[Video] Seidio vs. Moto vs. MIKRADLE

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey folks,

It happened that i got the 3 mighty powers in my hands. The docking stations/cradles i could review
have been designed by motorola, Seidio and Cuskit, a member of our forums!

Now here are the 3 contestants:

url

The Motorola Media Station mady by Motorola

BD2-CRDTMTDD-2.jpg

The Seidio Desktop Cradle by our supporting vendor

profilepic9276_2.gif

The MIKRADLE by cuskit

At this review, i will take a deeper look on following Issues:
1 packaging for shipping and prices
2 optics, handling accessories
3 total overview

PLUS: DROIDFORUMS is giving away all three of em :icon_ banana:

1 packaging and shipping:

Motorola Media Station:
i bought the MediaStation when it was hard to get here in germany, via ebay, from a very kind fellow jk0381. It took a while to get it here, but that is a normal thing, and as german carriers where charging 50€ (68$) for the Station, he only asked for 27€ (38$). So that was a cheap shot. I ordered 3 of em and all have been in good conditions and i got 15% off after the 2nd one.

The MultimediaStation came in a padded envelope, being surrounded by additional padding material. The only thing that came off a little negative, was the used looking original box.

The MIKRADLE:
Thanks to our dear member cuskit, i got the first MIKRADLE of the new "Black Edition". The MIKRADLE is handmade, and i have to thank cuskit for giving it away free, to take part in this side by side review. The MIKRADLE is aviable through cuskit on ebay, and it comes short with $ 24,99. Its all wooden and includes a little magnet to switch on the DROIDS dock application. It came in a very compact and stable box, with padding material. No negatives to find here, except for maybe a missing tracking id.

The Seidio Desktop Cradle
A big thanks here as well to Seidio, a supporting vendor of DROIDFORUMS.NET, for giving aways the Desktop Charging/Synch Cradle for this competition for free. Being packed in a huge FedEx box, containing a rather small box and being surrounded by padding material, the cradle arrived safe here in germany. Also a tracking ID was provided by Seidio, the only one of all contestants who did this.
$ 34,99 is the regular price on that item, available through Seidio Online shop here: click me

Now see the unboxing clips!

[video=youtube;b2EEHAicxPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2EEHAicxPY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
2 optics, handling accessories

The Motorola Multimedia Station:
The Moto Media Station is one smacker for old eyes. This might be one of the reasons, why it was sold out everywhere for a very long time. Its slim, but it has enough weight to be stable and a sync/charge cable can be plugged in directly to it. Also having your DROID plugged and unplugged with only one hand is so easy, no need for 2 handed action! Its colors black and silver makes the multimedia station real eye candy, and ive never seen a cradle lick it before, for any device i had, wether it was a blackberry, a samsung or whatever it was. So the optics and handling are reated 5/5 for the moto product here. Only slight negative would be, that you can see every single one of my fingerprints on the cradle. But i can live with that!

It also was shipped with an original powerplug and with an original USB cable. It was the only product of all coming with any accessories!

Watch a quick handling video here:

[video=youtube;7g0W6Eamskw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0W6Eamskw[/video]

The MIKRADLE:
The MIKRADLE is one special cradle, i loved to have in my hand. Its leightweight, but though its a stable cradle. Its selfmade, all wooden and it is available in different colors, reaching from black to brown to red to yellow and so on. Also, during the next weeks, cuskit is releasing his new "Stealth Series" and im all excited for what its going to look. Two negative things came off while dealing some days with this cradle. Number one is the angle. The angle the DROID is lying inside of that cradle is a little bit to low for me, just some degrees higher would be perfect, but as it is wooden and selfmade, there should be no problem, optimising it. The secound BIG negative is the way you have to mount the USB cable. There is now slider or anything else keeping the cable on the cradle when removing the droid with one hand. There is no room for one hand action, when the cable is on the device. Maybe cuskit is able to think of something to fix that. I need my phone always connected to the pc when docked and if it rings i have to be able to release it from the cradle with one hand.

