Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want to add that this would almost make maps unusable if going on a road trip, imagine how data that takes.

Nope. Unless you are constantly traveling and constantly using the turn-by-turn navigation over the course of a month, you won't exceed a reasonable level of data use. And if you are, you're probably better off with a dedicated GPS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i still don't know how people use 5GBs a month lol...what are you people doing with your phones? i've used .2GB this month and my cycle started the 5th...

TechJPC

Reaction score
Just checked my history and in May 2010, I used 11gb :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:.
I was using Pandora ALOT . March 2010 I used 1.1 gb.So far this month I'm up to 4gb and my cycle ends on 7/25.

Pandora, SirisuXm, etc will be useless when they take away unlimited. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

JCo352

Reaction score
I just want to add that this would almost make maps unusable if going on a road trip, imagine how data that takes.

Nope. Unless you are constantly traveling and constantly using the turn-by-turn navigation over the course of a month, you won't exceed a reasonable level of data use. And if you are, you're probably better off with a dedicated GPS.

How can you even say this? First, you don't even know what the data plans will be. Second, one 15 hour trip with nav on the whole time would use ALOT of data. You may not go over, but you may not have enough data left for the rest of the month. Don't act like you know so much, when in fact, you're in the dark just like the rest of us.

tdog7879

Reaction score
Got a silly question. ...if we use are wifi does that effect are usage?

Aximtreo

Reaction score
What are we as the consuming public coming to? Where does it say we are entitled to unlimited data useage? Doesn't it state plainly that Verizon reserves the right to change content of these plans during our plan period; ie; i year or two.

Come on guys, we sound like a bunch of long time Democrats. We aren't entitled to anything but the right to choose whether we go with the new plan or not. Since we don't know what that plan is or how it will affect what we have now, quit bellyaching until you have something you feel you have a right to bellyache. Remember, bellyaching is a freedom not an entitlement. Soap box dissasembled (spelling not a strong suit) and I'm off to work so I can pay that bill we all are complaining about.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are we as the consuming public coming to? Where does it say we are entitled to unlimited data useage? Doesn't it state plainly that Verizon reserves the right to change content of these plans during our plan period; ie; i year or two.

Come on guys, we sound like a bunch of long time Democrats. We aren't entitled to anything but the right to choose whether we go with the new plan or not. Since we don't know what that plan is or how it will affect what we have now, quit bellyaching until you have something you feel you have a right to bellyache. Remember, bellyaching is a freedom not an entitlement. Soap box dissasembled (spelling not a strong suit) and I'm off to work so I can pay that bill we all are complaining about.

oh believe me there's PLENTY of entitlement issues on these forums (see, "Verizon can't encrypt my bootloader because I paid for it", and other various dumb complaints)

tdog7879

Reaction score
Well there is a great app that will turn your wifi on when your home or you can put in other locations. ..it called wifi enabler

baileyjs

Reaction score
is there anything in the small print of the contracts that allows them to break it in regards to data usage? I remember reading somewhere someone stated that there is thus they can tell when you're tethering and charge you for it.

NVash

Reaction score
Now this is just plain stupid. I dont tether and I rarely use the radio but I have been known to turn them on for kicks occasionally. I dont know if that will affect me, Im sure it will since they have warnings when you first load up the app about how much data it uses, but Im not in the least bit amused by this.

And honestly with the phones coming out with Blockbuster and Netflix apps right off the bat this just seems like the dumbest idea I ever heard. Those apps were stupid, IMHO. Who in the World would watch a full movie on their Droid without worrying about the battery? But now you cant even use it even if you want to?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now this is just plain stupid. I dont tether and I rarely use the radio but I have been known to turn them on for kicks occasionally. I dont know if that will affect me, Im sure it will since they have warnings when you first load up the app about how much data it uses, but Im not in the least bit amused by this.

And honestly with the phones coming out with Blockbuster and Netflix apps right off the bat this just seems like the dumbest idea I ever heard. Those apps were stupid, IMHO. Who in the World would watch a full movie on their Droid without worrying about the battery? But now you cant even use it even if you want to?

i don't know i dont think its stupid. i use less than 1GB a month on average, and i'm paying $30/month extra for it. the ones who use like 11GB a month are most probably tethering nonstop or streaming movies. i agree that i shouldnt have to pay for all that unused data. of course, verizon might mess up everything by offering crappy tiers, but if i can get like 1-2GB for cheaper then 30/month i'm all for it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

How can you even say this? First, you don't even know what the data plans will be. Second, one 15 hour trip with nav on the whole time would use ALOT of data. You may not go over, but you may not have enough data left for the rest of the month. Don't act like you know so much, when in fact, you're in the dark just like the rest of us.

Phrases like "ALOT of data" is hardly a quantitative estimate. My usage this month included a total of 20+ hours on my motorcycle using google maps as well as browsing, listening to Pandora for about 30 hours over 3G, and various and sundry routine uses. Total use for the month so far? 1.1 gigs.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Phrases like "ALOT of data" is hardly a quantitative estimate. My usage this month included a total of 20+ hours on my motorcycle using google maps as well as browsing, listening to Pandora for about 30 hours over 3G, and various and sundry routine uses. Total use for the month so far? 1.1 gigs.

+1, GPS doesn't use a lot of data, nor does streaming pandora. i do it all the time and i have barely ever reached 1 gig. the killers are the tether-ers and the people who stream tv or movies...you're not going to go over your limit using apps that are downloadable in the market, especially not apps like GPS and pandora

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just looked at my data usage since I got my droid in Feb and it looks like my heaviest cycle was 1.2gigs. I figgered I'd be using A LOT more than that with the amount of use my droid gets. I guess I'll be ok with a tiered plan, save some cash.

Also, the new usage widget from the My Verizon sucks. It always says not connected and I have to fire up the app to get a reading (whats the point of the widget if I have to go into the app to make it work!?)