The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I thought they put a movie on the R2D2 phone, one of the star wars movies? Guess not... quick look at amazon and it had items related to The Empire Strikes Back.
And I think they've done that before. I believe Avatar was on some phone they were selling and it had just come on DVD. Yep, just googled and found "Vibrant Galaxy S Series Smartphone from T-Mobile" had the movie.

Although I doubt it too.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely will be getting this phone for when I feel like using an amazing keyboard. Miss my DROID 3.. Have it to a friend free of charge cause he only had an LG enV Touch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

TC_Mits

Reaction score
So I still don't understand your reasoning as to that they're waiting to release the D4 until they sell more Razrs...

I'm sorry, I guess I'm too terse. I'm suggesting only that it seems the RAZR hasn't met sales expectations and the delays to this point have been partly, at least, perhaps largely, to hold back a new phone that would compete head to head with it until more of the RAZR inventory sold.

Vzw finally seems to have accepted the reality that it's time to move on. But the long delay is now also likely to adversely affect D4 sales, as well. The release day price of $200 appears to show that it accepts that reality also. EDIT: How often does the 'Maserati' get a price drop?

The very thin plot of the videos centers on the desire to sell large numbers of RAZRs.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I guess I'm too terse. I'm suggesting only that it seems the RAZR hasn't met sales expectations and the delays to this point have been partly, at least, perhaps largely, to hold back a new phone that would compete head to head with it until more of the RAZR inventory sold.

Vzw finally seems to have accepted the reality that it's time to move on. But the long delay is now also likely to adversely affect D4 sales, as well. The release day price of $200 appears to show that it accepts that reality also.

The very thin plot of the videos centers on the desire to sell large numbers of RAZRs.

( By DX w/DF app. )

they really should have released the droid 4 with the razr that way there is a slider and candy bar phone

TC_Mits

Reaction score
they really should have released the droid 4 with the razr that way there is a slider and candy bar phone

Which would have avoided the mystique of "newer" on either damping sales of the other, yes.

But. That might have too clearly exposed the selling power of KBs.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

JCDenton771

Reaction score
If they were worried about selling the razr why would they add to the inventory by releasing four additional models? The delays could hint at remaining Droid 3 stock

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
If they were worried about selling the razr why would they add to the inventory by releasing four additional models? The delays could hint at remaining Droid 3 stock

That would be my guess as well. If you are VZW and you have a bunch of D3 stock in inventory, you don't want to have to liquidate the D3 stock if you can hold off releasing the D4. VZW controls the release of the D4, so they can wait until D3 stock is drawn down.

EdselDroid

Reaction score
So... Just throwing it out there, but since they keep delaying the D4... do you think it will come out with ICS pre-installed on it? I would hope that's what they are keepig us waiting for.

Doubt it, load Motorola's product page for the Droid 4 (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...Mobile-Phones/DROID4-BY-MOTOROLA-US-EN#anchor), scroll down and click the big red "More" button, the only thing that is added is the following text under Android ICS graphic: "ANDROID 4.0 (ICS) UPGRADEABLE: WE ALL SCREAM! Ice cream is cool. Ice Cream Sandwich is HOT. Needless to say, DROID 4 is Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) upgradeable. You can find all the latest software upgrade news in our Motorola Support Forums."

-ED

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Doubt it, load Motorola's product page for the Droid 4 (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...Mobile-Phones/DROID4-BY-MOTOROLA-US-EN#anchor), scroll down and click the big red "More" button, the only thing that is added is the following text under Android ICS graphic: "ANDROID 4.0 (ICS) UPGRADEABLE: WE ALL SCREAM! Ice cream is cool. Ice Cream Sandwich is HOT. Needless to say, DROID 4 is Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) upgradeable. You can find all the latest software upgrade news in our Motorola Support Forums."

-ED

To say it is upgradable is not quite the same as saying that it *will* be upgraded. More Orwellian Newspeak. It probably will, but it's just like the vzw non-promise about the D4's global capabilities. Seems the lady in red has some commitment issues.

Forget the $200, I'd like some solid commitment from Moto &vzw before I commit to a $2500 two-year contract.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
That would be my guess as well. If you are VZW and you have a bunch of D3 stock in inventory, you don't want to have to liquidate the D3 stock if you can hold off releasing the D4. VZW controls the release of the D4, so they can wait until D3 stock is drawn down.

Makes sense. Could be both. But either way, let's hope that, on top of all the unanswered questions, the D4 doesn't also have unresolved bugs and glitches holding up progress. 'Cuz remember, that's how the delays were being rationalized here back in December. I still don't buy that.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Reaction score
To say it is upgradable is not quite the same as saying that it *will* be upgraded. More Orwellian Newspeak. It probably will, but it's just like the vzw non-promise about the D4's global capabilities. Seems the lady in red has some commitment issues.

Forget the $200, I'd like some solid commitment from Moto &vzw before I commit to a $2500 two-year contract.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Actually upgradeable simply means the user will have the ability to upgrade to ics . The user will have the option to run the upgrade or stay on gb just like every upgrade.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Actually upgradeable simply means the user will have the ability to upgrade to ics . The user will have the option to run the upgrade or stay on gb just like every upgrade.

That is one valid interpretation, yes.
But, it would be just as valid, according to English usage, to say it refers to the handset itself, so that it would then imply that -- IF an upgrade is made available -- the user would then be able to upgrade his D4. Ambiguous -- both understandings could apply.

I have not yet seen any explicit guarantee direct from vzw or Moto that the D4 *will* get ICS.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
That is one valid interpretation, yes.
But, it would be just as valid, according to English usage, to say it refers to the handset itself, so that it would then imply that -- IF an upgrade is made available -- the user would then be able to upgrade his D4. Ambiguous -- both understandings could apply.

( By DX w/DF app. )

well considering they already have ics builds for the razr made by motorola i am thinking that they will have it for the droid 4 they are very similar devices

TC_Mits

Reaction score
well considering they already have ics builds for the razr made by motorola i am thinking that they will have it for the droid 4 they are very similar devices

Again, makes good sense. But a lot of the leaks we've seen since October made sense. I'll wait and see.

( By DX w/DF app. )

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Again, makes good sense. But a lot of the leaks we've seen since October made sense. I'll wait and see.

( By DX w/DF app. )
i kinda wonder if google has some back door contract stating no phone could get ics for so many weeks and may be why droid 4 didnt launch with it def makes the gnex seem far superior.