Simple App Idea, not much experience

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Guess you can't manually change your device on google play anymore. If the app works on 4.0 (ICS), then you could change the 4.1 restriction on google play to include ICS. Then we can all start having fun with it.

coolmint

Reaction score
ok I'll look into downgrading it to ICS 4.0, I'm new to Android phones in general and had naively assumed every device would be up-to-date :biggrin:

Does it have the option to add your own sounds.

the sounds effects are hard coded, but I might consider changing it to load from file

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
coolmint said:
ok I'll look into downgrading it to ICS 4.0, I'm new to Android phones in general and had naively assumed every device would be up-to-date :biggrin:

the sounds effects are hard coded, but I might consider changing it to load from file

Well coolmint, I think that is pretty impressive that you took on this project and even more impressive that you are fairly new to Android. Hats off to you.

rescue9

Reaction score
If you're using Eclipse to develop in, then you just need to change the API that you're building against and recompile. Eclipse will let you know if you've used any code that is incompatible with a previous API.

I'd really like to see the source code that you've used. It appears from your screencaps that you are using the same method I started with, but I couldn't get the randomness correct without writing my own method (API issue as I was building against Gingerbread API for a wider distribution). Would you mind creating a Github and uploading your source there please. I'm very interested in your randomization method.

coolmint

Reaction score
yep I'll make the changes and such when I get a chance in the next few days, and I'll upload the source code to the web too for those interested

Well coolmint, I think that is pretty impressive that you took on this project and even more impressive that you are fairly new to Android. Hats off to you.

cheers :D

rescue9

Reaction score
yep I'll make the changes and such when I get a chance in the next few days, and I'll upload the source code to the web too for those interested

Sounds great. Can you upload the code prior to making the API changes. This way, if anything breaks at least we have the original code to reference in addition the the necessary changes to backport.

Good job mate!

omar908

Reaction score
I uploaded the apk in 4shared for the ics users to try out :) hopefully thats ok :/

http://www.***********/android/Rr87jbSW/Grumblebot.html

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I get an error "there is a problem parsing the package." Any ideas on a workaround.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Just downloaded it and I'm waiting for my first one now with a nice cup of tea. Very excited. Would be fantastic if you could put your own sigh in there, maybe for version 1.1, not sure how difficult that would be. Ill let you know how it goes

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Its great mate sterling effort. Love that you can select the time period. Thanks for putting the effort in. Only thing I'd change is the adding your own sound option. Still top class effort

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oscady said:
Its great mate sterling effort. Love that you can select the time period. Thanks for putting the effort in. Only thing I'd change is the adding your own sound option. Still top class effort

I agree and works fine on my ICS RAZR M.

coolmint

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys, I'll look into making a newer version in the future that allows the user to set their own sound effects

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
It was crashed a few times and appears to make my phone act a little strange. Also I meant to ask. Is it set to sigh at some point within the selected time period or on the dot?