The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

jmdale1984

Reaction score
If you're thinking of doing an insurance claim, then shame on you. People that rip off the insurance like that are the reason the prices on claims go up. =/

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

How would that be ripping off the insurance?

He pays to have his phone insured against mishaps, like the one he just had, and now he needs to use his insurance to cover replacing his phone because of his mishap.

Is it ripping off my insurance company to have my car repaired after a wreck?

He clearly said he "threw" his phone on the floor...which implies he did it purposely.

He also went on to say that it was a "perfectly timed accident". :)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
How would that be ripping off the insurance?

He pays to have his phone insured against mishaps, like the one he just had, and now he needs to use his insurance to cover replacing his phone because of his mishap.

Is it ripping off my insurance company to have my car repaired after a wreck?

He clearly said he "threw" his phone on the floor...which implies he did it purposely.

He also went on to say that it was a "perfectly timed accident". :)

Right, but just the way he said it. And also, it reminded me of the time almost all the droid community ripped off asurion by "breaking" or "losing" there device when they found out they were sending out the droid 2 instead of the droid 1. Seeing they had a chance to get a free upgrade.

everstar80

Reaction score
So far I am really enjoying the device. Its smooth, no lag time, no overheated battery with heavy use and battery life that lasts longer than 8hrs when in use. The screen is crisp and clear, nowhere near as bad as some were projecting as far as the pixels and I have good vision. Gingerbread is nice and the MOTOBLUR is not bad, of course I want all vcast and blockbuster completely off I just hide them with my home replacement. Plenty of ram to spare with all of my apps so I am really satisfied with the outcome of this device so far.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I got mine Saturday, been enjoying it so far.

I upgraded from the Motorola Droid running my own SnkBitten AOSP compiled ROM to the Droid 3 primarily wanting a bigger screen, more memory, a faster CPU and still having a slide-out keyboard.

I gave Moto-blur home screens a day of use then switched over the Launcher Pro. I've been using LP since it came out so feel much more comfortable with it and prefer some of the additions it brings (assignable dock apps, LP Widgets, etc.).

Overall the phone is a very big improvement over the Motorola Droid. Faster, more app storage space, better camera, etc... like what most others have mentioned.

My only gripe is not having root. I have a few apps that require root and of course would also like to remove some of the bloatware Verizon added in their lack of wisdom.

Oh wait..one more gripe. Lack of accessories, though that should resolve itself shortly. I used a clip case for the Droid and want one for the Droid 3. All I see for something similar also uses a body-glove around the phone which I don't care for (and making a naked phone not fit in the clip).

I had an early upgrade price of $149 so went for it. Not regretting it at all. My Droid was awesome, hoping the Droid 3 continues that awesome trend.

i4mt3hwin

Reaction score
I got mine Saturday, been enjoying it so far.

I upgraded from the Motorola Droid running my own SnkBitten AOSP compiled ROM to the Droid 3 primarily wanting a bigger screen, more memory, a faster CPU and still having a slide-out keyboard.

I gave Moto-blur home screens a day of use then switched over the Launcher Pro. I've been using LP since it came out so feel much more comfortable with it and prefer some of the additions it brings (assignable dock apps, LP Widgets, etc.).

Overall the phone is a very big improvement over the Motorola Droid. Faster, more app storage space, better camera, etc... like what most others have mentioned.

My only gripe is not having root. I have a few apps that require root and of course would also like to remove some of the bloatware Verizon added in their lack of wisdom.

Oh wait..one more gripe. Lack of accessories, though that should resolve itself shortly. I used a clip case for the Droid and want one for the Droid 3. All I see for something similar also uses a body-glove around the phone which I don't care for (and making a naked phone not fit in the clip).

I had an early upgrade price of $149 so went for it. Not regretting it at all. My Droid was awesome, hoping the Droid 3 continues that awesome trend.

At least Devs like you are picking it up. Once this thing gets rooted and custom roms can be installed it will be a sweet phone to play around with. Hopefully it uses the same system that the Droid 2 uses.

Unfortunately, there isn't even a forum up for the phone over at XDA =(

TyrantII

Reaction score
Mine is arriving tomorrow... and guess what I just did?

Yup, threw my OGD on the floor. Now the screen is unresponsive. It boots, I can see the lock screen, but touch doesn't work. Oops.

A perfectly timed accident. I do feel bad for the old thing though. Saw me through some good times.

Heh, same thing happened to me yesterday at a pool deck....

11+-+1

Been dropped 999 times, but it's that 1/1000 where it hit perfectly flat on it's face. Pretty sure there were small pebbles where the spiderwebs start that caused pressure points, and the gorilla glass shatters like, well, glass. Funny enough, it was only dropped from 2 feet this time. No insurance too.

The timing is anything but impeccable though with the D3 and Bionic coming out (And I'm up for a NE2 8/14!). I'm thinking of preforming surgery on her and replacing the screen digitizer, since the LCD is intact. Least then I can sell her and recoup a little of the upgrade costs.

