Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

shaneo40

Reaction score
Ads

By making me pay by the megabyte or gigabyte. Doesn't that mean I have to pay them to ship me ads and spam. This doesn't seem right, it would be like the U.S.postal service coming to me every month and asking me to give them a penny for every piece of junk mail and letter I received. Even though I didn't ask to have it sent to me. All these apps that use the google ads in these apps will use my paid for bandwidth. Or nearly every website I visit. Could you imagine if TV used this billing format. I paid for 20 hours of TV viewing a month, but I had to watch 20 minutes of commercials every hour. That wouldn't float for 2 minutes.

Guchi

Reaction score
This thread makes me want to say things that could get me banned

tktouch12

Reaction score
i really hope this doesnt happen, but if it does, i think they should send out an ota to all the devices they can on their network that will add an area in settings that will tell us exactly how many mb's we've used in each billing cycle. it should be coded into the os, not just dialing #data. or at the very least an app that will tell us in (as close as possible) real time

Crazy

Reaction score
This is not good!!! I average about 5gb a month.. sh!t :(

tktouch12

Reaction score
my 'edit' button just disappeared, so i'll just say it.
i didnt see that post about the my verizon app showing it, so nevermind.

but this is ridiculous. would $30 be the maximum? because if i can save money i'm fine with that, but going over $30 is just too much. i would consider going to sprint and getting an evo if this happens.
do we have any layout of the pricing options? also, its smart enough to sort out wifi data usage right?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the 5 days since my payment date I've used 32Meg... I don't think this will cost me anything it should allow me to save alot.

Fr3sh2De4th

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to check how much data I've used on my phone? I tried the Verizon App but it just says unlimited 0 kb (I have an unlimited plan). Should I Call VZW & ask? I'm trying to see how big my footprint is before the poo hits the fan.

gmony01

Reaction score
I think Verizon is shooting itself in the foot. Until now I have been a big fan of Verizon but now this is ridiculous. You're the biggest network that backs Android and you turn around and stiff your customers when Apps that are meant to use more bandwidth, like Flash, are right around the corner. I'm calling Verizon on this one and giving them a piece of mind. i don't care if does nothing or not. This is just insane. Only thing I can see being acceptable is if they offer a 5gb plan at the same price it is now for unlimited. At least I don't have to worry right now cause I'm under contract for unlimited.

floyd

Reaction score
Uh, folks, if you actually read the fine print on your contract, you might have realized that it's not a contract, at all, in the tradtional sense.

In addition to saddling you with a $375 Early Termination Fee, Verizon has the right to change the terms of your data contract at any time.

So bend over, lube up, and enjoy the ride, ladies.

Or better yet, show some gumption and email your crooked congressman.

DAVPX

Reaction score
Also, those who are looking to upgrade to a newer phone after the data plan change will prob have their unlimited plans axed for the newer plans. Well, as with all gossip/rumors, we will have to wait for official word from VZW. Speculation is one of the devil's playthings lol

What if you do not ever sign a new contract? What if you buy new phones at full price and stay month to month?

Reaction score
Also, those who are looking to upgrade to a newer phone after the data plan change will prob have their unlimited plans axed for the newer plans. Well, as with all gossip/rumors, we will have to wait for official word from VZW. Speculation is one of the devil's playthings lol

What if you do not ever sign a new contract? What if you buy new phones at full price and stay month to month?
then you're good. unless verizon messes with existing contracts.

DAVPX

Reaction score

then you're good. unless verizon messes with existing contracts.

Reason I ask is because. I purchased my DX in full (although still within my contract period). While checking out, I had to choose the data plan over again. It is as if you are required to purchase a new data plan everytime you buy a smartphone. Like the data plan you purchased before belongs only to your old phone and cannot rollover. I can just see Verizon sneaking it in once this goes through. Buy a new phone, forced to choose tiered data plan since data is required for smartphones.