Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

durban

Reaction score
i have no problem with tiered pricing if they are done to reflect the reason they state they are for: to make those who use more pay for more and those who use less pay for less...However, im guessing the top package wont be any cheaper than the current unlimited package...

Perhaps what they should consider instead, and i think this would be a much more effective way to accomplish what they state they are after, put a REASONABLE price per MB of data usage. Perhaps start with the unlimited plans cap and price (5gb, $30)...thats $.006 per MB or about $1 per 166MB.

How about that verizon? Im assuming they wouldnt like that though, because then they would be making less than they currently are. I also dont think this is of issue, because i dont think they are being genuine with the reason for this. They just see a way to make more money and that is what they are going to do.

Mysfit

Reaction score
ah i see, well that's good news if its true, but i assume they'll also allow you to change your contract to a lower tier, so it would work out for everyone

You can go on line and change tiers anytime and that changes the price but not the original contract for service that's actually a contract saying you will keep the service for 2 years. Altering the minutes, text package, mobile web, vz navigator or starting stopping parental controls can be done at will by you still under original contract.

Malkavian

Reaction score
Unlimited and Corporate Account

I wonder how tiered pricing will affect corporate account customers with many phones. It's interesting that when I first go my blackberry, I was supposed to be put on the 5gb plan, but later found out that I was put on the unlimited plan. Not a complaint, but I wonder if it could be due to the primary on the plan, I am the secondary, has a Smartphone provided by their employer. Their employer pays for everything but like $10 or something like that and they have the unlimited data plan because of the corporate email and stuff. It makes me wonder, because of the corporate unlimited data plan on the account, the secondary account also assumes the unlimited data plan.

I now have a Droid and still have the unlimited plan.

We will have to see, I'm in contract until sometime in 2012.

Michael

TechJPC

Reaction score
they hit 11GB a month because they use Verizon as their ISP and probably stream movies lol...no chance a person who is just streaming pandora or GPS is going ANYWHERE near even 5gbs a month

Yeah, I was kinda shocked when I saw that I used 11gb.I also have my corporate email on all the time, so I don't know how much data that is using.

sos567656765

Reaction score
Now this is just plain stupid. I dont tether and I rarely use the radio but I have been known to turn them on for kicks occasionally. I dont know if that will affect me, Im sure it will since they have warnings when you first load up the app about how much data it uses, but Im not in the least bit amused by this.

And honestly with the phones coming out with Blockbuster and Netflix apps right off the bat this just seems like the dumbest idea I ever heard. Those apps were stupid, IMHO. Who in the World would watch a full movie on their Droid without worrying about the battery? But now you cant even use it even if you want to?

i don't know i dont think its stupid. i use less than 1GB a month on average, and i'm paying $30/month extra for it. the ones who use like 11GB a month are most probably tethering nonstop or streaming movies. i agree that i shouldnt have to pay for all that unused data. of course, verizon might mess up everything by offering crappy tiers, but if i can get like 1-2GB for cheaper then 30/month i'm all for it.

You arnt "paying for all that unused data" its unlimited just because you or anyone decides to not use the feature as much as others, myself included, does not translate to you getting the exact same options cheaper. Think going to a all you can eat buffett then asking for a partial refund because you didn't eat as much as the guy at the next table, or saying he should pay more because he ate more then the "average" person.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
At this point it's all speculation as to what their pricing plans will be, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me at all to see the $30/mo plan be for 2GB, with an additional $10/GB after that.

AT&T has their 2GB plan at $25 with the same additional GB price, but we all know that VZW charges a little (or a lot, depending on who you ask) more for their services.

It doesn't matter to me what they do. I don't use the Sirius app anymore, since I got a new physical radio, and I use wifi when I'm at home. Right now (I didn't use wifi for most of the month) I'm sitting at about 168MB used half way through my billing cycle.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now this is just plain stupid. I dont tether and I rarely use the radio but I have been known to turn them on for kicks occasionally. I dont know if that will affect me, Im sure it will since they have warnings when you first load up the app about how much data it uses, but Im not in the least bit amused by this.

And honestly with the phones coming out with Blockbuster and Netflix apps right off the bat this just seems like the dumbest idea I ever heard. Those apps were stupid, IMHO. Who in the World would watch a full movie on their Droid without worrying about the battery? But now you cant even use it even if you want to?

i don't know i dont think its stupid. i use less than 1GB a month on average, and i'm paying $30/month extra for it. the ones who use like 11GB a month are most probably tethering nonstop or streaming movies. i agree that i shouldnt have to pay for all that unused data. of course, verizon might mess up everything by offering crappy tiers, but if i can get like 1-2GB for cheaper then 30/month i'm all for it.

You arnt "paying for all that unused data" its unlimited just because you or anyone decides to not use the feature as much as others, myself included, does not translate to you getting the exact same options cheaper. Think going to a all you can eat buffett then asking for a partial refund because you didn't eat as much as the guy at the next table, or saying he should pay more because he ate more then the "average" person.

worded it incorrectly...didn't mean to say paying extra....what i meant was that i don't need "unlimited" data because i don't use anywhere near what other people are using, and there is no chance that i ever will based on my usage the last 6 months...so a lower tier price would help me and i'd gladly accept it as i'm sure EVERYONE else who has the same usage as me would (of course there are those who say they're worried that one month they may go over...i'm not in that boat).

it's more like going to an all you can eat buffet, when all you can eat is a cheeseburger and fries. not necessary to go to the buffet, especially if you know for sure that you'll NEVER eat more than a cheeseburger and fries.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is exactly the way i look at it. You have a plan that is unlimited, and i'm sorry that you may not use it as much as others, but to speculate what others do to get to 5GB or higher is crazy. I know there are some that abuse it, and they should get punished for that. I know reading corporate email on my phone, and viewing attachments (pdf, docs, ppt) day in and day out, can get a count high. Sorry i have a profession that requires email.