Last edited:

baaldemon

Reaction score
Got mine on Saturday (minor gripe about fedex the phone was shipped on Thursday and I wasn't home on friday, why did I have to go to your depot on Saturday to pick it up, UPS would have tried again on Saturday.

I've used it a little and I may be sending it back. First though what I really like about this phone over the Droid 1.

- Keyboard is awesome, dont understand why verizon ia getting away from phones with a pk.
- Speed, the old Droid was starting to show its age, even when overclocked.
- Size, I thought the phone itself was going to be too big but I like the size of this phone.
- Camera, its so much better than the Droid1

What's wrong with the phone
- Locked Bootloader I want to be able to use my device as I want and install AOSP
- Motoblur is just horrible
- Bloatware is crazy compared to the original Droid. I understand they get money from this crap but it need to be uninstallable just like on a pc
- I don't like the new gallery, contacts, Alarm/Clock, or calendar apps. Its just a personal opinion but I hate the versions they include
- Skype not using the front facing camera is just stupid.
- Battery gets really hot without much going on. I was listening to iheartradio on my way to work, and the phone got extremely hot in my pocket, Can't say much about the battery life yet.

Those are my thoughts so far on the device. Gonna use it for this week and then may send it back.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
What's wrong with the phone

- Motoblur is just horrible
- Bloatware is crazy compared to the original Droid. I understand they get money from this crap but it need to be uninstallable just like on a pc
- I don't like the new gallery, contacts, Alarm/Clock, or calendar apps. Its just a personal opinion but I hate the versions they include

A few things to help those...

Install Launcher Pro, it makes blur less noticeable. You an also hide the bloatware from showing in your app drawer (though it's still there).
I don't like the new Gallery either so I installed the Gallery 3d app that Woodyman posted. I use the launcher pro (paid) LP widgets so I have a nice calendar widget/access to google calendar.

Contacts haven't bothered me and I don't use the Alarm Clock.

dtdlurch

Reaction score
Decided to take the plunge and will be picking this up Saturday morning at the latest.

I've actually grown to appreciate majority of MOTOBLUR. The Verizon added bloatware will suck having to deal with but im confident we will see root soon. *fingers crossed*

The screen issue kinda worried me at first but, after much thought, it certainly isn't bad enough to outweigh the benefit of the physical keyboard. Plus, a screen I can see in sunlight!? Plus possible battery saving!? I can deal with occasional spotty pixelation for these benefits.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

mattbooty

Reaction score
You an also hide the bloatware from showing in your app drawer (though it's still there).

Can you explain how to do that? That would be nice for keeping hte app drawer a little more streamlined.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You an also hide the bloatware from showing in your app drawer (though it's still there).

Can you explain how to do that? That would be nice for keeping hte app drawer a little more streamlined.

It's a feature of Launcher Pro. Download and install Launcher Pro from the Market, it will automatically become your default Home Screen/Launcher.

Set your home screens up the way you normally would for use. To hide apps from the drawer, on your home screen..

Menu/Preferences/General Settings/Hidden Apps

Select the apps you don't want to show and then click Save. Those apps are no longer visible in the App Drawer.

I don't see the VCast crap, VZNavigator, Mobile Hotspot, etc.... definitely makes the app drawer cleaner.

darkmatter

Reaction score
GO launcher does that too. You can also put folders in the app drawer.

neilrl79

Reaction score

It's a feature of Launcher Pro. Download and install Launcher Pro from the Market, it will automatically become your default Home Screen/Launcher.

Set your home screens up the way you normally would for use. To hide apps from the drawer, on your home screen..

Menu/Preferences/General Settings/Hidden Apps

Select the apps you don't want to show and then click Save. Those apps are no longer visible in the App Drawer.

I don't see the VCast crap, VZNavigator, Mobile Hotspot, etc.... definitely makes the app drawer cleaner.

You can do this with the stock launcher as well. While in the app drawer there is an icon in the upper left hand corner, with it you can select grouping. I created a group that i named "My Apps" and put only the apps i want to show in it. Now when i open the app drawer it opens "My Apps" instead of all apps.

bplewis24

Reaction score
And also, it reminded me of the time almost all the droid community ripped off asurion by "breaking" or "losing" there device when they found out they were sending out the droid 2 instead of the droid 1. Seeing they had a chance to get a free upgrade.

I didn't know this happened, but anyway the joke would be on them. That wasn't much of an upgrade and I bet a few of them were wishing they had the OG back.

Regarding bloatware: I understand a third-party launcher gets rid of it cosmetically, but what about any bloatware that actively and aggressively runs background processes?

What are the options to remove that stuff? I'm coming from an OG D1, so I don't have experience with bloatware. Is rooting enough to uninstall specific bloatware, or is it more complicated than that?

Brandon