A BIG plus is the possibilty to put a modified DROID in the cradle with NO problems. That means, if you are using a case, an extended battery or anything else that makes you DROID bigger, is no problem for the MIKRADLE, a feature i really appreciate. So the perfect looks, combined with two big negatives and one big positives get the MIKRADLE a 4/5.

Watch a quick handling movie here:

[video=youtube;jPbXFUpOOkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPbXFUpOOkQ[/video]

The SEIDIO Desktop Synch/Charge Cradle:
Well, Seidio is a well known brand for accessories on nearly all smartphones, and no wonder, they always come up with good products. As i first saw the picture of this cradle i thought "oh my goodness, this thing is HUGE and BIG!". But, taking it in my hands, the cradle came up with a leight weight and also a very smooth look on that black/grey colors. The USB plug has a little green LED to show wether its plugged or not. Also, the cradle comes with a little inlay, that, if removed, gives you the possibility to plug in your DROID with a case. Also SEIDIO told me that its also possible to plug a droid with seidio's extended battery. Bad i couldnt test, because i had none ;)
All in one, the rather masculine look is a big plus to this cradle, but there is two sides of the medal. Like it is with the MIKRADLE, there is no one handed action for me on the Desktop Cradle. To bad, because thats one thing i really need, but besides that its a real good product which i, like the MIKRADLE enjoyed using it for some days!

Watch a short handling movie here:

[video=youtube;k--RsHUd2oE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--RsHUd2oE[/video]

Last edited:
OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
3 Over all view:

I have been using all 3 cradles now for several days each, and still couldnt decide which one to take as my designated desktop cradle. The MIKRADLE was the one for me, that had the best looks with that black painted wood, i really liked that. The Multimediastation was the one, that was best to handle with one hand, but as my fiance started being crazy for its looks, i wasnt so sure about it anymore ;)
The SEIDIO Desktop Cradle was the one, providing space for extended needs, like a DROID with a case. Also, i liked the sharp edges of that cradle, giving it a real masculine look. But, finally i decided for the original Motorola Multimedia Station, as handling is most important to me. Prices are pretty even on all these products and i really thank again SEIDIO and CUSKIT for giving it away free as well as paying shipment!

THANK YOU BOTH!

Also thanks for the deal they both made possible. We are giving away all this stuff for free, to our members as soon as the Video-Intro contest ends on the 19th. of february!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/16664-win-win-win.html

So take care ;)

Tigger

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great comparison, RTT. I'm a MiKradle fan. It goes well with the color of my desk. As you note, it lacks a one-handed operation, but since I have two hands, I cope. I, too, wish there were a way to simply mount the Droid in the MiKradle without fiddling with the cable, but the simple elegance of the dock makes up for it, imo.

I have a Seidio case on my phone and I purchased the MiKradle before the Seidio dock was available. I REALLY appreciate the fact that if I decide to get almost any other type of protective case the MiKradle will accommodate it. Neither of the other options offers that flexibility.

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Yea, thats true. but with my job and way of life, i cant wait until i removed the DROID from the cradle, though i really liked it. Would be nice if cuskit thinks over something to attach the cable so, that you only need one hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought the Seidio and Motorola cradles looked the best. I wasn't impressed with Mikradle.

cuskit

Reaction score
Tigger,

I wish to thank you for that very unbiased and no punches pulled evaluation! I was honored that you requested my product for a comparison evaluation against two very formidable and excellent quality docks for what I consider a "David and Goliath" evaluation! ;)

I'd like to commend both you and the droidforums.net for extending the privileges here that MIKRADLE has been enjoying; both the exposure and liberties with my Multimedia Dock Thread. I understand that my product is not for everyone - but for those who do and have entertained the choice of purchasing - I appreciate the overwhelming response and countless heartfelt compliments for this cottage business I've engaged in. The members here are an awesome group - and MIKRADLE would never have enjoyed the success it has without this forum!

