took my Bionic back to wait for the Motorola Dinara

brandon9559

Reaction score
The bionic has a high quality screen, dual core, and 4g...but something about it made you obviously not want it. What are the odds the the "next big thing" that you are holding out for will hot have a similar quirk? Or something worse?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Obviously we can't know the odds, but to me personally the screen is of high importance, so if it has the main qualities I'm looking for, I'll have no problem looking past the other shortfalls if it meets my realistic expectations.

My main concern isn't what people think about me personally, I just felt like the phrase "you'll be waiting forever" has been thrown around so much as of late and I honestly think it doesn't apply to the majority of users.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Really? You think so?

I know that you are referring to the grid effect...but have you wondered why some things like say the bootanimation eye is so incredibly HD?... how crisp does an image have to be on the screen to know what a screen is capable of?...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find the screen great - I see no grid at all.

As far as faster phones - we are at the same point in smartphones now that computers hit some years ago. You won't notice faster.

I expect in 2 years when I turn in the Bionic I'll get a nicer screen, a way better battery and most of the other stuff will be the same.

brandon9559

Reaction score
Really? You think so?

That's not an opinion. That is a fact. Now whether or not it should he classified as a high quality screen? Probably not but I can't change that. However I don't see these pixel issues that everyone else seems to be so worked up about. At all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

revelated

Reaction score
I don't see how I'm just as guilty for wanting a high quality screen with a dual core processor and 4g LTE. There are 2-3 phones confirmed right now with those specs coming within the next 6 months. You're assuming that you and I have equal expectations, which we don't. What you're willing to "deal with", I choose not to. What I want in a device is realistic and it certainly won't take forever to be released, therefore I choose to wait.

And what are you going to do if the next device comes out and has a perfect screen, 4G, Gorilla Glass, dual core, 16GB of RAM, 32GB of internal memory...and a battery life that doesn't exceed 5 hours? Will you accept such a device?

Or what about one that has everything else, but the audio quality is horrible?

What about one that has flawless specs but constantly freezes? Will you take it anyway?

Obviously we can't know the odds, but to me personally the screen is of high importance, so if it has the main qualities I'm looking for, I'll have no problem looking past the other shortfalls if it meets my realistic expectations.

And that's all I'm saying - you will need to learn to tolerate certain things. If screen was such a big deal you'd own an iPhone by now. You don't, so clearly the screen is not the be-all-end-all you're making it out to be. There are other things you require in a device, whether you are open to admitting such or not.

My POINT is that every device that comes out has a flaw. Sometimes you don't know that the flaw is a true deal breaker until you get the device. You're saying you're just going to wait until you get the device you want - I submit that such a device won't ever exist. There will ALWAYS be a deal breaking flaw. Such is the nature of technology. It's up to us to get to a point where we learn to be tolerant of such things that are actually nitpicks.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I find the screen great - I see no grid at all.

As far as faster phones - we are at the same point in smartphones now that computers hit some years ago. You won't notice faster.

I expect in 2 years when I turn in the Bionic I'll get a nicer screen, a way better battery and most of the other stuff will be the same.

I agree, phones will get more powerful and quicker. The quicker part will be kinda hard to detect though!

Last edited:

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
Im with OP: I want to spend my money and get a device that satisfies my specs: dual core, 4G, and good screen. Now, wanting something thats not made yet is one thing, but the three specs I've mentioned are out there and being produced, so im same as op, will wait for a device that has these specs.
i dont agree to "learn to deal" with certain things, especially with the grainy screen. Thechology is there for better screens, just look at iphone (please dont give me "buy iphone" crap cause if wanted an iphone i wouldve bought one), what im saying is there are better sceeens ou there. Verizon 4g is amazing, so any phone thats 4g, dual core, and has a good lookong screen- thats my device

revelated

Reaction score
Im with OP: I want to spend my money and get a device that satisfies my specs: dual core, 4G, and good screen. Now, wanting something thats not made yet is one thing, but the three specs I've mentioned are out there and being produced, so im same as op, will wait for a device that has these specs.
i dont agree to "learn to deal" with certain things, especially with the grainy screen. Thechology is there for better screens, just look at iphone (please dont give me "buy iphone" crap cause if wanted an iphone i wouldve bought one), what im saying is there are better sceeens ou there. Verizon 4g is amazing, so any phone thats 4g, dual core, and has a good lookong screen- thats my device

In other words, when Samsung comes out with their next device, assuming it's dual core, regardless of it having poor battery. You're saying that's acceptable? Serious question.

revelated

Reaction score
Yes, battery life is not a deal breaker for me

...or more apropos, you are willing to tolerate poor battery life if that happens to be one of the only downsides of whatever device you get.

I'm fairly certain that's what I said before. And that's perfectly normal and expected. That's all I'm saying. But other posts that effectively say "I want it all/brand new socks and draws" just don't make any sense. There will never be a 100% perfect device. There is always something wrong with every device that comes out. The question is whether it's so wrong as to be a deal breaker or not.

brandon9559

Reaction score
I wish I could see this deal breaking screen on some of these bionics floating around here...

revelated

Reaction score
I wish I could see this deal breaking screen on some of these bionics floating around here...

I really think a lot of people are just wowed by the iPhone's screen such that they expect other phones to get screens like that.

The pentile effect is really only prominent when looking at shades of gray. If you go into Files, you can easily see it at the bottom. But I mean, that's the only place I can really make it out for more than a split second. Besides that the screen looks fine to me - the Thunderbolt does have a better screen, but its battery is also a fraction of what the Bionic can do under the same use case.

Different strokes. I'd rather have a phone that lasts me two days without charging it, one that I know won't cut off on me during a business transaction that might make or cost me thousands of dollars, than worry about a screen that's going to be off 20 hours of a 24-hour day.