[THEME] I present... 24k Black Glass for UD 2.3.. A Gold color theme

lsdozer

Reaction score
DrRickRyp,

So, I am trying to modify the chrome dinc 2.3 file and remove the sholes reference. Three questions:

1. do I open the file up and change it on the phone or computer

2. What program do I use to modify the command line

3. what exactly do I remove in the line? I see sholes a couple times in the line, and I see several characters on either side, including spaces. Would you have time to post the line before modification and after modification, so I could see what exactly to remove from the line?

Thanks in advance

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Iso..hold on..

lsdozer

Reaction score
Nice. Getting ready to load it. I need to figure out how to do this stuff.

Has DrRickryp modded the chrome file by chance?

Not sure I will like the Gold, not my taste. Maybe I can load the 24k file and check out the line in question and figure out what he changed.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
just yank his updater-script out and put it in chrome. Only thing you will notice is that it will say "Get your Gold on!" Cause, well.. it's golds updater :)

lsdozer

Reaction score
Yes. Finally got it! Man that was harder than it should have been. Kept getting messed up with the re-zipping the folder back up on the computer. Stupid thing kept zipping it onto a sub folder and the phone wouldnt install it.

Finally tried it on the computer in root explorer and it worked perfectly after I deleted the sub-folder.

Awesome work.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:woot: glad to see you up and running Isd.

Thanks

drrickryp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I find it is easier to modify it on the computer. I use 7zip, its free and works well. Download the theme file to your computer, open it with 7zip. Don't extract it. In 7zip, follow the directories in META-INF until you get to a file called "updater-script". Right click on it and choose view with notepad (this is assuming windows OS). Make the changes and exit. It will ask you if you want to save it. Click "yes". It will then ask if you want to update it in the archive. Click "yes" to this, this is the key step. Should be good to go then.

lsdozer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I find it is easier to modify it on the computer. I use 7zip, its free and works well. Download the theme file to your computer, open it with 7zip. Don't extract it. In 7zip, follow the directories in META-INF until you get to a file called "updater-script". Right click on it and choose view with notepad (this is assuming windows OS). Make the changes and exit. It will ask you if you want to save it. Click "yes". It will then ask if you want to update it in the archive. Click "yes" to this, this is the key step. Should be good to go then.

Ahh, I was unzipping it with 7zip, and couldnt get it to work.

drrickryp

Reaction score
How to port your own themes.

If you are a bit more adventurous, you can port your own themes to any new ROM that comes out. I use the universal theme porter (beta) and 7zip. You can find the porter here:

[Release][Program] Universal Theme Porter (Beta) - xda-developers

extract the .exe file to your desktop or a folder that you can easily find.

Step-by-step instructions:
1) Load up the new ROM that you want to theme to your phone and install it. By this I mean the Stock Rom you are running or plan to run on your phone. (like the ones you download from Raffica's page, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ul...ll-devices-d1-inc-evo-4g-desire-cdma-gsm.html)
Make sure it runs ok on your phone before starting this process.
2) Also, download this same Stock ROM to a folder that you can easily find or to your desktop.
3) Before you run the UniversalThemePorter, Do the following:
4) Open the Stock ROM you just downloaded to your computer using 7zip by right clicking on the file and choosing open with 7zip. Don't extract it. you will be working inside of the zip file. You will see two folders "system" and "META-INF". If you see any other files,(UD has one called boot.img) delete them.
5) Leave the META-INF folder alone for now. You will be coming back to it later.
6) Click into the 'system' folder
7) There will be a number of folders in the "system" folder and perhaps a build.prop file as well. Delete the build.prop and all the other folders EXCEPT for the "app" folder and the framework" folder.
8) Leave the "app" folder alone and click on the "framework" folder
9) Remove all of the files from the "framework" folder EXCEPT framework-res.apk.
10) Now go back to the META-INF folder. Follow the directories until you get to a file called "updater-script". The typical path is META-INF-->com-->android-->google. In the google folder are two files. Leave the "update-binary" alone. In fact, don't mess with anything in the META-INF folder except the "updater-script" file. The META-INF folder tells the phone where to put all the other files.
11) Right click on the "updater-script" file and choose the "view with notepad" option.
11) Delete everything in the "updater-script" file and replace it with this:

ui_print("Installing theme...");
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
show_progress(0.500000, 40);
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
show_progress(0.200000, 10);
mount("MTD", "sdcard", "/sdcard");
package_extract_dir("sdcard", "/sdcard");
show_progress(0.100000, 10);
ui_print("Keep your socks on, I'm working as fast as I can!");
unmount("/system");

12) For sh*ts and giggles you can put any message you want inside the quotes on the second to last line above.
13) Exit from notepad and say "yes" to save the file, and "yes" to confirm that you want to save it in the archive. You may want to rename this stripped out rom file so you don't mistake it for the original ROM in the future. I try to always use the original ROM i am running on my phone for porting purposes because it contains the signature files and all of the original apps. There are probably other good reasons as well.

You are now ready to PORT YOUR THEME using the Universalthemeporter(beta).exe! It's a spiffy little file that updates itself. Fire it up. If it wants to update, let it.

1) Select the file that has the theme you want to port in the top line.
2) Select the stripped out Stock ROM file you just created in the second line called "select stock rom" (I bet you guessed that!)
3) Now, Push the "Port" button.

If all goes well, the program will create a "port" subdirectory and then proceed to do it's magical thing. It takes a while, so this is a good time to light up your favorite herb. When it finishes, bells will ring and you will be carried off to the subdirectory in "port" containing your new ported theme file called: Final.zip
4) This is the new updated theme file. It should be compatible with the Stock ROM on your phone. You can use it as is, rename it update.zip or whatever you like. Copy it over to your phone and flash it like any new theme.

If this works for you, GREAT! you have much power in your hands Grasshopper. You can now port almost any theme whether it was created for your phone or not to a compatible Stock ROM and flash it. Use your new powers wisely.

If it doesn't work, have your mommy explain it to you.

AS FOR ME, I'm patiently waiting for blackdroid to release the new version of UD so I can port Xkape's golden wizardry to it. dancedroid

___

The reason people love puppies so much is that they wag their tails and not their tongues.

Last edited:
OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The only thing the porter will not do, is port xml edits. Removing the sholes from META INF... will make it work for the Dinc though. If you are trying to port a theme to a new ROM, you will have to get a stock frame, decompile it, change the xmls, recompile and put the images back in. I edit my xmls. So, using the theme porter to take the theme to, say, LFY, you would end up with white keyboard text instead of black.. thats just an example.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to post about that having issues with BlackDroid's ROMs... also that the script can be much, much smaller...lol

drrickryp

Reaction score
Porting 24k gold to ud 2.4.0.

This morning I ported Xkape's 24k black glass gold theme done for 2.3.0 to the new UD 2.4.0. While it may not be perfect, (see comments above) it is still pretty good. I am posting some screenshots in a zip file. Let me know what you think.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This morning I ported Xkape's 24k black glass gold theme done for 2.3.0 to the new UD 2.4.0. While it may not be perfect, (see comments above) it is still pretty good. I am posting some screenshots in a zip file. Let me know what you think.

I'd be completely surprised if it ported correctly with everything working properly... BlackDroid has a way of altering things that requires more hands on moding by the themers, so while you may have screenshots that show some of the port actually taking, all in all, there is probably a lot that malfunctions..... but thanks for suggesting that porting method, it probably does do well with some other ROMs..;)