AT&T Throttling Unlimited Users - VZW Next???

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Garemlin, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

[​IMG]

If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T you are about to be throttled. Users with 3G devices will be throttled once they hit 3GB of data in a month. Those using 4G devices will reach their throttle point at 5GB. Once users hit their cap they will be throttled back to Edge speeds for the remainder of their billing cycle. With the fact that VZW allowed many users to stay on unlimited plans before doing away with it in favor of tiered plans, one can only wonder if they will follow suit. Let's hope not.

Here is the full press release:

2. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 New Member

My 4G speeds suck so bad in Seattle, I wouldn't tell the difference.
    1 person likes this.
  3. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

AT&T has been doing this for awhile now.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  4. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ya att and tmo do this openly. VZW does it for 3G not 4G data. And sprint doesn't do this yet.
  5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

6. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

"The reason reduced speeds only apply to unlimited smartphone customers is because their data usage is significantly higher than those on tiered plans. "

... Well, DUH. They have unlimited plans.
  7. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Of coarse we are next....VZW see that att is doing it and now they will say...something like...due to the demand of the 4g lte network we have to do blah blah....this will only affect .5% of users........blah blah

the question is....if it only affect .5% of the users...then why bother....
  8. wolstonc

wolstonc New Member

There was an article on yahoo that talked about this. ATT will throttle you to punish you for having unlimited and tell you to switch to tiered if you don't like it. They throttle you even if you're literally the only one on a cell tower, and keep you throttled for the rest of your bill cycle.

Verizon only throttles you while you're on a congested tower, and if you're within the top 5% of the data users on that tower. Once you're on another tower or if the tower isn't congested, you'll be back to normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  9. nemosfate

nemosfate Theme Developer Theme Developer

i truly hope vzw doesnt go down.this bs path
  10. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Where did you hear that? I was never throttled on my D2.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  11. ChevyNexus

ChevyNexus New Member

I don't care if they do this. The only reason I really wanted unlimited was because I didn't wanna worry about going over a data cap an being fined.
  12. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i have never been throttled i use close to 10 gig a month on all my smartphone lines ( nexus,and 2 tbolts) hardly any of that is on the 4g network most is 3g .. we do very little tethering . a lot of netflix watching and pandora on almost all day 24/7 hooked into house speakers .. ( we dont have internet option where i live so we do use our phones for only internet source)
  13. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Wrong info
  14. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

I hope not. I use like 7-10gigs because of Netflix/Youtube and Pandora on my Nexus. What's the point of those apps if you can watch one or two movies..
  15. esmier

esmier New Member

its illegal for verizon to throttle block C networks
  16. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Because those .5% use so much that it messes it up for the rest of us

It's like when a server slows down the special all-you-can-eat mea to a small table because they're just devouring them at such a fast pace that the rest of the paying customers now gotta wait for their first serving.

There's folks who use their phones via tethering as home internet sources. Now, these cell phone companies haven't ever really just charged some kb rate on these guys....but they're the same ones posting screen shots of 80gb used that month while defending themselves as not wanting to pay twice for data.

I personally wished they didn't throttle until like...5GB. But the thing I learned in college...these companies are a business. And they're in business to please the shareholders, who give them money. So, they gotta do what they gotta do...
  17. Kasey923

Kasey923 New Member

I think VZW has already started this. My speeds over the last week or so have gone through the floor. The local store swears they don't throttle, but I mean suddenly my Pandora/Netflix/other streaming apps are completely unusable. (ps guy told me to clear my text messages, that would help. It hasn't)
    If they really do it by highest user on a specific tower, I'm boned. I live in an area where there are a lot of older folks and younger people who aren't tech savvy. So I'll probably always be in the top 5% of my tower.

I wonder if I should go see about Sprint...

Lib3rat3d DX
  18. gthotie5

gthotie5 New Member

19. Wadman

Wadman New Member

Next time you get the chance to speak with someone from Verizon, ask them about network optimization. The word "throttle" is a bad word in their eyes and they will not call it that. I was noticing that my 3g speeds were significantly slower so I called. They said that the network optimization had been added to my account because I was a heavy data user. I used 4 gigs one month and that was the first month I ever went past 2 gigs. After digging deeper I found out that you have to meet certain criteria to be "optimized." You have to be a consistent heavy user.....which I wasn't....You have to be in a highly congested area....which I wasn't....and there were a couple other things that I again was not guilty of. After talking with about 10 different people it was decided that there was no way to remove the network optimization until the billing cycle ended. I threw a fit because I met none of the criteria and they agreed. I didn't have to pay my bill for that billing cycle and they gave me 50 bucks towards another device....which worked out good because I was due for an upgrade. So they do this...it sucks....but they are already in the process of full fledge throttling..
  20. Lars

Lars New Member

Being "optimized" is something specific to your account? Lovely. I was under the impression that it was based on your usage for the current month, and if you were a top tier user you would be throttled if the tower was congested. Last month I used an unusually high amount of data. We were having issues with our home internet (Comcast), and I had to use my phone on a number of occasions that normally I would not have. I wasn't in the neighborhood of 5GB, but the last check I recall was just over 3GB of data. Typically I am around 1.5-2.0GB, so I wouldn't think that I am a heavy user, but last month may have switched me to "optimized." Can I simply call, or go to a Verizon store and ask about this, and how difficult do you think it is to have this "title" removed?