unsucessful root

flcastillo1975

Reaction score
i amptemed to root from phone... on a droid with 2.2... permission denied... aint happening ... i still have the stock theme and after this weekends BBQ and all the cool themes i saw, its time to up grade ... can someone help guide me in the right direction

joeybarclay

Reaction score
How about link 3 in my sig, the right way to root.

That is the right way but not everyones computer agrees with RSD light. I have used it several times and once it almost bricked my phone. RSD isn't as reliable IMO. I am not trying to start an argument that just my experience.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is the right way but not everyones computer agrees with RSD light. I have used it several times and once it almost bricked my phone..

RSD is finicky but it's still the best way IMO, but there is more then one way to skin a cat.

And I doubt you even came close to bricking your phone unless the usb cord was pulled during data transfer.

OP
flcastillo1975

flcastillo1975

Reaction score
hey thanks... i will try that tonight ... had an admin try to help this weekend in austin at bbq ... but we werent sucessful

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I would just urge you NOT to use the one step methods or easy root. I have seen a multitude of issues with these methods and most of them end with the person not having root access.

As Tallica said, follow his link, which is the best way to root and has not let anyone down yet. If you get stuck we are here to help.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is the right way but not everyones computer agrees with RSD light. I have used it several times and once it almost bricked my phone..

RSD is finicky but it's still the best way IMO, but there is more then one way to skin a cat.

And I doubt you even came close to bricking your phone unless the usb cord was pulled during data transfer.

Even then, you can just plug up and reflash and it will be ok.

Trust me, I know :)

Btw, rsd is not the only option. A vm of linux using sbf_flash is THE best way to root, but definitely not the most practical.

Sent from my Droid

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Even then, you can just plug up and reflash and it will be ok.

Trust me, I know :)

Btw, rsd is not the only option. A vm of linux using sbf_flash is THE best way to root, but definitely not the most practical.

Sent from my Droid

If anyone knows about that, it's you Tank :D

OP
flcastillo1975

flcastillo1975

Reaction score
tired the onne click root... nope access denied ... would not work .... gonna try the other method this weekend

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tank, is there a link to the vm method via Linux? Or if you'd care to write up a doc I'm sure some would appreciate it.

I'm moving this thread from tech support to droid 1 rooted help section to increase the odd of others chiming in who check out this section of the forums

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tank, is there a link to the vm method via Linux? Or if you'd care to write up a doc I'm sure some would appreciate it.

I'm moving this thread from tech support to droid 1 rooted help section to increase the odd of others chiming in who check out this section of the forums

I honestly don't know. I hardly EVER boot into windows, and use sbf_flash in linux to flash everything for me. I've just heard of people using a vm to root before. I might be able to do something at one time or another, but right now I'm just kinda busy.

And of course I've dual booted my laptop, but not many want to do that just to root a phone, that's why I said vm :p

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I honestly don't know. I hardly EVER boot into windows, and use sbf_flash in linux to flash everything for me. I've just heard of people using a vm to root before. I might be able to do something at one time or another, but right now I'm just kinda busy.

And of course I've dual booted my laptop, but not many want to do that just to root a phone, that's why I said vm :p

de ja vu: usb stick with something like a 10mb ( Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable or some other Linux build that would fit on a usb drive) distro you can boot up, via USB stick, and then root the phone. We talked about this before. It would be a fun project for someone to put together....if they had some spare time ;)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

de ja vu: usb stick with something like a 10mb ( Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable ) distro you can boot up, via USB stick, and then root the phone. We talked about this before. It would be a fun project for someone to put together....if they had some spare time ;)

I do remember that. AH how I miss those times. I'll look into it one day when I have the time... :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
tired the onne click root... nope access denied ... would not work .... gonna try the other method this weekend

As Tallica said, there's more than one way to skin a cat ;), see below.

But really my first impression in this thread is to try to ask you to provide more details as to the exact steps you've taken and exactly where you get a failure, because so far, you've been pretty obscure in said details.

When hacking, it's all in the details. . . .

good luck