The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

gunn

Reaction score
Oh, it's not really $50 off, you get a gift card. For any upgrade phone.

ETA: I don't shop best buy enough to use the card for anything. Wish it was $50 off... I would go there in an instant! I'm only getting $30 from Verizon for a "loyalty" discount. They e-mailed me about it for the Razr Maxx, 32gb of course.

FWIW, I checked the VZW website this morning and when a chat box popped up, I asked about the release date for the Droid 4. The woman took forever to come back (3-4 minutes -- allegedly checking with folks) and she came back stating that the Droid 4 will be released tomorrow.

For me, I can't wait to ditch AT&T for VZW and finally get a network that works reliably (in the SF Bay Area, CA) AND has a decent network speed (I have to use 2G on my IPHONE 3G to get anything approximating useful service).

Despite playing with the DROID4 at CES, I'm still on the fence about which phone to pick up: DROID4 or RAZR Maxx.
1) Right now I'm leaning towards the RAZR MAXX after playing with my friends and finding that the text-to-speech engine works quite well (for me, anyway). This minimalizes the value of the keyboard. Having a battery that will actually last a full day is also a big plus (I understand how power hungry the 1st gen LTE basebands are right now).

2) The only thing that would tip it over for me to the DROID4 would be confirmation that i can use the SIM slot for 3G GSM service in foreign countries (none of the folks at CES could answer this question for me definitely - Motorola couldn't comment and the VZW lady was clueless).

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Oh, it's not really $50 off, you get a gift card. For any upgrade phone.

ETA: I don't shop best buy enough to use the card for anything. Wish it was $50 off... I would go there in an instant! I'm only getting $30 from Verizon for a "loyalty" discount. They e-mailed me about it for the Razr Maxx, 32gb of course.

Terms say you can apply it towards the purchase at the register.

Good to know!

I wonder how long I can wait before they're sold out. I have to work (was out sick on Mon and Tue... although I am still coughing;)). So probably after work, unless I can get there at lunch... need to google closer best buys.

amishdude01

Reaction score
FWIW, I checked the VZW website this morning and when a chat box popped up, I asked about the release date for the Droid 4. The woman took forever to come back (3-4 minutes -- allegedly checking with folks) and she came back stating that the Droid 4 will be released tomorrow.

I just did the same thing and the rep told me they have no information regarding the release date... =/

debdroid1a

Reaction score

:rofl3:

"but unless Big Red surprises us with an announcement today or tomorrow morning, you can set your sights on next week."

so take it for what it is.
There aren't any pics of any leaked documents showing a date... so it could even have said May 10th. So they'll probably do what a lot of blogs or sites do... keep saying next week until inventory is at Verizon or Verizon announces it...

daryls61

Reaction score
:rofl3:

"but unless Big Red surprises us with an announcement today or tomorrow morning, you can set your sights on next week."

so take it for what it is.
There aren't any pics of any leaked documents showing a date... so it could even have said May 10th. So they'll probably do what a lot of blogs or sites do... keep saying next week until inventory is at Verizon or Verizon announces it...

I hope you are right. My Droid 1 is dying a slow death. I would love to get a new phone tomorrow. Also, if it is May 10, I will have to adjust my countdown. lol

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I hope you are right. My Droid 1 is dying a slow death. I would love to get a new phone tomorrow. Also, if it is May 10, I will have to adjust my countdown. lol

I have a 'source'.

I checked the calendar, I know for a fact May 10 is a Thursday... And Verizon always releases new phones on a Thursday...
:p

My D1 isn't too bad. But not that good. I don't even dare update any aps. Well a few. But I have a ton to update and I don't dare. The factory reset I did about a month ago helped (my calls were going straight to voice mail) so I had to download some apps I use most often and leave most of the fun ones off...

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I have a 'source'.

I checked the calendar, I know for a fact May 10 is a Thursday... And Verizon always releases new phones on a Thursday...
:p

My D1 isn't too bad. But not that good. I don't even dare update any aps. Well a few. But I have a ton to update and I don't dare. The factory reset I did about a month ago helped (my calls were going straight to voice mail) so I had to download some apps I use most often and leave most of the fun ones off...

I also find it interesting how droid_life.com is wrong alot. The only time they get it right is when they spray the date on the calender with buck shot and read off the dates they hit. i mean they have no pictures, yet the entire internet is a buzz with there predictions. Now it probably is the 9th it just makes sense. Yet they were the ones that started the 2/2/12 date. Verizon does try to release the phones at least two weeks apart, and its after superbowl so they actually have something new to put in there ads. I still would take there date with a grain of salt

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
i also find it interesting how droid_life.com is wrong alot the only time they get it right is when they spray the date the calender with buck shot and read off the dates. i mean they have no pictures no nothing yet the entire internet is a buzz with there predictions. now it probably is the ninth it just makes sense but they were the ones that started the 2/2/12 date. the ninth does make sense they try to release the phones at least two weeks apart, its after superbowl so they actually have something new to put in there ads. i still take there date with a grain of salt

I noticed they didn't have any pictures or anthing. But yes the 9th does look valid. But like you said taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
Droid Life has lost all credibility in my opinion. Between the D4 and the Galaxy Nexus they've leaked probably half a dozen inaccurate release dates.

I'll believe it when I see it at this point...and with a pentile screen and no ICS, $199 is comical.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's try to stay on topic and not criticize each other, thanks:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Droid Life has lost all credibility in my opinion. Between the D4 and the Galaxy Nexus they've leaked probably half a dozen inaccurate release dates.

I'll believe it when I see it at this point...and with a pentile screen and no ICS, $199 is comical.

How have they 'lost all credibility?' They're just reporting news/rumors that they hear. It's not their fault Verizon pushed things back and never gave an official release date until the last minute. I guess to make them 'credible' in your eyes...should they just not say anything about a release date, wait until the phone is available in store or on the website and go 'oh...by the way...this phone is now here?!'