Xoom over priced!

spillner

Reaction score
All tablets are over priced. These are toys that do the same thing as a phone but less than a laptop.

kennyc

Reaction score
All tablets are over priced. These are toys that do the same thing as a phone but less than a laptop.

Not exactly. Web browsing or ebook reading on a phone is a PITA. Not so on a tablet.

If all you do is text and twitter then yeah you may be right.

UNC

Reaction score

Not exactly. Web browsing or ebook reading on a phone is a PITA. Not so on a tablet.

If all you do is text and twitter then yeah you may be right.

Finally I get to agree with you!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I used to think this way as well until I really looked over the possible advantages of a tablet, which is why i pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a Xoom wifi.

Traveling these things are great, I can watch my shows/movies, play some games, and even get online if I need to. There's also a couple ebooks I want to read so that'll be good for it too. Also the battery life is 10hrs+, compared to my netbook that has a battery life of maybe 4hrs when playing movies.

At home, I can see myself using it by hooking it up to my tv via hdmi. I don't have an HTPC, only a ps3 to watch media files and it's a pain to turn on the ps3, change the video on my tv, and then convert everything to play on the ps3. With the Xoom I'll be able to just plug in the HDMI and i'm good to go.

you can argue that a laptop has the same capabilities, but the battery doesn't last as long and I don't have that kind of laptop (I have a cr48 and a netbook). Plugging the a/c adapter into the wall just to watch on my bigger tv doesn't make much sense to me either.

$600 is a little pricey, but I think I can find more than enough uses to justify the price, plus I REALLY wanted to check out android 3.0. I do alot of media with my phone, figure a tablet makes alot of sense in my case plus I got alot of roadtrips planned this year.

just my .02

nolanandy

Reaction score
My friends said that tablet is great when you lie down on bed :) laptop hurts your hand/wrist, smart phone is too small, and it hurts you after awhile. He said that tablet is also good when you are on a road. For $700 ipad 1, his kids enjoy it with great video resolution much better than $2k car system. Just for these 2 reasons, it's worth to look into a tablet, Xoom or iPad.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My friends said that tablet is great when you lie down on bed :) laptop hurts your hand/wrist, smart phone is too small, and it hurts you after awhile. He said that tablet is also good when you are on a road. For $700 ipad 1, his kids enjoy it with great video resolution much better than $2k car system. Just for these 2 reasons, it's worth to look into a tablet, Xoom or iPad.

plus it's mobile, you can't just go taking out a car system :p

kennyc

Reaction score

Agreed. dancedroid

wvbrian

Reaction score
Verizon has zoom tablets for $199 for limited time.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mobius999

Reaction score
For $200 I can get a very portable 10" laptop , 10 hour battery capable to run Win 7 , Mac OSX , Ubuntu , Android or any other OS compatible with the x86 instruction set . For $800 I can get something like a 12" x201 that packs an i7 processor ( that's way more GFlops than Xoom could ever think of ) , 1TB storage space , DDR3 , 10 hours battery life etc. . I can set that in a docking station and it's capable of running Crysis 2 or CoD in full HD 3D Vision on a 50" 3D Tv or it can power 3 surround monitors in Eyefinity . I can take that with me and work in any imaginable program from high end 3D design or VM to simple internet browsing in a FULL browser . I think Xoom is nothing else than an expensive toy for spoiled kids .

No netbook is going to run Crysis 2 well if at all. Neither is an x201 since they are all integrated gfx chipsets. Try high end 3d design and rendering with either and you'll have time for lots of 3 hour naps while you wait. Also, the cheapest price on a i7 x201 right now if you google it is over $1400, a far cry from your $800 claim and almost three times the Xoom wifi price of $599.

I'd love it if your fantasies were true, but sadly they are not. If you want to bag on a Hyundai, don't use the benefits of a Porsche as your argument.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
No netbook is going to run Crysis 2 well if at all. Neither is an x201 since they are all integrated gfx chipsets. Try high end 3d design and rendering with either and you'll have time for lots of 3 hour naps while you wait. Also, the cheapest price on a i7 x201 right now if you google it is over $1400, a far cry from your $800 claim and almost three times the Xoom wifi price of $599.

I'd love it if your fantasies were true, but sadly they are not. If you want to bag on a Hyundai, don't use the benefits of a Porsche as your argument.

Last time when I searched eBay there were some x201's at $800 buy it now price . And yes , it can run Crysis 2 , you need an external video card adapter for that , that's why I mentioned setting it in a docking station . [video=youtube;RVamlASDMek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVamlASDMek[/video]

Bonus : it can also be stepped on
[video=youtube;jiNmeNV4e-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiNmeNV4e-Q&feature=related[/video]

For how much it offerers , Xoom could be way cheaper , I bet the production cost of this isn't more than $250 , the only advantage is it's capacitive touchscreen .

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no doubt the m11x is by far a superior machine, but that's like comparing apples and oranges to me.

the way you would use the Xoom compared to the m11x, or any netbook/laptop in general, is different to me. the xoom was made to be a media device, while laptops/netbooks are portable computers. I used to think that tablets were nothing but netbooks without a physical keyboard, but the way they're used and the crowd they're aimed at are completely different.

a netbook is great for school, or with the m11x, even gaming. you're offered a desktop experience in a small portable package. a tablet on the other hand is a straight media device (at least to me) and is strictly used for videos and some light browsing with the occasional facebook and all that. a tablet has some fun little games like angry birds and in the xoom's case, can even be a navi system.

I own say "the big three" (netbook, laptop, and desktop). around the house I find myself using my desktop or laptop and for school i use my netbook. 10.1" may be the same on my netbook and soon-to-be xoom, but I've never used my netbook as a media device or anything since it cant really hook up to my tv or any other media device for that matter. Not to mention the battery is still pretty low even though i have a 9cell in there already. Plus if I'm laying down and want to browse or watch a movie the Xoom fills that void perfectly and more.

Yes the Xoom can be much cheaper, as it probably costs maybe 1/4 of what the parts are combined to assemble a xoom, but you could also argue the same for the m11x. These things are put together for us and then marked up....just the way the world works. No one is going to put together a device that has the total cost of parts of maybe $160 and then sell it for $175.

All depends on the user. You gave yourself enough reasons to not own one or consider one, which is great, i respect that, as i was once in your camp. However, I did think this through thoroughly and can justify spending $600 for something I know I will get alot of use out of. I see myself bringing the xoom on say roadtrips or flights vs my netbook due to it's pretty sad battery life, weight, and bulk (due to battery). I'd use it alot more around the house compared to my laptop and it can hook up to my tv unlike my netbook and laptop.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Some may think the Xoom is priced just fine but look at the Asus EEPAD Transformer. The placeholders at sites are around 565. To me it's a much better deal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk