Simple App Idea, not much experience

rescue9

Reaction score
Still waiting on some support for this. I've setup the base classes and started implementation on the timer method, but am having trouble with the repeating function right now. It fires..... but its very random. I need to get it firing on a regular basis so I can program in the randomness. I know.... sounds wierd , but its necessary for he setup I'm designing.

Feel free to get the Git and submit a pull request! Hint hint.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

rescue9

Reaction score
Well.... setInexactRepeating wasn't inexact enough. I had to rewrite the randomization method. Problem now though is that I have to manually set the service to fire at those random intervals each time. Because of this... I have to find out some way to 'catch' the event so I can reset the random number each time without having to implement a wake lock.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

rescue9

Reaction score
I need to put this project on hold a couple of months or so. I've a big project that I need to devote 100% of free time to. I'll keep an eye on the github though for pull requests.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the update rescue. Good to know. Good luck on your project.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

rescue9

Reaction score
Still have not forgotten this. Everytime I need something fro Github I'm reminded of this project. I'm hoping by the end of November that I can come back and start on this again. Likely going ot have to rewrite it from scratch though as some of the information I've learned over the past few months has given me more insight into a possible solution.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
I love it that the idea has got a few people going. Quite surprised really but still very hopeful someone can make it happen. It has to happen eventually. I lost my phone since starting this thread but I've got a replacement now (no thanks to insurance) and I'm back wishing my phone would sigh every now and then. Keep it up and I'll keep believing in a brighter, more emotive world for me and my phone

coolmint

Reaction score
hi guys I found this thread a few weeks ago when I was googling around for ideas to use as my first Android app. I completed my take on it this week and have uploaded the app to Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bullant.co.uk.app01.grumblebot01

The app is called Grumblebot and will randomly play a sigh within the duration you set. So if someone wants to give it a go, let me know what you think :D

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, that is really cool, coolmint! This idea has been kicking around for a while. I think I'm going to try it out. I hope the OP notices this. I think he will be thrilled that sometime gave it a go.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Darn, its not compatible with this phone (RAZR M). I will try it on my Maxx.

coolmint

Reaction score
ah right, I set the build platform to the latest version (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ), so I hope that wasn't too restrictive?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It may be. My phones are still ICS and will be for a little while I'm sure. Not too many phones have jellybean yet...even though it seems jellybean apps should work on ICS.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Great news lad you're a hero. Unfortunately I'm on an s2 and I believe we're waiting till November for the update. Still fantastic work. Does it have the option to add your own sounds. So much potential with this app I can't wait to try it. Might see if any pals are on jelly.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
coolmint said:
ah right, I set the build platform to the latest version (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ), so I hope that wasn't too restrictive?

I wonder if it would work on ICS. Is there anyone you know who has ICS that you can ask them to try it to see if it works? I'm thinking if going into the play store and changing my device to a jellybean phone to see if it will work.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oscady said:
Great news lad you're a hero. Unfortunately I'm on an s2 and I believe we're waiting till November for the update. Still fantastic work. Does it have the option to add your own sounds. So much potential with this app I can't wait to try it. Might see if any pals are on jelly.

So glad you noticed this. I think it is a funny idea and would love to try it out in the midst of my co-workers when no one is paying attention and then wondering where its coming from.