Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
When AT&T changed to tiered data, I thought that existing customers could keep unlimited data, even after a phone upgrade if they didn't change anything. Am I thinking wrong?

Balthazar B

Reaction score
When AT&T changed to tiered data, I thought that existing customers could keep unlimited data, even after a phone upgrade if they didn't change anything. Am I thinking wrong?

No, that's the way it is with AT&T. So long as you move smartphone to smartphone, or Blackberry to smartphone, you can keep your unlimited data option at the same cost.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score

No, that's the way it is with AT&T. So long as you move smartphone to smartphone, or Blackberry to smartphone, you can keep your unlimited data option at the same cost.

Ahh. Well that will definitely decide whether if I stay or jump ship once my contract is up. dancedroid

corbintechboy

Reaction score
Makes me think about all those people waiting for the X and the Inc.

8/3 expected ship... Would fit right into this time frame. Maybe there was no shortage of phones after all, maybe they noticed all the interest in the newer Droid devices and heard the "ching ching" and decided to make it look like a shortage with a nice convenient date to ship.

Sounds logical!

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
It depends I think on this, I have been a VZW "Unlimited BroadBand Access" Customer for many years now. My account is Grandfathered as True Unlimited Access, as that was the plan I signed my contract on. I have upgraded my device a few times over the years and have not lost that status on my BroadBand Account. My Bill even States, "Unlimited Access". Most of the new plans are listed as 5gig Max accounts. I have even heard of the Unlimited account being transferable too. But once deactivated, The Grandfather status disappears.

We can only hope that since they sold us all "Unlimited Access" on our smartphones, that these also get GrandFather Status too. Only time will tell.

I can tell you this, that VZW can throttle back your connection anytime they want to. They are suppose to have this option in their system. So you only access their network at slower speeds / less data use. I have not had this happen to me yet, but have heard it happening to others. I very seldom cross the 5 gig line though. I come close often. I only use this CDPD Modem (3G, REV-A) while on the road for work. Very seldom at home.

Lucas5

Reaction score
i don't see why verizon can't keep the unlimited data price point and have several tiered price/data plans. chances are that folks that use several gigabytes per month will or might end up paying more per month with a tiered plan than what we pay for an unlimited now.

i suspect that those that use little data will end up paying less and those that use a lot will pay a lot more.

-MikeR-

Reaction score
My sister has her unlimited data plan for like $10-$15 because she as grandfathered in, she even switched phones but i don't know if she renewed her contract. Ill try to get more details.

If they are going to tier 3G ad i have to pay for it they can goto hell. Sprint here i come with my nice employee discount and my DX will be on E-*ay. This sounds like more hope and change. Where did i put that KY!

dragozoid

Reaction score

Hopefully Verizon does this too. What I'd really like to see is $5 for 1GB, $15 for 5GB, and $30 for 10GB but I doubt that would happen. :icon_ nono2:

jase

Reaction score
If true, the Droid will be my last smartphone, at least on Verizon.

With the prevalence of wifi, I could get by with a crappy little flip phone and a small android wifi tablet for media/browsing.

Very seldom have I ever exceeded 2gb in a month, but for a convenience item, nuts if I'm going to do the mental calculations all month whether or not I'll have enough data to stream some music, or the Packers game broadcast on the new NFL app, and still have enough for the rest of the month. That takes it from convenience to chore very quickly.

I've been looking for places to trim the budget a bit, and this would give me one. No anger towards Verizon. I'll just find a different product that suits my needs better.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of me that have AT&T and they got a letter in the mail explaining the unlimited usage and the charges that will be applied to Iphone users. However, it’s just for new customer and no exiting customer. I will imagine that Verizon may go that root. :icon_eek:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sister has her unlimited data plan for like $10-$15 because she as grandfathered in, she even switched phones but i don't know if she renewed her contract. Ill try to get more details.

If they are going to tier 3G ad i have to pay for it they can goto hell. Sprint here i come with my nice employee discount and my DX will be on E-*ay. This sounds like more hope and change. Where did i put that KY!
I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

For one thing, this is a rumor date, nothing is confirmed. Yes, tiering of data is going to happen on VZW. No, nobody knows how it will be enacted, no, VZW will not touch the existing contracts because they know that it will be a "get out of jail free card" if they did enact it. Also, there is no guarantee that Sprint will continue to offer unlimited data either. The big 3 always follow suit, in this case it was AT&T that started, VZW is falling in line (no surprise), and Sprint will do the same thing.

chilosix

Reaction score
i hope not...

When att anounced it's data tiers i cringed knowing that big red was soon to follow.... data tiering will happen.... even with lte we will see speed tiers and higher data caps... I hate that they get us addicted to data and then restrict it... i averaged 1.8 gigs a month with my droid... a 2 gb plan would be cutting it close for me...

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I downloaded the My Verizon app a few days ago. I'm on my 16th day of my month and used 210892kb. so thats like 205.9mb and .2011gb, that sound about right?
Does the average movie use about 600mb? guess I will not be watching movies or using Sirius.......Damn, I just purchased this phone last month and it was just starting to get fun....

Lucas5

Reaction score
i'm not going to get bent out of shape when verizon moves to a tiered pricing plan. i'm probably a light to medium data user so i'll probably save a few bucks when they change.