Need help with simple "Spinner" used to play selected looped audio

Minaris

Reaction score
Ok.. I THINK what I am trying to accomplish here is pretty easy (when compared to the complexities that can exist in most coding environments).

Basically what I am trying to do is this:

I want a spinner box (Selection Box) where the user can select one of the many different .wav file options, then press a start button to begin playing that specific audio file, as well as be able to press a stop button to stop it (obviously).

I have read over some of the droid developers tutorials, and even found/downloaded some Java sample of how to include audio in Java.. however, I have no experience in Java, and beyond knowing how to actually create the Spinner (which I have done).. I don't know much else.

What I need is some way to associate the specific audio files with each option in the spinner, and play those specific files when the Start (or Play) button is pressed. If it continuously loops that is fine, but an option to choose whether or not to loop would also be a nice addition.

I'm not necessarily asking for someone to design this for me.. but if anyone has any tips as to where to start or what I should do.. or even where I should READ to find the specific answers to these queries, I would be very appreciative.

The closest thing I can relate it to is the ability to select ringtones. When selecting a ringtone, you click the option in the Spinner and it demos (or plays) the audio file for you, as well as allows you to select it with an OK button. Something along those lines would be nice, but it would also require the ability to play the selection on demand by pressing the button to start it.

I have a heavy background in CSS, XHTML, Web Design etc.. but have little to no experience with Java (outside what I have learned through reading the developers tutorials so far).

Who feels like taking a swing at this seemingly impossible task and helping me figure out heads from tails?