke. Still adore it. And about the app, the tablet war is just getting started... but I already found what I was looking for. Btw, just got my iTunes Synced with my Xoom... works like a charm. Really, go find out...

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

jfran2

Reaction score
One of the big reasons for me is not having to deal with iTunes. I have three iPods, so I'm no Apple hater, but it is so nice to have the freedom to do what I want with my files directly on the tablet, and not have to always wait on iTunes. My sister is visiting here, and brought her new iPad. She was asking me how to organize her pictures into folders - can't do it until she gets home to Tunes, QuickPic will let me create folders and move pictures to my heart's content! I have a few CDs she would enjoy listening to on the plane - can't add them without iTunes. She has pictures that I would like copies of, but we can't just plug into my computer and download them - the only way is to email them a few at a time.

I work at a radio station, and when we get a CD I want, I can rip it using Windows Media, plug in the Xoom and sync. Very cool! My wife has an iPad, and although it's very nice, I sure wouldn't trade for it! Weight Watchers online uses flash video for their program to enter your foods. Too bad for her - she has to borrow my Xoom or use her laptop to see it!

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

mekamom

Reaction score
Well, best way to find out is to get to the store, play 5min with the iPad, then 5min with the Xoom... see what fits best... I did just that, I felt better with the Xoom. It,s more ke. Still adore it. And about the app, the tablet war is just getting started... but I already found what I was looking for. Btw, just got my iTunes Synced with my Xoom... works like a charm. Really, go find out...

please tell me how you synced your iTunes with your xoom. I just recently got my xoom and so far I love it, just a few things like getting my iTunes, that I want to get worked out.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

dmesiti

Reaction score
Hi, I use iTunes only for my music library. Install the apps 'doubletwist' and 'airsync' (need to buy the latter one, not expensive) on your Xoom. You also need to install the 'doubletwist app on your PC (or Mac if you have this one). Once installed, PC and Xoom sync over Wifi, as USB sync is not supported yet (in contrary to what they let you believe via the ad). The doubletwist app on your PC looks just like iTunes. It will sync with iTunes, but can work indepently as it also syncs with your mediaplayer lists if you use those ones. It worked straight away for me:) :)
Hope this helps...

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Back it
So what's the advantage?
I can see clearly now from what I have read, that IOS is better when it comes to media art and gaming (currently ) but what are the advantages of Xoom? I can't figure out an advantage. Pretty much anything I come up with, it seems ipad2 can do the same things.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sounds like you came here to get talked out of getting an Ipad or talked into getting a Xoom, if you have that much pull for a Ipad you should just get that. Pretty straight forward either you like IOS or you like Android, either you want Itunes running you media life or you want freedom. Xoom is heavier with a little bit bigger screen, Ipad is said to have better viewing on the screen but a smidge smaller screen.

Ipad has some 60,000 apps designed specifically for the Ipad/Ipad 2, Android does not even come close to that. Ipad does not have the ports that the Xoom has (granted some are not "active" yet but they will be) ie 4g,usb,hdmi,micosd. So as others have said it is all matter of use and personal preference.

All of this info was gathered easily from reading many reviews on the best tablet on the market right now just a google search away. Think you need to get hands on both and make a decision on one that you like the best, bestbuy has both of them in stores.

Personally I have never liked Apple especially as of late because a vast majority of people by them just because there is an Apple on it and not because it is the best out there. They just get it because it is something new from Apple and they have been entranced to think they have to have it even though they still have something that is basically the same. IE...

[video=youtube;7bcryQUuDwM]http://youtu.be/7bcryQUuDwM]YouTube - ‪iPhone4 vs HTC Evo cartoon HD‬‏[/video]

Hope you come to a decision and are happy with it.

hitdog042

Reaction score
Id say flash is the main thing. IPad has the better apps. I took my xoom back once it couldn't do MLB at bat.

Some had luck getting MLB.tv to work but I didn't.

Sucks for me. I like android better. Maybe I just need to wait a year.

I also gave the flyer a shot. Really neat device. But no MLB.tv again. Ugh.

I'm a big baseball guy. Like watching it on the go.

Also Netflix wasn't there. Not sure about now.

hitdog042

Reaction score
I don't care who makes it. I just want it to do what I like. I like Netflix and MLB.

The price tag is also too high considering the Asus and Iconia are a lot less with working ports.

Reaction score
Reasons why:

1. Flash
2. Java support
3. Widgets
4. Music Beta
5. Unlocked Bootloader
6. Tegra 2 Gaming
7. Android 3.1 with USB support
8. Better G Apps
9. Better Camera
10. Correct aspect ratio to watch movies
11. Chrome browser
12. Google Books
13. Updated Multitasking to support 15 tasks...I think, I forgot
14. Unlike the Ipad, I don't pay for my apps
15. Better productivity (with docs 2 go, or GDocs)
16. Better speakers
17. Cheaper than equivalent Ipad
18. SD card slot (when it's supported)

There may be more, but only things I can think of now.

PM me if you have specific questions.

kdanielson

Reaction score
I bought my Xoom on release day and was so excited to have it. Until I found the SDCard would not work, and you could not log in to a Cisco VPN, and you could not run Netflix, and you could not run Hulu.

My main reasons for getting it was to log into work if needed (it can't) and use as entertainment when on the road (it can't).

So, I tried to work around those things, but now is has just been gathering dust on my shelf for the last two months. Maybe someday the Android OS will catch up and make these things available, until then it is just an expensive paperweight... :angry:

Reaction score
I bought my Xoom on release day and was so excited to have it. Until I found the SDCard would not work, and you could not log in to a Cisco VPN, and you could not run Netflix, and you could not run Hulu.

My main reasons for getting it was to log into work if needed (it can't) and use as entertainment when on the road (it can't).

So, I tried to work around those things, but now is has just been gathering dust on my shelf for the last two months. Maybe someday the Android OS will catch up and make these things available, until then it is just an expensive paperweight... :angry:

This might help, sorry if it doesn't, I don't use any vpn clients :p

New Motorla Xoom, any hope for Cisco VPN client? - Android Forums

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

My iPad does Netflix and Hulu Plus. I am not sure about Cisco VPN. Do you have a colleague that could verify? I'll swap my iPad for your Xoom