The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

jjhiza

Reaction score
Getting the D3 on Thursday, and I have to say, I'm excited. I've had my Droid for the longest time, running Chevy's SS 5.4 now and I love it, but the power button has gotten "soft" on me, and I'm not going to pay $100 to get a refurb. I got a chance to play with the phone today (it won't be released here, in Jersey until Thursday), and my first impression was positive. Loved the new keyboard layout, loved the speed and responsiveness, hated Blur (easily rectified with LPP), and liked the fact that it has HDMI, two cameras, etc. The XDA threads are up, and I'm going to be aggressively trying to convince some of the devs to get cracking on the bootloader (since, word is, Motorola will only offer the unlock feature as an optional OTA, sometime in late Q4). I don't need ROMs atm, but being able to run wireless tether would be a massive bonus! Hopefully, the Liquid team, Cyanogen, and Chevy (along with others) will cook something up once we get root and cwm! I'm sad to be putting the 'ol girl (OG Droid) to sleep, but I can't wait to get the D3 home! dancedroid

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Got mine today... haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet.

Tried to pull Google News and Weather from my D2G using Appkik. Copied the .apk to the D3 and it starts to install, but then says "! Application not installed" and give no detail about why it fails. All the other apps I copied with Appkik installed just fine.

Installed the D1 text messaging app, because I like it better, and it worked great except that I got every text twice... lol. Maybe I'll try something else.

If anyone wants to take a swing at the News and Weather app... I'll be happy to email it out, just pm me.

Weird, I installed the GenieWidget.apk just fine (News & Weather app) on my D3 using one I had pulled from somewhere.

As for the duplicate text messages, have you gone in to the stock message app an disabled notifications in it so that only one of the messaging apps is notifying you?

i4mt3hwin

Reaction score
Got mine today... haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet.

Tried to pull Google News and Weather from my D2G using Appkik. Copied the .apk to the D3 and it starts to install, but then says "! Application not installed" and give no detail about why it fails. All the other apps I copied with Appkik installed just fine.

Installed the D1 text messaging app, because I like it better, and it worked great except that I got every text twice... lol. Maybe I'll try something else.

If anyone wants to take a swing at the News and Weather app... I'll be happy to email it out, just pm me.

Weird, I installed the GenieWidget.apk just fine (News & Weather app) on my D3 using one I had pulled from somewhere.

As for the duplicate text messages, have you gone in to the stock message app an disabled notifications in it so that only one of the messaging apps is notifying you?

Do you mind uploading the geniewidget somewhere? My pulled one fails too =(

baaldemon

Reaction score
Thanks for the geniewidget, I had pulled the apk from my D1 as well as another site and it would simply just force close, but this one actually works. Thank you I was missing that app

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday and havent put it down yet! I threw my TB in the draw with my og and dx.
The first thing I had to check out was if I could see the screen while I was outside, and I am totally amazed that I didnt have to squint at all to see it! I am also impressed with the camera.

I am very happy that moto has finally created the perfect kb. I havent made a typo with it yet!

It is looking like I will have to get an extended battery, but its no where near as bad as my TB was.

I give this baby a huge thumbs up!!! :heart:

i4mt3hwin

Reaction score
Do you mind uploading the geniewidget somewhere? My pulled one fails too =(

Here you go..

http://android.snkbitten.com/apps/GenieWidget.apk

Thanks man, I don't know what the difference is as it reports the same verison number when installed, but yours works and mine doesn't. The messaging app does suck, maybe I should replace that too. Im really liking this phone atm, despite the crap verizon installed with it. My droid 1 overclocked to 1.1ghz doesn't even begin to touch the speed of this thing.

Droidrage729

Reaction score
I mine came in yesterday and I have to say this is a great device. Im coming from a dx and am loving this physical keyboard. The pintile screen was kinda weird but after using it for a while it kinda goes away if that makes sense. By no means is the screen bad in any way just diffrent. Blazing fast and love the gb version. It is smooth with some added eye candy. Honestly its a good upgrade from any verizon phone. We will pretend the d2 never happened and call the d3 the new g droid.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

Oh...thanks for this suggestion. I pulled the Mms.apk from the ROM I compiled for the original Droid (SnkBitten) and installed it. Thanks!
(Dark or Light background, Multiple vibrate patterns, LED Color choices).

jmdale1984

Reaction score

You have to disable notifications on the stock messaging app.

Brandon

Oh...thanks for this suggestion. I pulled the Mms.apk from the ROM I compiled for the original Droid (SnkBitten) and installed it. Thanks!
(Dark or Light background, Multiple vibrate patterns, LED Color choices).

You're welcome. I did disable notifications from the Blur text messaging app, but that did not solve the problem. Everytime I received a text, it would notify me that I have 2 unread messages, one of which would have the correct timestamp, and the other would have a timestamp from 6 hours prior (while looking at it from the D1 app).

Now that I'm looking at it from the blur app, all the messages are still doubled, but they all have the correct timestamp. I uninstalled the D1 app last night.

Idk... wierd.

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Try turning off "auto retrieve" in the stock Text Messaging app.

Thanks, but I tried it, and it didn't help. It may be the app I'm using. I'm pretty sure it's the D1 app, but I pulled it from my D2G w/Hexen ROM. It was the included app with the ROM.