So, as a Supporting Vendor of this site - thanks again, RinTinTigger, for letting me run against the big boys. I'm proud to say I'm holding my own and continue to look forward to continued growth in the coming months. I will definitely take to heart your comments on possible changes on both the angle as well as a "true" one handed docking maneuver (is that really an important requirement)? In all fairness - I don't believe any of the three docks were designed with the intent of one handed operation. The angle of lie is easy enough to change, though truthfully, across the several hundreds that I've sold to date - not one buyer has given me any indication that the viewing angle (45 degrees) should be changed. Just moving the cradle forward or back on your desk will actually accomplish that. As for one handed operation, "self docking" is kind of restricting as the MIKRADLE was originally designed out of frustration over having to remove my cover in order to dock - hence the absence of a restricting "permanent" plug. The number of sales have justified that I am not alone in this wish for keeping my cover on while charging! ;) But I am working on some possible alternatives for that. Meanwhile - this cradle is also utilized as a "resting station" also - for those times you may just wish to have a consistent and attractive station to set your phone when working at your desk, etc. Which also prompted my use of several solid wood specie choices (oak, cherry, walnut and mahogany as well as solid black lacquer). It was not specifically designed to be used only as a charging station, although it easily accomplishes that with a cable.

I understand that you will now be giving away this particular MIKRADLE in a contest. I'd like to state here that should the winner of the contest desire one of the other available colors I offer (walnut, cherry, mahogany or oak) I would happily send them (free of charge, of course) a MIKRADLE in their personal choice of color rather than the black. If that is preferable by the winner - you can just notify me with a name and address - and I'll ship one out at that point. Meanwhile - you may either keep the black model for yourself or offer it in another contest for someone who does desire a black MIKRADLE.

In closing, I'd like once more to say THANKS! :) cuskit

Last edited:
OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey cuskit,

whooooow wall of text :D

1st
The Mikradle i recieved is going away to a mod, if that is ok for you, just to appreciate their hard work! If that is not ok, just let me know, then ill give away another dock. NO PROBLEM here :D

2nd
the viewing angle just in MY EYES was just 5 degrees to low. all my sitting positions are very low and pretty low to the table, where its standing on. So just for me the angle was to low. but that wasnt a minus for your cradle :D

3rd
one handed operations is the most important fact TO ME. so, thats why i gave it a minus for. But sure that is just my 2 cents and i believe that LOT of guys dont have this problem, even those who just want to transfer data while mounted. That is easy to be done wvia wifi. but for me, its the charging aspect. i am switching offices so much, that i need a charging pod nearly everywhere as the distance between offices are long. Understand?

3rd
The BIG PLUS and for me, one of the biggest argument FOR buying a MIKRADLE is the freedom it gives, when it comes to extended battery and covers! I LOVE IT! No need to cripple down covers before docking. Thats what people like to see and in my eyes no other cradle provides.

Good job Cuskit,

David won another battle vs Goliath!

Tigger

cuskit

Reaction score
Hey cuskit,

whooooow wall of text :D

1st
The MIKRADLE i recieved is going away to a mod, if that is ok for you, just to appreciate their hard work! If that is not ok, just let me know, then ill give away another dock. NO PROBLEM here :D

2nd
the viewing angle just in MY EYES was just 5 degrees to low. all my sitting positions are very low and pretty low to the table, where its standing on. So just for me the angle was to low. but that wasnt a minus for your cradle :D

3rd
one handed operations is the most important fact TO ME. so, thats why i gave it a minus for. But sure that is just my 2 cents and i believe that LOT of guys dont have this problem, even those who just want to transfer data while mounted. That is easy to be done wvia wifi. but for me, its the charging aspect. i am switching offices so much, that i need a charging pod nearly everywhere as the distance between offices are long. Understand?

3rd
The BIG PLUS and for me, one of the biggest argument FOR buying a MIKRADLE is the freedom it gives, when it comes to extended battery and covers! I LOVE IT! No need to cripple down covers before docking. Thats what people like to see and in my eyes no other cradle provides.

Good job Cuskit,

David won another battle vs Goliath!

