T-Mobile Drops Data Caps and Throttling and Switches to Unlimited 4G Data Plans

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 22, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This story isn't Verizon related, but its always good to know what is going on in the industry. T-Mobile just issued a press release late yesterday sharing that they are ditching their previous 4G plans with data caps and data throttling. They will now be offering Unlimited 4G Data Plans. Keep in mind, that their 4G is the HSPA+ version and is not LTE. Their new plans will be offered as an add-on to existing call plans. This will amount to $30 per month when added to a Classic voice and text plan or $20 per month when added to a Value voice and messaging plan. Here's the full press release,

2. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Hey Verizon....hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
    2 people like this.
  3. welsalex

welsalex New Member

+1

Actually its more like *slap* directly in the face, shove hard
    2 people like this.
  4. TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT Member

+2

sent from my leaked ics bionic using tapatalk 2
  5. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

This, so much. :hail:
  6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

Although tmobile will start rolling out lte eventually I think.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
  7. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

At this point, Verizon cares very little what T Mobile does. Verizon knows they have the best network and most people would rather have constant reliable signal than truly unlimited data. Me? My contract date is getting closer and closer and I will absolutely move to T Mobile with no contract. I hardly expect Verizon to take notice.

***Also I've heard that these plans will not include tethering. Just for anyone interested***
  8. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

It is apparent that T-Mo is listening to the consumer. The only way other carriers will follow suit is if T-Mo gains market share while the others loose. I will not be leaving vzw for the reason mentioned above. However, I am rooting for T-Mo to have a significant impact on the future of cellphone plans.

Sent from my SCH-I535
  9. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

It will all take time to add up but this is another step in the right direction. Unlimited HSPA+ 4G via T-Mobile with Bring Your Own Device, worthwhile unlocked phones via Google, Sony, and the Chinese market; the pieces are coming together to give more power to customers.
  10. javipoo

javipoo New Member

Someone should throttle her data...
  11. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Interesting... If my entire family were out of contract, we'd probably all move. I might consider a move, since I was planning on going with their network via pre-paid cards anyway. The downgrade from LTE to HSPA+ doesn't bother me at all.

Great news overall for wireless users everywhere. Thank god AT&T wasn't able to destroy this company.

edit- Can someone explain the difference between the "value" and "classic" packages? Thanks.
  12. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

T-Mobile needed to do this to compete. Right now their main competition is with Sprint and the prepaids/regional carriers. Sprint and them all offer unlimited data, and other cheaper solutions. IMO, T-Mobile is really on the track to dominate that group of wireless. No offence to any of the other carriers, but they are just not in the same league as Verizon or AT&T. Those two are in their own world.
  13. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

And this is news, T-Mobile is struggling, just another way for them to attract new customers. Once they have real LTE up and running "maybe then I might consider them", but by then Verizon will have the whole country covered in LTE, so what's the point.
  14. welsalex

welsalex New Member

Honestly I think from time to time what's the point of super fast 4g if i can only use 4gb month on verizon? I could destroy that amount in a day but instead since im limited i use my wifi and my laptop at home to avoid it.
    2 people like this.
  15. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Umm...to save a ton of money? I know that's not enough incentive for some people, but for budget-conscious people like myself, it's absolutely worth jumping ship.
  16. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

I have unlimited and I still use my wifi at home, because I have unlimited does not give me the right to abuse it, why should I clog up the network while I am at home on my wifi that I am already paying for. When I am out and about is when the data get's used, heck, since I owned my HTC Incredible with unlimited data, I never once went over 5 Gigs a month, even while listening to streaming music and browsing the web.
    I am not constantly on my phone "as I do have a life", unless you stream lot's of PRON "unless you are quick silver, then it won't matter:biggrin:", and HD youTube, then yes, 4 Gigs might not be enough for you.
  17. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Now that I look at that photo... She looks a lot like Joan Rivers there...
  18. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

lmao. Except Rivers doesn't actually need a helmet to look like her face was stuffed into one

after looking at T-Mobile's data plans, I wonder if the recent ruling that Verizon had to allow WiFi Tether apps would also apply to T-Mobile since they say Wireless Hotspot is not compatible with that plan...
  19. soulpatch

soulpatch New Member

No need to be a dick about it. Many of us have a life and go way over on 4GB of data a month. I have unlimited and commute 2 hours each way to work on a train and then sit at work all day listening to music. I easily use 6GB just on music and some HBO GO on my commute alone. If I go to the track on the weekend with my bikes and am using my phone out there then I eat closer to 8to10GB a month depending on how often I go racing. That is not even counting the amount of data I use with my hotspot that I also pay for monthly.

So congrats not going over 4GB a month but many of us with lives go over it plenty.

Back on topic. I will be looking at the coverage of tMobile in my area and see if this would be somethign I could move to. Coverage is key to me as I need my data connection for work and pleasure. The lack of including the hotspot is a ping against TMobile though as I need that for work. Sure I guess I could root and use a tether app but that starts to cross the line into contract abuse and with work involved not willing to cross that line there...
  20. soulpatch

soulpatch New Member

Good point. Though VZW does not have to allow tethering with their unlimited plans so that might carry over and be the same for TMobile...
Search tags for this page
galaxy s4 avoid data thottling from tmobile
my tmobike galaxy s3 4g wont stay on
my tmobike unlimited 4g data plan is slow

rooting phones stop throttling

stop throtholing data rooted phone

stop tmobile data throttle

stop tmobile speed cap

t mobile stop throttling

t mobile stops throttling

t mobile throttle unlimited 4g lte 2014

t-mobile 4gigs lte unliminted 4g