Simple App Idea, not much experience

Oscady

Reaction score
Hello

I've not much experience in Java and none in Android Apps specifically. Was wondering if someone could give me a hint or two on an App I'd like.

I basically just want my phone to sigh every now and then, not on a specific timer or anything but just to give a little sigh when it feels like it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for someone who knows what they're doing. I'd just like to know how much I'd need to know about what I was doing to put it together.

Any tips?

Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that would be totally useless but I would download it! sadly, i do not have any java knowledge either.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Useless maybe but it would give your phone a bit of personality. Could maybe even stretch to sighing a little more the more you ignore it.

I think people would go for it, hopefully someone can give me a hand with it

mattman5000

Reaction score
Haha, I like the idea. Yeah that should be a fairly straightforward app. I haven't done any "real" Android development yet, but I did spend some time learning about it. The app could set a system timer to wake up the phone at some random time interval in the future. When the timer expires, the phone (and the app) would wake up. The app would then play a prerecorded sigh sound (or maybe pick from a set of several different versions of the sigh sound). After playing the sound file, set another timer and repeat.

Are you looking to get started in Android development? Or do you just want the app? I've been trying to think of something easy to create as my "first app". Your app idea sounds interesting. So if you just want the app, I'd be willing to give it a try.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Haha, I like the idea. Yeah that should be a fairly straightforward app. I haven't done any "real" Android development yet, but I did spend some time learning about it. The app could set a system timer to wake up the phone at some random time interval in the future. When the timer expires, the phone (and the app) would wake up. The app would then play a prerecorded sigh sound (or maybe pick from a set of several different versions of the sigh sound). After playing the sound file, set another timer and repeat.

Are you looking to get started in Android development? Or do you just want the app? I've been trying to think of something easy to create as my "first app". Your app idea sounds interesting. So if you just want the app, I'd be willing to give it a try.

I've no real desire to get into developing to be frank. i've just had this in my head for a while. if you feel up to it i'd be forever gratefull if you managed to pull it off.

The plan is to first of all make my phone sigh every now and then. then set my text notification to a really sarcastic "yayy". i don't know why exactly but it just seems like what should happen. do you reckon you could do it? i think people might evwn pay for that, not a lot mind but still

mattman5000

Reaction score
Yeah I could do it. I won't make any promises about a timeline though. I'm busy at work right now. I'm a software developer, but not for Android. I don't expect this will take all that much effort once I get going.

Like I said before I have been looking for something to get me motivated to start writing apps. At least this app has one guaranteed user :biggrin:

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Mate if you can pull this off you'll be my hero... and when google are offering you big bucks to come up with the "next" sighing app i'd have no problems with you telling them you came up with the idea.

I see no limit to thiss app really. whethrr its a sigh for low memory or an annoyed grunt when someone not on your preffered contact list tries to get in touch with you, it's going to lag up even the best of servers when it hits the street

xksoftwaredev

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you want it to just randomly sigh here is what I would suggest. A "sigh" will probably consist of just a small audio file, so check out the SoundPool class. Make your project a single activity. Use Java's Random class and call nextInt(). Pass in the max number of seconds that you want sighs to occur between and multiply it by 1000. Use Thread.sleep(time that the random generated) to cause a delay. After that call, call your SoundPool's play() method. Do all of this in another thread with an infinite loop.

This would be an easy approach to solving your problem. You could probably do it in a single activity. Hope that helped.

bilalasd

Reaction score
LMAO! I know im pretty late but did anyone make this yet? if not then I can give it a go... this seems fairly easy!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think you should give it a go because it doesn't look like anyone took it on yet (or if they did, they certainly didn't post that it was done)... and because I think the idea is hilarious!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

rescue9

Reaction score
I'm very interested in his. I'm curious if anyone has started this project? If so, a guthub project for multiple devs to work on would be cool. If not, I might start one in a week or so. I've completed a couple apps, but am still in the process of learning and needed a thought... this one seems right up my alley.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums, Rescue9! I think this app idea sounds fun and although there have been a few offers to develop it, it doesn't look like that has happened yet. I think it is free game for you to experiment with. Have fun with it!

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
I've not had any luck getting the programme mentioned but a friend of mine has just made a couple and I'm just going to make a few WAVs and give him them with a few instructions. I'll let you know how it goes. Could be a big time money spinner this

rescue9

Reaction score
Project Started

I've created a project, though currently it's just a 'shell', and uploaded it to Github. I'll likely refine the way things are laid out when I have a bit more time as work today has been hectic. All here are encouranged to participate if you want. I'm still learning git, like everything else, so it might take me a while to get comfortable with pull requests and such. I do intend on ysing a 'git flow' style of development, and will save the master branch for Release versions only. you can find more informaion here: A successful Git branching model » nvie.com & Why aren't you using git-flow? - Jeff Kreeftmeijer

The project is here : https://github.com/Rescue9/Lonely-Android

Thanks for the wonderful idea... it's a good second project for me to work on. Bear in mind... while it might take some a day to bang out something like this, don't expect me to work very fast. As mentioned..... this is my second 'production quality' app.