Xoom over priced!

kennyc

Reaction score
For $200 I can get a very portable 10" laptop , 10 hour battery capable to run Win 7 , Mac OSX , Ubuntu , Android or any other OS compatible with the x86 instruction set . For $800 I can get something like a 12" x201 that packs an i7 processor ( that's way more GFlops than Xoom could ever think of ) , 1TB storage space , DDR3 , 10 hours battery life etc. . I can set that in a docking station and it's capable of running Crysis 2 or CoD in full HD 3D Vision on a 50" 3D Tv or it can power 3 surround monitors in Eyefinity . I can take that with me and work in any imaginable program from high end 3D design or VM to simple internet browsing in a FULL browser . I think Xoom is nothing else than an expensive toy for spoiled kids .

Links please.

sloppy

Reaction score
For $200 I can get a very portable 10" laptop , 10 hour battery capable to run Win 7 , Mac OSX , Ubuntu , Android or any other OS compatible with the x86 instruction set . For $800 I can get something like a 12" x201 that packs an i7 processor ( that's way more GFlops than Xoom could ever think of ) , 1TB storage space , DDR3 , 10 hours battery life etc. . I can set that in a docking station and it's capable of running Crysis 2 or CoD in full HD 3D Vision on a 50" 3D Tv or it can power 3 surround monitors in Eyefinity . I can take that with me and work in any imaginable program from high end 3D design or VM to simple internet browsing in a FULL browser . I think Xoom is nothing else than an expensive toy for spoiled kids .

SWEET, I love busting my arse everyday to be a spoiled middle aged man. :) clear who the child is with comments like yours. I have that laptop you speak of and its been sitting on my desk in my office for the last 4 weeks. I can vouch for the fact that carrying the xoom around is a whole lot nicer than carrying around my 12inch AW M11. If I do need into any of three PC's I made need to access to. I remote in from my xoom. While on the jobsite popping my xoom out and doing what I need to do is a lot nicer than pulling my laptop out opening it up. Waiting for it to come out of hibernation then waiting for it to find my 3g signal. As stated in my earlier post its much different and attractive when one is trying to be productive versus just playing games. I'll leave the game playing to Sony and Microsoft.

PEOPLE?, It's a xoom forum if you don't like them or use them. Why are you here?

gquiring

Reaction score
This is all going to boil down to what people want. Some don't care about hacking/rooting or having total flexibility. They want an appliance where you turn it on and it just works. The Xoom (really Android HoneyComb) won't do that 100% at this time with all the bugs.

I have been playing with both the Xoom and iPad and I certainly love the no restrictions rules on the Xoom but it's damn frustrating with many apps not being HoneyComb compatible right now. The iPad is a polished tablet but restricted. And of course there is iTunes which many dislike including myself.

I think a lot of people buying a tablet are not computer savvy. Those should stay away from HoneyComb tablets for now. Apple has the edge right now until all the kinks are worked out of HoneyComb.

If you are the kind of person that is going to buy a new tablet every year (Like me) I am seriously considering the iPad 2 for right now. Why? Because it works and all the apps are compatible. I think a year from now Android is going to rule but right now it's beta. I don't want to lay down $800 bucks and have to work through apps that don't run right and install hacks to enable USB and SD functionality. And then having to mail the Xoom back for the 4G upgrade is absurd. They should have waited until the hardware was complete.

kennyc

Reaction score
This is all going to boil down to what people want. Some don't care about hacking/rooting or having total flexibility. They want an appliance where you turn it on and it just works. The Xoom (really Android HoneyComb) won't do that 100% at this time with all the bugs.

What bugs? Specifics please.

BACAbone

Reaction score

SWEET, I love busting my arse everyday to be a spoiled middle aged man. :) clear who the child is with comments like yours. I have that laptop you speak of and its been sitting on my desk in my office for the last 4 weeks. I can vouch for the fact that carrying the xoom around is a whole lot nicer than carrying around my 12inch AW M11. If I do need into any of three PC's I made need to access to. I remote in from my xoom. While on the jobsite popping my xoom out and doing what I need to do is a lot nicer than pulling my laptop out opening it up. Waiting for it to come out of hibernation then waiting for it to find my 3g signal. As stated in my earlier post its much different and attractive when one is trying to be productive versus just playing games. I'll leave the game playing to Sony and Microsoft.

PEOPLE?, It's a xoom forum if you don't like them or use them. Why are you here?

+1 if you think it is over priced, too buggy, unfinished, not enough apps for honeycomb blah blah blah then go troll some iPhad sites. i personally use the hell out of my Xoom and am happy i bought it.

kennyc

Reaction score
Man I love my Xoom! Sitting here at the kitchen table after a lovely breakfast, reading email and posting on forums. Life is good! dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid

UNC

Reaction score
Sorry, native code FTW. iOS is way better than you let on. There's a reason the OS isn't different than the iPhone OS... Good coding and good design. Google had to bake up a special OS version to support tablets because <3.0 just doesn't work well.

The Xoom truly is a beta release though. SD broken, flash problems, HDMI errors and no 4g without sending it in at a future date!!! Either have everything work or don't sell it.

My brother has a Xoom and loves it though so to each his own.

Uhhh....Android Leap Frogs Apple in Mobile OS Market Share | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

if you wanna compare apples to apples (pun intended)...no camera, no Flash, no sd card, no usb....

Sure you can cripple a device and release it or you can release a device that has all those things and is build for the future instead of being a dead end and tied to only "approved" software that a company allows to be run.

First of all, why'd you post that link? I didn't say iOS had MORE users I said they had a higher % of return customers.. meaning happy customers...

Also, building towards the future is ridiculous in the mobile tech industry. By the time you can send in your Xoom to get your LTE radio installed there will be newer, better, and cheaper tabs available...