You can say all you want that I should have a laptop that i check mail on instead or what nots... i'm sorry i bought a phone thinking that it has all this capability that i'm already paying alot for, but now if i get a new contract... it's sorry you can't do that anymore without paying an extra 50$. I thought that was the definition of crazy.

And i'm sorry but watching videos doesn't mean your tethering, what i meant by watching videos are youtube videos, and soon to be other videos when allowed i.e. flash or even the blockbuster app, doesn't that allow you to stream them on your phone?

aggiejon04

Reaction score
If Verizon follows AT&T...

Then this may not be so bad... We all figured it would happen w/ 4G, but if VZW follows AT&T all of us early smart phone adopters won't be penalized. I have friends on AT&T that went out and bought the Crapple4 and resigned 2 year agreements for the cheaper upgrade but were grandfathered under the existing data plan. Basically AT&T told them that if you were all ready on unlimited NEVER change your data plan as you will lose the unlimited, but if you just resign you are ok. the Tiered data plans at AT&T are nailing the new smart phone contracts not existing. If that is the case I will never ever change my data plan. I HOPE this will be the case since I still know people on the old 3000 minutes for $40 bucks on Tmobile, they upgrade as often as they want but never change their minute plan... Also I'd be ok w/ traffic shaping after your limit... if i download 5GB at 10mbps, drop me to 7, then to 5, then to 3, etc...

jase

Reaction score
it's more like going to an all you can eat buffet, when all you can eat is a cheeseburger and fries. not necessary to go to the buffet, especially if you know for sure that you'll NEVER eat more than a cheeseburger and fries.

Which is why they have different types of restaurants, to cater to the wants of different customers.

I don't think anyone objects to Verizon adding tiers. What many object to is (potentially) getting rid of the unlimited plan.

Buffet eaters wouldn't like to be forced into eating at a cheeseburger restaurant, and cheeseburger eaters wouldn't like to be forced into a buffet plan. They have options for restaurants to satisfy either desire.

Verizon data users apparently won't have equivalent options when choosing data plans. They're closing the buffet, and putting up a McDonalds.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is exactly the way i look at it. You have a plan that is unlimited, and i'm sorry that you may not use it as much as others, but to speculate what others do to get to 5GB or higher is crazy. I know there are some that abuse it, and they should get punished for that. I know reading corporate email on my phone, and viewing attachments (pdf, docs, ppt) day in and day out, can get a count high. Sorry i have a profession that requires email.

You can say all you want that I should have a laptop that i check mail on instead or what nots... i'm sorry i bought a phone thinking that it has all this capability that i'm already paying alot for, but now if i get a new contract... it's sorry you can't do that anymore without paying an extra 50$. I thought that was the definition of crazy.

And i'm sorry but watching videos doesn't mean your tethering, what i meant by watching videos are youtube videos, and soon to be other videos when allowed i.e. flash or even the blockbuster app, doesn't that allow you to stream them on your phone?

i dont get why people assume i'm telling them what they should or should not use. you can tether and play xbox with your droid all you want lol...i'm sayin for MYSELF i will never use more than 2GB a month (and most probably will never even use that) so that if verizon offers a tiered plan that allows me to pay less, then i'd take it. to speculate that everyone wants unlimited data and pay 30/month is just as silly as you claim I am by speculating that you are using your phone to tether.

i don't NEED unlimited data (especially not at $30/month)...if verizon offers a tier at 2GB for cheaper, I will be paying less every month. simple as that. has nothing to do with you.

you may think you "NEED" unlimited data, but the reality (as proven by verizon's research) is that a very very VERY few percentage of users even go above 5gbs...in the long run it helps verizon, and helps the consumers who don't use that much data...its ridiculous that again, you assume this is corporate greed or craziness, when it's not...what it is though is that pesky feeling of entitlement again...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Which is why they have different types of restaurants, to cater to the wants of different customers.

I don't think anyone objects to Verizon adding tiers. What many object to is (potentially) getting rid of the unlimited plan.

Buffet eaters wouldn't like to be forced into eating at a cheeseburger restaurant, and cheeseburger eaters wouldn't like to be forced into a buffet plan. They have options for restaurants to satisfy either desire.

Verizon data users apparently won't have equivalent options when choosing data plans. They're closing the buffet, and putting up a McDonalds.

even if verizon gets rid of the unlimited plan, they're top tier will be an amount that most (not all) NORMAL users will never eclipse. if they want to make money off the 1% that do, that's their prerogative (and their right, as we're using their network...)....it'll suck if the price of a so called "unlimited" plan goes higher, but again, they have a business for a reason...not to be nice to everyone and let them abuse their network...they have to make money too.

baaldemon

Reaction score
Just streaming radio/music on my commute I use more than 2gbs a month. Id be shocked if vzw came out with as small data plans as att. It wouldn't suprise me if the included an un limited plan in their tiered options, along with limited plans. Id definitely give up my smart phone if I was limited to 2gbs a month, its fing retarded. There is no reason why they can't just actively handle node congestion and still let you use as much data as you want. Its the same as the isps there's no technologically valid reason for limiting to a certain amount of data, all that needs to be done is active traffic management during peak times.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish a mod would shut this down until something official is announced.

...ok. i wish people who are not interested in a discussion wouldn't read it and then post in it. just move on if you don't like it. no one is biting anyone's heads off, we're just discussing a rumor. what's the big deal?