Tigger
Okay, I'll try and keep this one a small knee wall.. ;)

I'm happy to see the mods get the MIKRADLE I'd give one to every one of the mods if they wanted - I really appreciate the work they do here! Many times that goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Being a mod on another unrelated forum - BBQ Source Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board) I can identify with the amount of hours, work and dedication that goes into staying on top of all the posts. Why don't you just keep that one, when you know which Mod gets the vote - I'll send him one from here rather than you packing up and sending back all the way from Germany! Yikes! :)

The angle - yes, when you put it in that light I can understand. Perhaps I can make you a custom MIKRADLE with an adjustable angle? Seriously! Actually, if you are moving through many offices daily, give me the count and I'll fill every one of them with a MIKRADLE ;)

Believe my - I was not lamenting your comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have the utmost respect for you! You just happen to be one of my favorite supporters here on the forums! I really appreciate how you have my back! :)

Short and sweet. :)

David er, umm, I mean - mikey :)

Last edited:
OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
cuskit said:
I'd give one to every one of the mods if they wanted

Dont say that too loud :D

cuskit said:
Why don't you just keep that one, when you know which Mod gets the vote - I'll send him one from here rather than you packing up and sending back all the way from Germany! Yikes!
smile.gif

Ill take THAT offer :D :D

cuskit said:
The angle - yes, when you put it in that light I can understand. Perhaps I can make you a custom MIKRADLE, with an adjustable angle? Seriously! Actually, if you are moving through many offices daily, give me the count and I'll fill every one of them with a MIKRADLE!
wink.gif

A nice offer, but thank you. I have the chance to use different cradles and test em with all my 7 offices. and also, as i told you, the lack of one handed goes with the mikradle. so, i only use it at home :D

cuskit said:
Believe my - I was not lamenting your comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have the utmost respect for you! You just happen to be one of my favorite supporters here on the forums! I really appreciate how you have my back!
smile.gif

OMG STOP IT! Someone will fall over that slime :D

Tigger

=)

cuskit

Reaction score
cuskit said:
I'd give one to every one of the mods if they wanted

Dont say that too loud :D

cuskit said:
Why don't you just keep that one, when you know which Mod gets the vote - I'll send him one from here rather than you packing up and sending back all the way from Germany! Yikes!
smile.gif

Ill take THAT offer :D :D

cuskit said:
The angle - yes, when you put it in that light I can understand. Perhaps I can make you a custom MIKRADLE with an adjustable angle? Seriously! Actually, if you are moving through many offices daily, give me the count and I'll fill every one of them with a MIKRADLE
wink.gif

A nice offer, but thank you. I have the chance to use different cradles and test em with all my 7 offices. and also, as i told you, the lack of one handed goes with the mikradle. so, i only use it at home :D

cuskit said:
Believe my - I was not lamenting your comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have the utmost respect for you! You just happen to be one of my favorite supporters here on the forums! I really appreciate how you have my back!
smile.gif

OMG STOP IT! Someone will fall over that slime :D

Tigger

=)

Ty, your sense of humor topples me! You and I are a lot alike, my friend! :) Actually, we may very well be distant cousins! My Dad came over here from Germany when he was a young lad (he is now almost 89 years old). Our name is Lubrich - perhaps you know the name?

Just call me cousin mikey! :)

Last edited:

DroidPDX

Reaction score
I think the fact that the MIKRADLE takes a case (mine is the Body Glove) really gives it an edge.

And while I first wondered about the angle (it's a bit different than the old cradles I had for other phones), I realized because it allows one handed operation that way. I was going to suggest to Cuskit a slightly different angle, but then I realized why.

And if it matters at all, no one does customer service like Cuskit.

cuskit

Reaction score
I think the fact that the MIKRADLE takes a case (mine is the Body Glove) really gives it an edge.

And while I first wondered about the angle (it's a bit different than the old cradles I had for other phones), I realized because it allows one handed operation that way. I was going to suggest to Cuskit a slightly different angle, but then I realized why.

And if it matters at all, no one does customer service like Cuskit.

Hey - I really appreciate those words! Thanks loads! And nobody shows better product appreciation than MIKRADLE customers - they're tops in my book! :) mike

Last edited: