Simple App Idea, not much experience

Discussion in 'Android App Developers' started by Oscady, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Oscady

Oscady New Member

I love it that the idea has got a few people going. Quite surprised really but still very hopeful someone can make it happen. It has to happen eventually. I lost my phone since starting this thread but I've got a replacement now (no thanks to insurance) and I'm back wishing my phone would sigh every now and then. Keep it up and I'll keep believing in a brighter, more emotive world for me and my phone
  2. coolmint

coolmint New Member

hi guys I found this thread a few weeks ago when I was googling around for ideas to use as my first Android app. I completed my take on it this week and have uploaded the app to Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bullant.co.uk.app01.grumblebot01

The app is called Grumblebot and will randomly play a sigh within the duration you set. So if someone wants to give it a go, let me know what you think :D
  3. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Wow, that is really cool, coolmint! This idea has been kicking around for a while. I think I'm going to try it out. I hope the OP notices this. I think he will be thrilled that sometime gave it a go.
  4. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Darn, its not compatible with this phone (RAZR M). I will try it on my Maxx.
  5. coolmint

coolmint New Member

ah right, I set the build platform to the latest version (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ), so I hope that wasn't too restrictive?
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

It may be. My phones are still ICS and will be for a little while I'm sure. Not too many phones have jellybean yet...even though it seems jellybean apps should work on ICS.
  7. Oscady

Oscady New Member

Great news lad you're a hero. Unfortunately I'm on an s2 and I believe we're waiting till November for the update. Still fantastic work. Does it have the option to add your own sounds. So much potential with this app I can't wait to try it. Might see if any pals are on jelly.
  8. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I wonder if it would work on ICS. Is there anyone you know who has ICS that you can ask them to try it to see if it works? I'm thinking if going into the play store and changing my device to a jellybean phone to see if it will work.
  9. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

So glad you noticed this. I think it is a funny idea and would love to try it out in the midst of my co-workers when no one is paying attention and then wondering where its coming from.
  10. DevilDogMP

DevilDogMP Active Member

That would be a pretty snazzy app! I would get it.
  11. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Guess you can't manually change your device on google play anymore. If the app works on 4.0 (ICS), then you could change the 4.1 restriction on google play to include ICS. Then we can all start having fun with it.
  12. coolmint

coolmint New Member

ok I'll look into downgrading it to ICS 4.0, I'm new to Android phones in general and had naively assumed every device would be up-to-date :biggrin:

the sounds effects are hard coded, but I might consider changing it to load from file
  13. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Well coolmint, I think that is pretty impressive that you took on this project and even more impressive that you are fairly new to Android. Hats off to you.
  14. rescue9

rescue9 New Member

If you're using Eclipse to develop in, then you just need to change the API that you're building against and recompile. Eclipse will let you know if you've used any code that is incompatible with a previous API.

I'd really like to see the source code that you've used. It appears from your screencaps that you are using the same method I started with, but I couldn't get the randomness correct without writing my own method (API issue as I was building against Gingerbread API for a wider distribution). Would you mind creating a Github and uploading your source there please. I'm very interested in your randomization method.
  15. coolmint

coolmint New Member

yep I'll make the changes and such when I get a chance in the next few days, and I'll upload the source code to the web too for those interested

cheers :D
  16. rescue9

rescue9 New Member

Sounds great. Can you upload the code prior to making the API changes. This way, if anything breaks at least we have the original code to reference in addition the the necessary changes to backport.

Good job mate!
  17. omar908

omar908 New Member

18. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I get an error "there is a problem parsing the package." Any ideas on a workaround.
  19. coolmint

coolmint New Member

20. Oscady

Oscady New Member

Just downloaded it and I'm waiting for my first one now with a nice cup of tea. Very excited. Would be fantastic if you could put your own sigh in there, maybe for version 1.1, not sure how difficult that would be. Ill let you know how it goes
Search tags for this page

android app ideas

android app ideas 2012
android app ideas for beginners
beginner android app ideas
easy android app ideas

easy app ideas

simple android app idea

simple android app ideas

simple android app ideas for beginners
simple android apps ideas
simple app idea