Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

NVash

Reaction score
Well, long as I can listen to the radio, read my comics daily and still use the internet while paying the same price Im fine. If it goes up Im going to be beyond annoyed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, long as I can listen to the radio, read my comics daily and still use the internet while paying the same price Im fine. If it goes up Im going to be beyond annoyed.

you'll be able to do this, and use gps for the whole month without being charged overages. verizon is doing what they have to do to save money. people need to stop complaining because now they have to get an ISP :dry:

xpezdj

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about this, I use my phone ALOT streaming radio ect. And have an extremely hard time hitting 1 GB... Quite shocked actually, how the hell do you use 11GB a month haha. So if it's cheaper than hell yea I'm all for it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
they hit 11GB a month because they use Verizon as their ISP and probably stream movies lol...no chance a person who is just streaming pandora or GPS is going ANYWHERE near even 5gbs a month

Jizzylax

Reaction score
Great news if this can save me a few bucks each month on my bill. Terrible news if it is going to cost me more. If it does cost more, I'll ditch the smartphone and get a dumbphone. I already hate paying $30 as it is.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
For those interested, I found a little thing in the Market Place called Data Counter Widget (Data counter widget for Android). It looks good and from what I'm looking at right now, has columns for Wi-Fi, Cell and something called BT (see the data counter stats screenshot on that link). Default update rate is set at 2 minutes, but can be changed to 5, 10, 15, 20 or 30. It looks like you can also change the date to start the tracking for each month to coincide with your plan.
I'm trying it out to see how it works but thought others might be interested to see how much they really use.

JCo352

Reaction score

you'll be able to do this, and use gps for the whole month without being charged overages. verizon is doing what they have to do to save money. people need to stop complaining because now they have to get an ISP :dry:

I'm complaining, I don't tether, I have an ISP, and I probably don't even go above 1.5gb a month. The point is, if happen to need that unlimited data one month out of the year, it should be there. I doubt Verizon needs to save money, they make plenty on texting plans alone. I'm all for people that want to save money because the don't use a lot of data, but that doesn't mean they should eliminate unlimited data all together.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm complaining, I don't tether, I have an ISP, and I probably don't even go above 1.5gb a month. The point is, if happen to need that unlimited data one month out of the year, it should be there. I doubt Verizon needs to save money, they make plenty on texting plans alone. I'm all for people that want to save money because the don't use a lot of data, but that doesn't mean they should eliminate unlimited data all together.

what i'm saying is i don't think you're comprehending HOW MUCH data you'd have to use to even approach 5GB in a month if you use your phone normally (and I'm including GPS and Pandora in defining "normal use"). I could try to sit here and purposely use 5GB in a month and it'd still be hard. if you're streaming movies, and tethering all day then you'd need 11GBs a month. if you don't tether, and you don't stream, and you never go above 1.5 a month, then how are you anticipating that one month you might need 5GBs? You'd have to drastically change your usage to even approach that...

parker34

Reaction score
even if they allow me to keep my unlimited i am still debating on getting the evo with sprint....just checked and i can get unlimited data and messaging with 1500 minutes for me, my wife, and my son for 80 dollars cheaper than what i am right now!! And my wife doesn't even have a smartphone right now

liquidzoo

Reaction score
they hit 11GB a month because they use Verizon as their ISP and probably stream movies lol...no chance a person who is just streaming pandora or GPS is going ANYWHERE near even 5gbs a month

Don't forget the SiriusXM app.

I used it all day (10 hrs including commute), every weekday for a couple of weeks and it was not uncommon for me to use almost 1GB/day.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I used it all day (10 hrs including commute), every weekday for a couple of weeks and it was not uncommon for me to use almost 1GB/day.

Ah ok, never used that app...

JCo352

Reaction score

what i'm saying is i don't think you're comprehending HOW MUCH data you'd have to use to even approach 5GB in a month if you use your phone normally (and I'm including GPS and Pandora in defining "normal use"). I could try to sit here and purposely use 5GB in a month and it'd still be hard. if you're streaming movies, and tethering all day then you'd need 11GBs a month. if you don't tether, and you don't stream, and you never go above 1.5 a month, then how are you anticipating that one month you might need 5GBs? You'd have to drastically change your usage to even approach that...

I understand I would have change my usage to get near 5gb. Right now I use wifi a lot at the house, but what happens when I go on vacation for two weeks, and I'm not at the house. I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month? Imagine if your ISP eliminated unlimited data, it's the same principle.

JCo352

Reaction score

Exactly, and you should be able to do that. Now you may have to worry about how much you listen to it, and that is unacceptable.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I understand I would have change my usage to get near 5gb. Right now I use wifi a lot at the house, but what happens when I go on vacation for two weeks, and I'm not at the house. I should have to worry about what I do on my phone for those two weeks so I don't go over for the rest of the month? Imagine if your ISP eliminated unlimited data, it's the same principle.

i see your point, although i use wifi sparingly and still don't approach anywhere near 5gbs a month...not saying it's impossible obviously since i've read that some people have used upto 20GBs a month (ridiculous), but i still find it hard to believe that even if your on 3G and your using the phone heavily, that with normal usage you can go over 5GBs a month....but i guess it can happen

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
well again we dont know the tiers yet so of course its all speculation. maybe they'll have a plan that costs more for unlimited and from a business standpoint it makes sense for them to charge for it...i'm not worried because i know regardless of what the tiers are i'll be good with the lowest one unless they pull a fast one and only allow 512MB lol...