Verizon SMS Alerts to Help You Manage Your Tiered Data Plan Usage

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo.jpg

Today is the fateful day in which Verizon switches over to their tiered data plans. Whether we hate it or not, Verizon implemented it, and now, to try and assuage some of our pain, they are going to have a free SMS service that alerts you when you are approaching your data limits. Starting this week you will receive free text alerts when you reach 50, 75, 90, 100, and 110 percent of your monthly data allowance. If you have a My Verizon account you can request email alerts instead. The 50 and 75 points can be disabled, but the 90, 100, and 110 are mandatory. Of course, there are several other ways for you to manually check your data usage amounts, like downloading the Data Usage Widget, etc. Below is the press release for this new "feature":
Verizon Wireless Makes it Easy for Customers to Monitor and Manage Data Usage

Data Alerts for Smartphones Latest Addition in Account Management Lineup

BASKING RIDGE, N.J., July 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless smartphone and tablet customers have a variety of ways to monitor and manage their wireless data usage, including new text message alerts that will be sent to smartphone customers to help them keep track of monthly domestic data usage.

Starting this week, smartphone users will begin to receive free text message alerts when their data usage crosses thresholds of 50 percent, 75 percent, 90 percent, 100 percent and 110 percent of their data plans' monthly allowances. Customers who are registered with My Verizon, the online account management tool, may also request email alerts and can add up to three additional email addresses to receive the notifications. My Verizon users also have the option of suppressing the 50 percent and 75 percent alerts. Email alerts for the same threshold levels are already available to tablet, netbook, PC card and Mobile Broadband device customers on usage-based plans.

Verizon Wireless offers a variety of free tools that customers can use to monitor and manage their accounts, including:

* #DATA – Customers can check data usage by dialing #DATA and pressing send from Verizon Wireless phones to receive a free text message with the information.
* My Verizon and My Verizon Mobile – Customers can monitor data usage directly from their handsets via My Verizon Mobile or online through My Verizon.
* Data Usage Calculator – At verizonwireless.com, customers can learn about common features and activities that utilize data and determine estimated total monthly data usage using the * Data Usage Calculator. It can be found by simply searching for "data usage calculator" on the Verizon Wireless website.
* Data Usage Widget – Customers with data plans also can download a Data Usage Widget to most Android™ smartphones, BlackBerry® devices and tablets. The widget tracks usage with a quick glance at the phone screen and with one click connects to the customer's My Verizon Mobile account.

Video Guides Available

Verizon Wireless has developed a series of video guides that offer tips for customers on how to manage their wireless lives, including:

* "It's Easy To Track Your Wireless Usage" highlights easy ways for customers to check and monitor usage.
* "Tips For Traveling Overseas" features tips for customers on how to prepare their phones for overseas travel.
* "Controlling Wireless Usage" demonstrates how customers can use Usage Controls to easily monitor wireless usage for each line on their accounts.
* "Managing Wireless Access: Content Filters" showcases features of Content Filters that allow customers to make sure wireless content is age-appropriate.

Customers can also visit Verizon Wireless Support to view "How To" videos with step-by-step directions on different aspects of account management.

For more information about Verizon Wireless, visit Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

Source: Engadget and VZW Press Release

markietas

Reaction score
Aww how nice of them.

You know these plans wouldn't be so bad if they actually saved anyone money. But since the lowest tier is the same price as unlimited, it's not like you can drop down to a lower one if you don't use that much data and save money.

Reaction score
I'm just glad I have unlimited...with a discount cause of my job...on ALL of my lines.

Sad for those that are just coming in. Is Verizon the only one doing this so far, or have Sprint, ATT, TMobile jumped on this already?

markietas

Reaction score
I'm just glad I have unlimited...with a discount cause of my job...on ALL of my lines.

Sad for those that are just coming in. Is Verizon the only one doing this so far, or have Sprint, ATT, TMobile jumped on this already?

I know AT&T have been doing it for quite a while now.

stinger161

Reaction score
Does this mean they are going to blow me up with texts "Mr Bauer you are approaching unlimited data"?

Reaction score

I know AT&T have been doing it for quite a while now.

Oh ok...not on ATT so never knew. That just blows.

ReidTruett

Reaction score

T-Mobile has been advertising their unlimited plans and I checked Sprint's website a couple of days ago and they still offer unlimited.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Does this mean they are going to blow me up with texts "Mr Bauer you are approaching unlimited data"?

More like: Mr Bauer, you are approaching your data limit and should consider purchasing a higher amount!

GDP

Reaction score
I can't even get the data usage widget on the thunderbolt.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

dmartins

Reaction score
I can't even get the data usage widget on the thunderbolt.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
Yea use a widget to connect to the internet to check how much usage you have left.
Seems like a great way of wasting that data.
Anyone know how often it updates?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why don't they all do what AT&T does with tablet plans - you hit you're 2gigs for the month and you're done unless you reload, and it automatically reloads at the start of every billing cycle.