Had they just omitted the things that don't work, then the Xoom may have released at a reasonable price.

Instead you are "future-proofing" for no reason. If you want all those features why pay such a high premium when you could just wait until a tablet releases that actually has those features working??

You buy the iPad 2 and you are not paying for anything that doesn't yet work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

kennyc

Reaction score
Sorry, native code FTW. iOS is way better than you let on. There's a reason the OS isn't different than the iPhone OS... Good coding and good design. Google had to bake up a special OS version to support tablets because <3.0 just doesn't work well.

The Xoom truly is a beta release though. SD broken, flash problems, HDMI errors and no 4g without sending it in at a future date!!! Either have everything work or don't sell it.

My brother has a Xoom and loves it though so to each his own.

Uhhh....Android Leap Frogs Apple in Mobile OS Market Share | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

if you wanna compare apples to apples (pun intended)...no camera, no Flash, no sd card, no usb....

Sure you can cripple a device and release it or you can release a device that has all those things and is build for the future instead of being a dead end and tied to only "approved" software that a company allows to be run.

First of all, why'd you post that link? I didn't say iOS had MORE users I said they had a higher % of return customers.. meaning happy customers...

Also, building towards the future is ridiculous in the mobile tech industry. By the time you can send in your Xoom to get your LTE radio installed there will be newer, better, and cheaper tabs available...

Had they just omitted the things that don't work, then the Xoom may have released at a reasonable price.

Instead you are "future-proofing" for no reason. If you want all those features why pay such a high premium when you could just wait until a tablet releases that actually has those features working??

Hee-Hee. I didn't pay any more for my zoom than an iPad2 and it has more features, more resolution, faster processing. etc. So I guess the joke is on someone else.

UNC

Reaction score

Hee-Hee. I didn't pay any more for my zoom than an iPad2 and it has more features, more resolution, faster processing. etc. So I guess the joke is on someone else.

Why do you think the Xoom has a faster processor? iPad has a dualcore 1ghz processor that is made specifically for iOS...

gquiring

Reaction score
The Xoom benchmarks have shown that HoneyComb needs a major tuning overhaul. The Xoom CPU is fine but the OS is not very tuned. Even if you give the Xoom a 23% boost in the numbers because of the extra pixels it has to process (1280x800 vs 1024x768) the Xoom performs poorly. Now that could change down the road but right now it's not very fast. That's my point, why invest in something that could easily take a year to catch up.

There are virtually no dedicated Honeycomb apps and many of the Android apps don't run well or at all on Honeycomb. It's gonna be a waiting game. I was not very impressed with the laggy keyboard response and the rotation delays that the Xoom had. I can't see spending $800 and waiting when the iPad 2 is rock solid with thousands of dedicated apps for it.

kennyc

Reaction score

Why do you think the Xoom has a faster processor? iPad has a dualcore 1ghz processor that is made specifically for iOS...

Ah the old move the goal posts ploy. Sorry I'm not playing. Where's there iPad's Flash, usb, sdcard? Why do ipadders have to purchase every app through iTunes and give stevo a cut of the profits, why?

To get back to the thread topic. The Xoom is NOT overpriced, particularly considering the competition.

UNC

Reaction score

Ah the old move the goal posts ploy. Sorry I'm not playing. Where's there iPad's Flash, usb, sdcard? Why do ipadders have to purchase every app through iTunes and give stevo a cut of the profits, why?

To get back to the thread topic. The Xoom is NOT overpriced, particularly considering the competition.

Aren't the flash and sdcard slot somewhat broken on the Xoom?

Why do you need flash anyway? YouTube works on iPad.

Why doesn't the Xoom have facetime, a full movie editing suite, ladida and many other things the iPad has? For the premium you pay, you'd think it would least match those things AND add more. Not just have different features.

Back to the topic about it being overpriced... The iPad is the clear market leader and the elephant in the room that sets the pricing for the entire market. To be so much higher than the widely accepted leader is downright ridiculous.

kennyc

Reaction score

Why doesn't the Xoom have facetime, a full movie editing suite, ladida and many other things the iPad has? For the premium you pay, you'd think it would least match those things AND add more. Not just have different features.

Back to the topic about it being overpriced... The iPad is the clear market leader and the elephant in the room that sets the pricing for the entire market. To be so much higher than the widely accepted leader is downright ridiculous.

Sorry but you just wrong. Flash is a primary method of delivering web content.

Tablets are not meant to be video (or audio or music) creation/editing workstations I don't know why anyone would even consider it. Dumb idea.

As far as market leader. Things have just changed. Android is the leader and the Xoom has more and better features than your so-claimed market leader which is held together with glue and double stick tape. :icon_eek:

gquiring

Reaction score

Tablets are not meant to be video (or audio or music) creation/editing workstations I don't know why anyone would even consider it. Dumb idea.

As far as market leader. Things have just changed. Android is the leader and the Xoom has more and better features than your so-claimed market leader which is held together with glue and double stick tape. :icon_eek:
Flash used to be, but not anymore. The fact that Adobe has a Flash to HTML5 dev kit should tell you Flash days are numbered. Flash is old school. It's power consumption and bloatware does not work well with mobile devices. Apple made the right move banning Flash from iOS.

UNC

Reaction score

Android is not the leader... I will bet you anything that iPad2 sells more in month one than the Xoom will total.

I am willing to bet the iPad2 outsells all other tablets combined this year...

It's funny that you say tablets aren't for editing and blah blah blah. But then you talk about flash delivering content... All the content flash delivers is either superfluous, able to be delivered via other methods (HTML5), or is just childish. (Slap Obama, win an iPad!!) Lol.

So watching flash crap is important, but actually creating web content is dumb. Ok, I get it. It's only dumb if you can't do it...