Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MrDoo75

MrDoo75 New Member

I will not stress about this until I see an official announcement, but I do have to say it does kinda put a damper on the excitement I had of looking forward to Froyo. The upcoming addition of Flash 10.1 is not as appealing if I can not afford to use it.
  2. Parrothead

Parrothead New Member

Also, I thought that AT&T going to a tiered plan would steer customers in the direction of Droids and Verizon.. apparently they don't see it the same way.
  3. sos567656765

sos567656765 New Member

I'm pushing 2GB and am just under half way thru the billing cycle.
  4. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

This ^

Tiered pricing is not a bad thing provided they still give us unlimited data plans for a reasonable price. Personally I won't pay more then $40/month for unlimited data.

I see a favorable tiered pricing scheme as something like this:

$10 - 250MB/month
    $20 - 500MB/month
    $30 - 2GB/month
    $40 - Unlimited

I could easily move my wife to a $10 plan and bump myself to the unlimited plan and save $10 in the long run.
  5. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

I use just over 5GB a month and don't do much of anything on my Droid. I do always have WiFi turned off though to conserve battery life. With LTE and tiers, they really should get rid of the legacy voice/text plans and allow users to buy buckets of data and call it a day.

But that would have people with bills slashed in half or more, and that is bad business. :icon_evil:
  6. jeff0r3

jeff0r3 Member

Thats a good selling point IMO.. Don't tier it and Give us something to make the At&T users even more jealous of Droids!
  7. virtaclesmile

virtaclesmile New Member

Okay...who here reads the fine print? anyone??? Not me for sure. I am also a heavy user. Joined VZW 2 months ago. I came from an iDon't 3gs. So, for me my moto droid as well as VZW, this is an overall win for me. After reading some of these posts here are some points worth considering.
    1) Speculation : We can all guess "when" this will happen.(the is no"if" because it is the next logical step) we have no idea about pricing, usage, or or the teir structure itself.
    2) contracts : It would be a bad business decision to change ANYTHING about what YOU signed on for. If I recall correctly, I didnt have any other choice but to accept the $29.99 a month data charge. I dare them to try and change that when I didnt even have a choice to begin with. It's not like the visual voicemail ($2.99 a month....Really??) I could lose this and still have a smart phone.
    3) month 2 month : I also had this question regarding getting a phone retail or used off ebay and switching it over and not changing my current contract. I will do some investigating and let you folks know.
    4) lastly : This will likely happen to ALL major carriers at some point in the future. BELIEVE IT. As smartphones become the norm as opposed to the exception, data usage will indeed need to be regulated. Just the facts folks. you can cry foul, bang your head against the wall, kick your neighbors cat, but, it wont change the fact that this is a speeding train out of control heading in a direction that you may not like. I for one am saving my voice and holding reservation until I have all the facts. screaming about something that doesn't even exist.....thats just silly.

Bigfoot anyone???
  8. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

Without Unlimited Data plans I might as well just go back to my ****ing Razr. What's the point of using a smartphone if you can't use all the data you might need. As we all know, every single app uses at least SOME data, whether its downloading the actual app or downloading information from servers, so if we are limited on that then we are going to be less likely to BUY or USE these smartphones. Granted, I use about 7GB of data a month playing CoD:MW2 but still, is anyone experiencing any problems? With the option of having WiFi or 3G we should be able to balance the two just fine. I am very disappointed that Verizon would even think about these. Why limit the data? MAKE CHANGES SO THAT THE USE OF THE DATA WON'T EFFECT YOU GUYS! DON'T MAKE US THE ONES WHO HAVE TO CHANGE.
  9. droidtom

droidtom New Member

not a big deal for me

I used 1.5 GB last month and I use mine a lot. Doesn't AT&T say that 80% of their bandwidth is used by 5% of their customers. I think that's pretty ridiculous. If 95% of users get by with less than 2 GB of data and they can charge those users less and charge more to the 5% that use a ton it sounds ok to me.
  10. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

