Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2mn2opk.jpg

Say it ain't so, Big Red! It appears that Verizon will be dropping the Unlimited Data option from its smartphone plan as early as July 29th, according to Engadget. This honestly should not come as much of a shock to Verizon Wireless customers, but for some of us, this news may be hard to swallow. You may recall Big Red hinting numerous times that unlimited data simply could not be an option for its data networks, as the number of smartphone users are steadily on the rise. Remember Verizon's CTO, Dick Lynch? He's the guy who made these bold statements, back in January:

The problem we have today with flat-based usage is that you are trying to encourage customers to be efficient in use and applications but you are getting some people who are bandwidth hogs using gigabytes a month and they are paying something like megabytes a month,” Lynch said. “That isn’t long-term sustainable. Why should customers using an average amount of bandwidth be subsidizing bandwidth hogs?
Although the idea that Verizon will be switching to tiered data plans is not shocking by itself, I am a bit surprised that Verizon may be cutting off unlimited data so far ahead of its 4G roll-out.

These subtle hints have been picking up steam over the past few days. Just yesterday, Verizon updated its My Verizon app to include a data usage tracker (Droid X customers had the app automatically installed/updated in the OTA that rolled out last night). And earlier today, Verizon’s Business Development Executive Director, Jennifer Byrne also mentioned the woes Verizon is having in regards to its Droid X customers using up 5x more bandwidth than any other smartphones in Verizon's arsenal:

On Droid X, we’re seeing something like 5x the data usage of any other device.
You may recall AT&T's CEO Ralph de la Vega expressing similar disapproval with its iPhone users, back in October during CTIA 2009:

3 percent of AT&T's smartphone customers [read iPhone users] use 40 percent of all smartphone data, that they consume 13 times the data of the average smartphone customer, yet represent less than 1 percent of AT&T’s total postpaid customer base.
Similarly, AT&T dropped its unlimited data option a few months back, leaving new customers with the choice of $25 for 2GB, or $15 for 200MB. We are still waiting on the price structure to Verizon's new tiered data plans. It is also up in the air, as to whether or not sure if Verizon will be applying these data restrictions to new customers, or if this will also affect current customers. We suspect, as long as you are under contract for unlimited data, these changes should not affect you until you decide to upgrade phones. However, one thing is for certain: don't expect to have unlimited data for much longer.

Thoughts on tiered data plans? And would you pay a premium for unlimited data, if you had the choice?

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

nerdkill

Reaction score
i had no problem with the sprint $10 premium, but i can't go anymore than that. being married everything is double. they need family data plans. you should be able to share your usage like you do your minutes when they cut off unlimited data.

parker34

Reaction score
surely they can't take away existing customers plans away...i see that if you are a new smartphone customer then yes because that is what you agree to pay for but if you agreed to pay for the unlimited data I do not think they will be able to force you to change it

beneharris

Reaction score
surely they can't take away existing customers plans away...i see that if you are a new smartphone customer then yes because that is what you agree to pay for but if you agreed to pay for the unlimited data I do not think they will be able to force you to change it
they legally have to honor the existing contracts, but after that, we're gonna have to worry about it.

Crazy

Reaction score
But will current customers like us still be able to keep our unlimited data plans?

And what if we were to upgrade to a new phone in the near future? Would we get to keep it, or be forced to changed to the new data plans?

tlippert

Reaction score
Not surprising.. so much for Pandora, Sirius XM, Blockbuster, and Netflix.. the average user won't be able to afford to stream.. I would think these companies would protest this as it will definitely cut into their services... stop it Big Red we pay enough already..

tlippert

Reaction score
But will current customers like us still be able to keep our unlimited data plans?

And what if we were to upgrade to a new phone in the near future? Would we get to keep it, or be forced to changed to the new data plans?

I'm sure we will have to change our contract..

joeymoose

Reaction score

That is the question. We can only wait and find out...:sad:

RemyL75

Reaction score
Also, those who are looking to upgrade to a newer phone after the data plan change will prob have their unlimited plans axed for the newer plans. Well, as with all gossip/rumors, we will have to wait for official word from VZW. Speculation is one of the devil's playthings lol

R

RETG

Will they also tier 4G when it is released?
Could this be a forerunner of Verizon to get everyone to jump to 4G when it is released since 4G (or LTE) can handle more traffic at the cell than 3G?

K

killabyte

Now maybe everybody can pull their heads outta their butts and remember what computers were for. I know, I know, that's soooo 2 years ago.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, those who are looking to upgrade to a newer phone after the data plan change will prob have their unlimited plans axed for the newer plans. Well, as with all gossip/rumors, we will have to wait for official word from VZW. Speculation is one of the devil's playthings lol

This. Those of you still under your contract for unlimited data should not see any differences. However, if you plan to upgrade your phone after this is enacted, kiss your unlimted data goodbye.

just my $0.02.

Droid101

Reaction score
Will they also tier 4G when it is released?
Could this be a forerunner of Verizon to get everyone to jump to 4G when it is released since 4G (or LTE) can handle more traffic at the cell than 3G?

Yes tier data was expected for 4G. But I don't believe it is a forerunner once 4G is as widespread as their 3G network is when they will be making phones exclusive to 4G and not a 3G/4G phone.

StingRay

Reaction score
If they try to change existing customers contracts, then all bets are off...customer has right to jump ship, void contract and/or go for a new phone (with new contract)...

You should be good thru your current contract, but if you upgrade you will be signing new contract with new data plan...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk