Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
who's in hysterics? we're just discussing a rumor...i think you're being overly dramatic.

JCo352

Reaction score
what i'm saying is i don't think you're comprehending HOW MUCH data you'd have to use to even approach 5GB in a month if you use your phone normally (and I'm including GPS and Pandora in defining "normal use"). I could try to sit here and purposely use 5GB in a month and it'd still be hard. if you're streaming movies, and tethering all day then you'd need 11GBs a month. if you don't tether, and you don't stream, and you never go above 1.5 a month, then how are you anticipating that one month you might need 5GBs? You'd have to drastically change your usage to even approach that...

I understand I would have change my usage to get near 5gb. Right now I use wifi a lot at the house, but what happens when I go on vacation for two weeks, and I'm not at the house. I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month? Imagine if your ISP eliminated unlimited data, it's the same principle.

i see your point, although i use wifi sparingly and still don't approach anywhere near 5gbs a month...not saying it's impossible obviously since i've read that some people have used upto 20GBs a month (ridiculous), but i still find it hard to believe that even if your on 3G and your using the phone heavily, that with normal usage you can go over 5GBs a month....but i guess it can happen

Yes, I agree about the 20gb a month also. The only upside I see about this is eliminating what this guy is doing in the quote below, which is probably the main reason Verizon is doing this in the first place.

Yeah i know what you mean. I am just happy that I know i wont be tacked with an extra charge now. Im currently at 56 gigs and counting due to Xbox live MW2. I have been for a couple of months and no problems.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand I would have change my usage to get near 5gb. Right now I use wifi a lot at the house, but what happens when I go on vacation for two weeks, and I'm not at the house. I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month? Imagine if your ISP eliminated unlimited data, it's the same principle.

i see your point, although i use wifi sparingly and still don't approach anywhere near 5gbs a month...not saying it's impossible obviously since i've read that some people have used upto 20GBs a month (ridiculous), but i still find it hard to believe that even if your on 3G and your using the phone heavily, that with normal usage you can go over 5GBs a month....but i guess it can happen

Yes, I agree about the 20gb a month also. The only upside I see about this is eliminating what this guy is doing in the quote below, which is probably the main reason Verizon is doing this in the first place.

Yeah i know what you mean. I am just happy that I know i wont be tacked with an extra charge now. Im currently at 56 gigs and counting due to Xbox live MW2. I have been for a couple of months and no problems.

haha precisely. that is unbelievable and verizon has every right to disallow something like that...we're suffering from that too cuz that dude is using all of our bandwidth also...what a moron

Mysfit

Reaction score
As some one who sells Verizon phones / contracts as a third party i asked our rep about this. She is pretty sure this will be for new contracts only, like AT&T upgrades. It is only an equipment change and an extension of the existing contract.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As some one who sells Verizon phones / contracts as a third party i asked our rep about this. She is pretty sure this will be for new contracts only, like AT&T upgrades. It is only an equipment change and an extension of the existing contract.

right, but if you upgrade your phone then i'd assume you'd have to change right, since it's a new contract?

Guchi

Reaction score
i used 8.2gb without tethering watching youtube (high quality) ,and using pandora , along with the other normal functions of the phone. so if vzw follows at&t in pricing I would have been stuck with a $90 data bill, that is complete BS

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i used 8.2gb without tethering watching youtube (high quality) ,and using pandora , along with the other normal functions of the phone. so if vzw follows at&t in pricing I would have been stuck with a $90 data bill, that is complete BS

i'm sorry but i think you watch too many youtube videos...i assume you work because you're paying your bill, but how do you have time to stream and watch 8GB worth of video and radio in a month...

Mysfit

Reaction score

right, but if you upgrade your phone then i'd assume you'd have to change right, since it's a new contract?

no an upgrade is just for equipment it is considered an extension of the current contract. Not that they couldn't change that at any time. But as with all the past changes I would be surprised to see them do that now.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
ah i see, well that's good news if its true, but i assume they'll also allow you to change your contract to a lower tier, so it would work out for everyone

jase

Reaction score
I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month?

This is the key issue for me.

Very seldom have I topped 2gb for a month. I get pretty close fairly often, but seldom top it. On paper, I should be fine with a 2gb tier.

But, assuming it's like AT&T, $25 for 2gb... My new $5 savings is nowhere near enough savings to be excited about doing the mental math each day to figure whether I'm going squeeze in under the cap if I listen to Pandora a little more than usual, or stream some games or highlights from the new NFL app.

For some of us, unlimited data isn't really about having unlimited data... it's about not having to worry about carefully rationing our daily usage to make it to the end of the month.

We'll see. Depends what the tiers are. Lots of speculation, very few facts.

JCo352

Reaction score

i'm sorry but i think you watch too many youtube videos...i assume you work because you're paying your bill, but how do you have time to stream and watch 8GB worth of video and radio in a month...

One short Youtube video can be 25mb easily.

Guchi

Reaction score
i used 8.2gb without tethering. I was watching youtube (high quality) ,and using pandora , along with the other normal functions of the phone. so if vzw follows at&t in pricing I would have been stuck with a $90 data bill, that is complete BS

who are you to say what i do is right or wrong?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i used 8.2gb without tethering. I was watching youtube (high quality) ,and using pandora , along with the other normal functions of the phone. so if vzw follows at&t in pricing I would have been stuck with a $90 data bill, that is complete BS

who are you to say what i do is right or wrong?

did not say you were right or wrong...stop being dramatic, reread what i wrote, and calm down. not going to get into a argument with you over nothing.

JCo352

Reaction score
I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month?

This is the key issue for me.

Very seldom have I topped 2gb for a month. I get pretty close fairly often, but seldom top it. On paper, I should be fine with a 2gb tier.

But, assuming it's like AT&T, $25 for 2gb... My new $5 savings is nowhere near enough savings to be excited about doing the mental math each day to figure whether I'm going squeeze in under the cap if I listen to Pandora a little more than usual, or stream some games or highlights from the new NFL app.

For some of us, unlimited data isn't really about having unlimited data... it's about not having to worry about carefully rationing our daily usage to make it to the end of the month.

We'll see. Depends what the tiers are. Lots of speculation, very few facts.

I couldn't have said it any better myself, my thoughts exactly.