Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 20, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This. Those of you still under your contract for unlimited data should not see any differences. However, if you plan to upgrade your phone after this is enacted, kiss your unlimted data goodbye.

just my $0.02.

2. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes tier data was expected for 4G. But I don't believe it is a forerunner once 4G is as widespread as their 3G network is when they will be making phones exclusive to 4G and not a 3G/4G phone.

3. StingRay

StingRay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If they try to change existing customers contracts, then all bets are off...customer has right to jump ship, void contract and/or go for a new phone (with new contract)...

You should be good thru your current contract, but if you upgrade you will be signing new contract with new data plan...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When AT&T changed to tiered data, I thought that existing customers could keep unlimited data, even after a phone upgrade if they didn't change anything. Am I thinking wrong?

5. Balthazar B

Balthazar B Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, that's the way it is with AT&T. So long as you move smartphone to smartphone, or Blackberry to smartphone, you can keep your unlimited data option at the same cost.

6. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm... after my contracts up I might be switching.

7. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh. Well that will definitely decide whether if I stay or jump ship once my contract is up. dancedroid

8. corbintechboy

corbintechboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Makes me think about all those people waiting for the X and the Inc.

8/3 expected ship... Would fit right into this time frame. Maybe there was no shortage of phones after all, maybe they noticed all the interest in the newer Droid devices and heard the "ching ching" and decided to make it look like a shortage with a nice convenient date to ship.

Sounds logical!

9. JimMariner

JimMariner Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 64G
    It depends I think on this, I have been a VZW "Unlimited BroadBand Access" Customer for many years now. My account is Grandfathered as True Unlimited Access, as that was the plan I signed my contract on. I have upgraded my device a few times over the years and have not lost that status on my BroadBand Account. My Bill even States, "Unlimited Access". Most of the new plans are listed as 5gig Max accounts. I have even heard of the Unlimited account being transferable too. But once deactivated, The Grandfather status disappears.

We can only hope that since they sold us all "Unlimited Access" on our smartphones, that these also get GrandFather Status too. Only time will tell.

I can tell you this, that VZW can throttle back your connection anytime they want to. They are suppose to have this option in their system. So you only access their network at slower speeds / less data use. I have not had this happen to me yet, but have heard it happening to others. I very seldom cross the 5 gig line though. I come close often. I only use this CDPD Modem (3G, REV-A) while on the road for work. Very seldom at home.

10. Lucas5

Lucas5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't see why verizon can't keep the unlimited data price point and have several tiered price/data plans. chances are that folks that use several gigabytes per month will or might end up paying more per month with a tiered plan than what we pay for an unlimited now.

i suspect that those that use little data will end up paying less and those that use a lot will pay a lot more.

11. -MikeR-

-MikeR- New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My sister has her unlimited data plan for like $10-$15 because she as grandfathered in, she even switched phones but i don't know if she renewed her contract. Ill try to get more details.

If they are going to tier 3G ad i have to pay for it they can goto hell. Sprint here i come with my nice employee discount and my DX will be on E-*ay. This sounds like more hope and change. Where did i put that KY!

12. dragozoid

dragozoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully Verizon does this too. What I'd really like to see is $5 for 1GB, $15 for 5GB, and $30 for 10GB but I doubt that would happen. :icon_ nono2:

Search tags for this page
is verizon cutting unlimited data
verizon cutting unlimited data
verizon data prices ever change?

verizon drops unlimited data

verizon restricting unlimited data
why did verizon drop unlimited data
will verizon drop data prices