That's like saying "Oh, as long as I am fed they can do whatever they want to that small village of Ethiopians. Like I care!".
  11. Mew2

Mew2 New Member

I just got a Dx for my girlfriend, I had a family plan set up and now I added in this new line (with the 30 dollar unlimited data)

even if it ships the 3rd of August will I get my unlimited data on both phones assuming they dont touch existing contracts?
  12. Tino

Tino New Member

No. What is being said is 5gb of data is a good amount. To run over that you would have to be doing some heavy downloading. Downloading that could probably be done on a wi-fi network if you scheduled better. I consider myself a heavy user and I rarely hit that 5gb mark. If it was tiered, I am sure I would find ways to conserve, but to compare it to a small ethiopian village is stupid. Its like saying there is a big dinner party and everybody has their fill, but there is this horribly obese neighbor who gourges and finds that their appetite is insatiable. If I was the host of that party, Id probably tell fatty to go or bring something to snack on next time...
  13. demon69120

demon69120 New Member

I use A LOT of data on my Droid. Looks like instead of upgrading to the new 2 GHz Motorola Phone rumored to be coming out in a while I'll be upgrading to the something else. I would say the iPhone 4, after it's jailbroken, because the screen is fantastic and they're a lot of fun using after jailbroken, but it looks like AT&T also charges like $25 for only 2gb of data on a smartphone! With Pandora and youtube etc. I use that in a day!
    Are Sprint and T-Mobile getting on the same boat?
  14. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

All true, Jim. I'm in a similar position with a "broadband access" plan tied to a netbook I use on the road and I've been able to change devices while retaining my original data plan for that (new) netbook when I bought it.

But I did notice when I got my Droid that it was specifically characterized as "compatible with my current plan." (This was my phone plan, not my broadband access plan.) That allowed me to retain the features of my family phone plan for the droid. (I already had "unlimited data" on my WinMo phone.)

At that time I noticed that some other smartphones were not "compatible with my current plan." Had I chosen one of those phones, I would have had to change plans. I suspect that may be the means by which VZW will force users to shift to a tiered data plan. New phones won't be "compatible" with current unlimited data plans.

As another poster noted, VZW may find it worthwhile (from a competitive standpoint) to enable multiple users on the same plan to "share" data plans, just as they now "share" cell phone minutes. Time will tell. If Sprint sticks with "unlimited data" to gain customers, VZW may find such a sharing arrangement could prevent defections.

Finally, I suspect that this whole issue is in flux, both from competitive pressures and technological changes. For example, I don't come close to using 5 gigs a month on my Droid, primarily because about 90% of the time its data use is through my home wifi network which doesn't count, at all.

As more wide-area high speed networks are installed, I would not be surprised to see differential pricing for 4G and 3G use, just as there is currently a difference between using the VZW 3G network versus wifi.
  15. sos567656765

sos567656765 New Member

this is exactly what they are doing to me right now. Sometimes data is just off no 3g or 1x icon, even where I know I should have data. If they keep it up or start tiered data I wiljump ship to sprint when my contract is up(maybe sooner). But that raises the question of how long until sprint followes att and vzw's steps?
  16. virtaclesmile

virtaclesmile New Member

All right now....let's not throw stones! I was hungry....:)
  17. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

So when they throttle your connection is that what happens when out of nowhere your connection goes from 3G with 4 bars to to 1X with 1 bar?
  18. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

It seems like that is an inherent problem with Android, happens on Nexus One also.
  19. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

I guess...when that happens I just restart my phone and its back to 3G.
  20. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

When it happens to me, I just cycle airplane mode on and off. This almost always sends it back to 3G.
Search tags for this page

is verizon cutting unlimited data

verizon cutting unlimited data
verizon data prices ever change?

verizon drops unlimited data

verizon restricting unlimited data
why did verizon drop unlimited data
will verizon drop data prices