T-Mobile Drops Data Caps and Throttling and Switches to Unlimited 4G Data Plans

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think from time to time what's the point of super fast 4g if i can only use 4gb month on verizon? I could destroy that amount in a day but instead since im limited i use my wifi and my laptop at home to avoid it.
I have unlimited and I still use my wifi at home, because I have unlimited does not give me the right to abuse it, why should I clog up the network while I am at home on my wifi that I am already paying for. When I am out and about is when the data get's used, heck, since I owned my HTC Incredible with unlimited data, I never once went over 5 Gigs a month, even while listening to streaming music and browsing the web.
I am not constantly on my phone "as I do have a life", unless you stream lot's of PRON "unless you are quick silver, then it won't matter:biggrin:", and HD youTube, then yes, 4 Gigs might not be enough for you.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Now that I look at that photo... She looks a lot like Joan Rivers there...

52brandon

Reaction score
Now that I look at that photo... She looks a lot like Joan Rivers there...
lmao. Except Rivers doesn't actually need a helmet to look like her face was stuffed into one

after looking at T-Mobile's data plans, I wonder if the recent ruling that Verizon had to allow WiFi Tether apps would also apply to T-Mobile since they say Wireless Hotspot is not compatible with that plan...

soulpatch

Reaction score
I have unlimited and I still use my wifi at home, because I have unlimited does not give me the right to abuse it, why should I clog up the network while I am at home on my wifi that I am already paying for. When I am out and about is when the data get's used, heck, since I owned my HTC Incredible with unlimited data, I never once went over 5 Gigs a month, even while listening to streaming music and browsing the web.
I am not constantly on my phone "as I do have a life", unless you stream lot's of PRON "unless you are quick silver, then it won't matter:biggrin:", and HD youTube, then yes, 4 Gigs might not be enough for you.

No need to be a dick about it. Many of us have a life and go way over on 4GB of data a month. I have unlimited and commute 2 hours each way to work on a train and then sit at work all day listening to music. I easily use 6GB just on music and some HBO GO on my commute alone. If I go to the track on the weekend with my bikes and am using my phone out there then I eat closer to 8to10GB a month depending on how often I go racing. That is not even counting the amount of data I use with my hotspot that I also pay for monthly.

So congrats not going over 4GB a month but many of us with lives go over it plenty.

Back on topic. I will be looking at the coverage of tMobile in my area and see if this would be somethign I could move to. Coverage is key to me as I need my data connection for work and pleasure. The lack of including the hotspot is a ping against TMobile though as I need that for work. Sure I guess I could root and use a tether app but that starts to cross the line into contract abuse and with work involved not willing to cross that line there...

soulpatch

Reaction score
after looking at T-Mobile's data plans, I wonder if the recent ruling that Verizon had to allow WiFi Tether apps would also apply to T-Mobile since they say Wireless Hotspot is not compatible with that plan...

Good point. Though VZW does not have to allow tethering with their unlimited plans so that might carry over and be the same for TMobile...

BLeClair12

Reaction score
While this is good news, I don't expect Verizon to follow suit, and unfortunately, it doesn't effect me much.

While I'd like to escape the clutches of Verizon, where I live, there's really no other option. U.S. Cellular and Verizon are the "big boys" in town. U.S. Cellular charges more than Verizon in most instances, and has (for the most part) horrible phones and terrible coverage outside of the state.

T-Mobile is a dying breed around here. I have a friend who is on their network, and she can hardly get 3G coverage, let alone 4G. She's stuck on 1X about 90% of the time.

Reaction score
I agree is cellular is awful. They rome anyplace u go their 3g blows. They are getting 4g only where they are good. Verizon should just buy them out. That leaves sprint and them as cdma. Us cellular phones are awful as well. Enough rant about them. But Verizon should play it smart and switch back to unlimited plans. Only to the people who have had it in the past and dropped down to cap data packages. Big red should look at what they are doing

geoff5093

Reaction score
I would love to move to T-Mobile, but unfortunately most of New Hampshire and surrounding areas are 2G only. I'd hate to get a smartphone with unlimited "2G" data, when I'm still grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited. As far as US Cellular goes, they have excellent service here in New England, but I hear their 4G speeds aren't as good as Verizon's, and besides the GSIII they never get any good phones.

huskur

Reaction score
I believe that the "unlimited" will indeed come back to most carriers. They need to be competitive. I am still grandfathered in on Verizon with unlimited data so right now I am fine. If I ever am removed for any reason from unlimited data, I will get a standard phone and a small tablet. Thats because if I have to use wifi on my phone to save data in fear of going over my limit I might as well not have the worry at all and use exclusively wifi which is almost everywhere.