SBF to root and to unroot

quit_killin_me

Reaction score
First thanks for the step by step! Clear and concise. Okay now to the trouble. I rooted last night and used the rom ESE81 created by Pete of Bugless Beast for a stock 2.1, rooted, and OC'ed. The kernel for the oc is a 2.6.29-omap-1 P3Droid 1000mhz. All went (or is) going well except when I go into "settings-accounts & sync". When I go there the phone does a soft reboot? It goes to the Droid screen and reboots. It doesn't matter what clock speeds are set to, it does this JUST at accounts & sync. Everything else has been great! Any Ideas? Thanks either way!!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Try a different kernel. I use chevyno1's but adamz's work well too. I think P3's work best with cyanogenmod.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

quit_killin_me

Reaction score
Alright! using chevyno1-1.0Ghz-OC-5slot, and so far so good. Temps were high (50c) after installing and such, but have come down to a more favorable 28-30c. All seems to be working well. Accounts and sync runs now. Maybe a different app caused the problem, may re install the P3 kernel later today and see if the error comes back again. Now I just need a radiator, a water block & pump, a BIG battery, and a fan to have myself a water cooled backpak phone!!! Thanks again for the fast reply.

To iamnotjohn, If you mean "legit" like, does it really work... then yes, for me anyway. You have to root the phone first. If you mean "legit" like legal, then I don't know...:blink:

edit: P3 kernel reinstalled... all is working. Something wasn't playing nice but It was NOT the p3 kernel. Just wanted to clarify that.

gbouten

Reaction score
I am stuck at RSD Lite. I down loaded it but I cant tell if it's an exe or what. I had no luck downloading the 32 bit drivers it gave me the bar at the top asking me what I wanted to do, I selected download and nothing happens.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Practice what you preach.

I've been networking, fixing computers, and building/hosting servers since the early 1990's so its fair to say I know my way around connectivity, the command prompt, troubleshooting, etc. However, prior to this post I had not flashed even a single sbf file but do understand what its doing. I had RSD Lite installed and always stopped short of hitting the Start button. My phone worked, and I was happy with it. However, I figured if I was going to give advice I should go through the steps too.

Background. I'm on SG 6.0, having installed it less than an hour prior to 6.1 coming out. rooted since mid-feb.

So today the game plan was as follows:

1. Use SPrecovery to create a nandroid backup of my current setup.
  2. Use RSD Lite to flash back to 2.01 stock
  3. OTA update to 2.1
  4. Flash SPRecovery with RSD Lite
  5. Use SPRecovery to get the rooted ESE81 into place.
  6. Next I'll probably look around a bit and then most likely use SPRecovery to restore my SG 6.0 backup I'll make at the start of this exercise.

So here is my play by play with timestamps for reference.

battery 70% Plugged into USB and plan on leaving it plugged in.

1. 3:20pm - power down phone, power phone on while holding X and do a simple nandroid backup of my current setup
  2. 3:24pm backup complete. rebooted phone, held down up on dpad
    rebooted into bootloader app
  3. 3:24pm Start up RSD Lite. Select the 2.01 stock SBF file. The phone says "sw update in progress..." and RSD Lite's progress column shows progress
  4. 3:30pm the phone reboots and I see the Red Droid Eye. It's been blue for me for a long time.
  5. 3:31pm Phone is up and I need to activate it. Try twice it fails. Option is to call in or try for a better signal. I unplug and move to the front yard.
  6. 3:34pm Phone is activated and I have signed into gmail. Gmail is syncing with the phone.
  7. 3:41pm Access to the desktop. Settings/About Phone show Android 2.01. Settings/About Phone/System Updates shows the 2.1 update is 20% downloaded.
  8. 3:46pm 2.1 update is 50% downloaded. Battery level is now at 60%
  9. 3:57pm the update download is complete and now is verifying. The phone gives me an option to Restart and Install. I take it.
  10. 3:58pm Picture of a droid sitting next to a box with an arrow coming out of the box trying to stab the droid. Progress bar below that moving slowly.
  11. 4:01pm Red Eye displays and then fades to DROID!
  12. 4:01pm Settings/about phone = 2.1 update1 and for the first time I am on baseband 3p.
  13. 4:03pm - power down.... press up on dpad and tap the power on button
  14. 4:04pm hit the start button in RSD Lite for SPRecovery for ese81
  15. 4:04pm phone is being rebooted. Much faster for SPRecovery than for 2.01 but SPRecovery is much smaller than the system too, so that's to be expected. If I had thought ahead I could have held in the X key to save some time. So....
  16. 4:05pm power down to get back into sprecovery to flash ese81 rooted rom
  17. 4:05pm Hold down X key, get into SPRecovery and realize the needed file is still on the computer. Reboot again.
  18. 4:07pm back up, mount card, copy file to card, rename file, unmount from computer
  19. 4:09pm shutting down phone
  20. 4:11pm in SPRecovery, flashing Pete's ese81 rooted rom.
  21. 4:27pm sitting at 20%. Worried about battery level. Unplug from PC and plug into the wall. gives me time to type this up from my notes.
  22. 4:36pm noticed screen said e:update.zip install blocked. Hit camera button a few times. Progress bar moved further each time but continued to say blocked. Rebooted battery at 50%
  23. 4:44pm redownload update.zip
  24. 4:45pm shut down phone, reboot holding x. try update.zip again. Keep trying to install, keep getting the same error.
    1. Install from SDcard
      Finding update package...
      Opening update package...
      verifying update package...
      e:update.zip install blocked
      installation aborted
  25. 4:48pm light bulb goes on. Allow update install...DOH :icon_evil:! Important Step #9 in post 1. my bad. wasted almost 45 minutes right there. (4:11 to 4:48)
  26. 4:49pm rebooting
  27. 4:51pm activating phone
  28. 4:55pm phone activated. Did not have to redo contacts and gmail this time. Settings/About Phone/Build Number = ESE81 by Pete. Battery Level 50%.
  29. 4:58pm Started process of naming Advanced Nandroid Backup. Selected everything.
  30. 5:02pm completed backup.
  31. 5:03pm advanced nandroid restore (because I don't want the most recent one I just made 2 minutes ago) and selected the one I made an hour and a half ago. Left default settings taking Boot, Data, and System only.
  32. 5:06pm Rebooted
  33. 5:08pm looked phone over...Smoked Glass is looking good and as I started to suspect due to how I restored I ended up with baseband 3p too = Bonus! Battery at 50%.
Hope this helps someone out. As long as you follow the directions it all works out as expected! (see bullet 25!!!)

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am stuck at RSD Lite. I down loaded it but I cant tell if it's an exe or what. I had no luck downloading the 32 bit drivers it gave me the bar at the top asking me what I wanted to do, I selected download and nothing happens.

The links for the files in post #1 have all been updated. We no longer are using megaupload and the RS team has its own server that was made available to us. RSD Lite was contained within a 7z file, which 7zip can open. 7zip is worth grabbing as it extracts zip, rar and lots of other compressed files. Anyways, RSD Lite is now contained within a zip file due to the 7z confusion. The file within it is a msi installer file so just double click it and install it.

Try grabbing the drivers again, with the new links it should be easier to get them. No punching in codes, waiting X minutes for availability, etc.

soops

Reaction score
usb driver 32 bit or 64 bit?

Christim, I'm gonna try to root with stock rom (yea finally...after 5 mo.) Before I start, I have a basic question...how can I tell which usb driver to install? I'm running XP Home Edition. Thanks

gbouten

Reaction score
I just went through this. Unless you have a 64 but version of XP, Vista, or Windows7 you will use the 32 bit. Very few people are using the a 64 bit software, but there are a few. I myself did not like the performance of Windows7 64 bit and went back to the 32 bit version. Unless you requested the 64 bit version of windows you most likely don't have it.

gbouten

Reaction score
Thanks Chris I was having a heck of a time with the zip as I didn't know it was a zip file. Normally Windows will unzip out of the box without extra add ons. The Driver gave me some problems but I went back and it downloaded just fine.

soops

Reaction score
32 bit driver

gbouten, thanks. yea i figured that was the case. i finally rooted the droid. thanks to christim for putting the guides together. been reading for months & matthew's step by step thread also was a big help for me. i just want to stay with stock rom for now and will try to mainly to start deleting a few unwanted native apps.

tatord4tot

Reaction score
my phone doesnt come up under model. ive tried putting the driver on my computer but it says i have a newer version. which should work but i tried uninstalling it and still no go..

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
my phone doesnt come up under model. ive tried putting the driver on my computer but it says i have a newer version. which should work but i tried uninstalling it and still no go..

Make sure your phone is at the bootloader, open RSDlite, if no model shown go to config: deviceID options, check first-come-first-serve DeviceID mode and see if that helps. Also will show the chip ID it wont say Moto Droid or anything like that.

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
My phone shows up in the list and I selected the sbf file I want, but it does not show the file properties or allow me to press start. Please help!!!

I did manage to get it to work by renaming the file 1.sbf. Not sure why this worked, but it did.

ageotz

Reaction score
sooo I've followed all of the directions and in the install portion I push allow update.zip installation and then install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated).

it then says - E: can't open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory) installation aborted.

ehhh what do/did i do?