SBF to root and to unroot

Darksthour

Reaction score
OK so i have been trying to Get BBv.5 on my droid now for about 3 hours. Each time unsuccessful. I am also new to rooting....i just finally rooted about 5 hours ago. Well so i really like the feedback i have been seeing about bugless beast and a lot of people also seem to use it for their first ROM so i figured i would get this a go. However every time i try to install it using Rom Manager it installs then restarts, shows the fancy droid eye for about a minute. Then it restarts again and just keeps looping on the eye every 10 seconds or so then restarting again. I was wondering if i did something wrong, was that supposed to happen. I haven't heard of anyone saying this before (nor did i honestly feel like going through all 90 pages so i just did a quick reply). This is also my first ROM install so please try not too make too much fun of me. I'm just curious as to whats going on and what to do to fix it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OK so i have been trying to Get BBv.5 on my droid now for about 3 hours. Each time unsuccessful. I am also new to rooting....i just finally rooted about 5 hours ago. Well so i really like the feedback i have been seeing about bugless beast and a lot of people also seem to use it for their first ROM so i figured i would get this a go. However every time i try to install it using Rom Manager it installs then restarts, shows the fancy droid eye for about a minute. Then it restarts again and just keeps looping on the eye every 10 seconds or so then restarting again. I was wondering if i did something wrong, was that supposed to happen. I haven't heard of anyone saying this before (nor did i honestly feel like going through all 90 pages so i just did a quick reply). This is also my first ROM install so please try not too make too much fun of me. I'm just curious as to whats going on and what to do to fix it.
Moving this to PM. Try to keep this thread on topic, folks.

akj04c

Reaction score
I dunno if I missed something, but when I try to go to rescue.macleod-web.net, it tells me 'empty repository object!' and there are no files or folders to look through or download.

So.... What's up with that?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I dunno if I missed something, but when I try to go to rescue.macleod-web.net, it tells me 'empty repository object!' and there are no files or folders to look through or download.

So.... What's up with that?
:welcome: to the forum!

The site might be down for some restructuring. What were you looking for?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes, what are you looking for? Because there are larger droid file collections out there . . . . ;)

wow, 400th

phaze3131

Reaction score

(box option 06) Ok, I can't get RSD Lite to work. Maybe I have a mac, maybe I only run Linux, maybe it just won't run. I need to get to stock 2.2 though. What can I do?
Alternative back to stock (update.zip method):

1. Visit http://rescue.macleod-web.net > navigate to the update_zip_files folder and download the FRG22D_update.zip file
  2. rename the downloaded file by just removing the FRG22D_ part of the file's name.
  3. mount Droid to computer
  4. copy file from computer to root of sdcard
  5. unmount card from computer
  6. hold X while rebooting until SPRecovery screen comes up
  7. install
  8. allow update.zip
  9. install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
You now are on stock 2.2. In this case you are back with the stock recovery tool too, no sign of root at all on the phone.
Once you have it installed, and hold down X and reboot, it will look like the following image:
christim-albums-images-picture1594-sprecovery-entrance-screen.png

edit:
2010.04.25 - added Simple Nandroid Backup for SPRecovery and screenshot of RSD Lite
2010.04.27 - linked to new file repository.
2010.04.29 - added update.zip (non-SBF) method to go back to stock 2.01
2010.07.22 - added sprecovery screenshot
2010.08.15 - added 2.2 warning that you should first go back to 2.01 to root
2010.08.18 - changed warning added on the 15th to include correct order of steps for successful rooting.
2010.08.19 - removed option to install plain rooted version of 2.1 (2.2 is out now) - it is now at post 369 of this thread
2010.08.24 - cut the size of the ese81update.zip file in half...somehow a copy of itself existed in the zip.
2010.09.12 - replaced option 2's ese81update method with the link to MotoCache1's guide. It still remains at post 369 for historical purposes.
2010.09.12 - replaced using unroot_2.1_update.zip in option 6 and have folks grab FRG22D instead.
2010.15.12 - option box 5 - updated instructions to grab FRG22D instead of moto_droid2.01

confirmed this does not work, waste of time

mcalhoun

Reaction score
Unless the file itself is bad it should work. The process seems sound. I may would do a wipe though.

Stealth_tC

Reaction score

(box option 06) Ok, I can't get RSD Lite to work. Maybe I have a mac, maybe I only run Linux, maybe it just won't run. I need to get to stock 2.2 though. What can I do?
Alternative back to stock (update.zip method):

1. Visit http://rescue.macleod-web.net > navigate to the update_zip_files folder and download the FRG22D_update.zip file
  2. rename the downloaded file by just removing the FRG22D_ part of the file's name.
  3. mount Droid to computer
  4. copy file from computer to root of sdcard
  5. unmount card from computer
  6. hold X while rebooting until SPRecovery screen comes up
  7. install
  8. allow update.zip
  9. install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
You now are on stock 2.2. In this case you are back with the stock recovery tool too, no sign of root at all on the phone.
Once you have it installed, and hold down X and reboot, it will look like the following image:

edit:
2010.04.25 - added Simple Nandroid Backup for SPRecovery and screenshot of RSD Lite
2010.08.18 - changed warning added on the 15th to include correct order of steps for successful rooting.
2010.08.19 - removed option to install plain rooted version of 2.1 (2.2 is out now) - it is now at post 369 of this thread
2010.08.24 - cut the size of the ese81update.zip file in half...somehow a copy of itself existed in the zip.
2010.09.12 - replaced option 2's ese81update method with the link to MotoCache1's guide. It still remains at post 369 for historical purposes.
2010.09.12 - replaced using unroot_2.1_update.zip in option 6 and have folks grab FRG22D instead.
2010.15.12 - option box 5 - updated instructions to grab FRG22D instead of moto_droid2.01

I did this step by step, but when I reboot and hold x i get "android system recovery (3e)" not (2e) like the picture shows, and my options are as follows:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe baseband data

and when I click the apply option it reads:

-- install from sdcard --
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

What am I doing wrong, or how do i get it to boot in the SPRecovery??

Please help.
Thanks in advance!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

edit:

I did this step by step, but when I reboot and hold x i get "android system recovery (3e)" not (2e) like the picture shows, and my options are as follows:

reboot system now
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe baseband data

Installation aborted.

Please help.
Thanks in advance!

sounds like maybe you have the update.zip named update.zip.zip. Check the properties of the file and see if that is the issue.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

edit:

reboot system now
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe baseband data

Installation aborted.

Please help.
Thanks in advance!

For some reason it didn't take. Might have to try it again.

Sent from somewhere...

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
Checked the name, and its named update.zip, but thanks! And I deleted it from my sdcard and redid a few times, and still saying the same thing.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I didn't mean the update.zip

You still have stock recovery sprecovery didn't stick....you might need to redo the sbf.

Sent from somewhere...

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
I didn't mean the update.zip

You still have stock recovery sprecovery didn't stick....you might need to redo the sbf.

Sent from somewhere...

oh, i didnt put the sprecovery on it, i dont think.....where do i get that from? Maybe thats whats wrong?