T-Mobile Drops Data Caps and Throttling and Switches to Unlimited 4G Data Plans

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
t-mobile-ad-peace.jpeg

This story isn't Verizon related, but its always good to know what is going on in the industry. T-Mobile just issued a press release late yesterday sharing that they are ditching their previous 4G plans with data caps and data throttling. They will now be offering Unlimited 4G Data Plans. Keep in mind, that their 4G is the HSPA+ version and is not LTE. Their new plans will be offered as an add-on to existing call plans. This will amount to $30 per month when added to a Classic voice and text plan or $20 per month when added to a Value voice and messaging plan. Here's the full press release,

T-Mobile Unleashes Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data

Starting Sept. 5, T-Mobile will be the only carrier with a nationwide 4G network to offer unlimited nationwide 4G data

BELLEVUE, Wash. — Aug. 22, 2012 — T-Mobile USA, Inc., today announced an industry first — a truly Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan. Featuring no data caps, speed limits or bill shock, as well as fast, dependable nationwide 4G coverage, T-Mobile’s new Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan offers the ultimate worry-free experience. The new plan is designed to satisfy both data-hungry customers who want to experience all their smartphones are capable of and those wanting the peace of mind of never having to keep track of their data usage.

Today’s smartphones offer amazing experiences, and consumers are increasingly relying on them for everything from navigation, entertainment and shopping to just staying connected. With the introduction of the Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan, T-Mobile® is the only U.S. carrier to empower customers to do what they want, when they want, with their smartphones by making fast, nationwide 4G data accessible for everyone — without limits and at a great value.

“We’re big believers in customer-driven innovation, and our Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan is the answer to customers who are frustrated by the cost, complexity and congested networks of our competitors,” said Kevin McLaughlin, vice president, marketing, T-Mobile USA. “Consumers want the freedom of unlimited 4G data. Our bold move to be the only wireless carrier to offer an Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan reinforces our value leadership and capitalizes on the strength of our nationwide 4G network.”

For customers seeking an unlimited experience on their smartphones, T-Mobile offers several ways for new and existing customers to take advantage of its Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan. New customers can purchase any smartphone in T-Mobile’s robust lineup of innovative devices or bring their own compatible smartphone and have access to a worry-free unlimited data experience on T-Mobile’s fast nationwide 4G network. Current T-Mobile customers on Classic or Value plans can simply upgrade their existing service by adding an Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan.

The Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan will cost $20 per month when added to a Value voice and text plan or $30 per month when added to a Classic voice and text plan. For example, a single line Value plan with unlimited talk and text combined with unlimited nationwide 4G data will cost $69.99 or a single line Classic plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text and unlimited nationwide 4G data will cost $89.99.

Available starting Sept. 5, T-Mobile’s Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan will provide smartphone customers with uncompromised, dependable access to data on the blazing-fast speeds of T-Mobile’s nationwide 4G network. The Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan will be available at T-Mobile retail stores, on Unsupported Browser and through select dealers and national retail stores.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Hey Verizon....hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
At this point, Verizon cares very little what T Mobile does. Verizon knows they have the best network and most people would rather have constant reliable signal than truly unlimited data. Me? My contract date is getting closer and closer and I will absolutely move to T Mobile with no contract. I hardly expect Verizon to take notice.

***Also I've heard that these plans will not include tethering. Just for anyone interested***

skennelly

Reaction score
It is apparent that T-Mo is listening to the consumer. The only way other carriers will follow suit is if T-Mo gains market share while the others loose. I will not be leaving vzw for the reason mentioned above. However, I am rooting for T-Mo to have a significant impact on the future of cellphone plans.

Sent from my SCH-I535

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will all take time to add up but this is another step in the right direction. Unlimited HSPA+ 4G via T-Mobile with Bring Your Own Device, worthwhile unlocked phones via Google, Sony, and the Chinese market; the pieces are coming together to give more power to customers.

npro1464

Reaction score
Interesting... If my entire family were out of contract, we'd probably all move. I might consider a move, since I was planning on going with their network via pre-paid cards anyway. The downgrade from LTE to HSPA+ doesn't bother me at all.

Great news overall for wireless users everywhere. Thank god AT&T wasn't able to destroy this company.

edit- Can someone explain the difference between the "value" and "classic" packages? Thanks.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
T-Mobile needed to do this to compete. Right now their main competition is with Sprint and the prepaids/regional carriers. Sprint and them all offer unlimited data, and other cheaper solutions. IMO, T-Mobile is really on the track to dominate that group of wireless. No offence to any of the other carriers, but they are just not in the same league as Verizon or AT&T. Those two are in their own world.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
And this is news, T-Mobile is struggling, just another way for them to attract new customers. Once they have real LTE up and running "maybe then I might consider them", but by then Verizon will have the whole country covered in LTE, so what's the point.

welsalex

Reaction score
Honestly I think from time to time what's the point of super fast 4g if i can only use 4gb month on verizon? I could destroy that amount in a day but instead since im limited i use my wifi and my laptop at home to avoid it.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
And this is news, T-Mobile is struggling, just another way for them to attract new customers. Once they have real LTE up and running "maybe then I might consider them", but by then Verizon will have the whole country covered in LTE, so what's the point.

Umm...to save a ton of money? I know that's not enough incentive for some people, but for budget-conscious people like myself, it's absolutely worth jumping ship.