Simple App Idea, not much experience

coolmint

Reaction score
source code and associated resource files download:

Download

feel free to ask any questions

It was crashed a few times and appears to make my phone act a little strange. Also I meant to ask. Is it set to sigh at some point within the selected time period or on the dot?

really? hmm was there any error displayed, and was it doing something at the time (like playing the audio) or on idle?

it plays the audio file at a random interval within the set period (or supposed to anyway)

Last edited:
OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
It wasn't doing anything although I'd guess a few apps running in background like browser and watsapp. Probably received a message or two as well. I'm also running golauncher. That seems to make a problem or two. It said "unfortunately, *** has stopped". Can't remember whether it said application or grumblebot

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Also now when I try to download it again it says "problem parsing the package"

coolmint

Reaction score
That error seems to come up a lot on google, have you tried clearing any previous instances of the app before downloading again?

has anyone else had trouble downloading grumblebot from google play?

dmanmatt10

Reaction score
Is anyone gonna do it cause i call dibs if not!
- the only 13y/o programmer you know!

rescue9

Reaction score
Is anyone gonna do it cause i call dibs if not!
- the only 13y/o programmer you know!
Wow.... really! There are 4 other pages of people discussing this. Take a look at those and then hop in somewhere.

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Hey if you fancy throwing your hat into the ring mate go for it. Nothing makes sighing more random than multiple sigh applications. I wouldn't mind having another as well

scox1820

Reaction score
I did it!!! Sort of! :)

Hello

I've not much experience in Java and none in Android Apps specifically. Was wondering if someone could give me a hint or two on an App I'd like.

I basically just want my phone to sigh every now and then, not on a specific timer or anything but just to give a little sigh when it feels like it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for someone who knows what they're doing. I'd just like to know how much I'd need to know about what I was doing to put it together.

Any tips?

Thanks

I just made a simple version of this app. I uploaded it to Google Play, so if anyone wants it, I will edit this post later with the link. Happy programming!!

rescue9

Reaction score
I just made a simple version of this app. I uploaded it to Google Play, so if anyone wants it, I will edit this post later with the link. Happy programming!!
Can you also post the source code. Uplinking it to Github would be even better. I'm curious how you got around the randomization problem I was having.
This looks like it is becoming a very active post. I like it!

scox1820

Reaction score
Basic Version

Can you also post the source code. Uplinking it to Github would be even better. I'm curious how you got around the randomization problem I was having.
This looks like it is becoming a very active post. I like it!

Sadly I haven't gotten past the randomization problem either. I just created the very basic version, and will eventually update when I figure it out. The link to the app on Google Play is
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.randomappsinc.sighingandroid
. I'm glad this is finally becoming active!

rescue9

Reaction score
Sadly I haven't gotten past the randomization problem either. I just created the very basic version, and will eventually update when I figure it out. The link to the app on Google Play is
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.randomappsinc.sighingandroid
. I'm glad this is finally becoming active!

source code... source code... SOURCE CODE! :p

OP
O

Oscady

Reaction score
Nice one for having a crack and it's a shame the randomise feature is causing problem still. 62pence is a bit steep for a prototype though :/

rescue9

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it appears that randomizatin can not be handled by an Android service. A specific service will need to be written. Creating a random service isn't too hard, it's the wake lock issue. Having a service that doesn't require a wake lock is going to be tough.... at least for my skills. I still think we need to work on this as a team and setup a github for everyone to contribute to rather than each individual designing their own version. If we can't solve the randomizstion problem, then it doesn't matter how many personal versions we have floating around.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

scox1820

Reaction score
Nice one for having a crack and it's a shame the randomise feature is causing problem still. 62pence is a bit steep for a prototype though :/

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing today. I have changed the app price to free, and I might offer packs of sighs/sounds to buy within the app. Get the app, and let me know what you think!:biggrin: