SBF to root and to unroot

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
I am having a problem with creating a nandroid backup. When I choose to create either a simple or advanced backup, it either says attempting...and does nothing forever, or it says exited with error 32. I've searched and cannot find an explanation for error 32. Can anyone help me?

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sooo I've followed all of the directions and in the install portion I push allow update.zip installation and then install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated).

it then says - E: can't open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory) installation aborted.

ehhh what do/did i do?

Check out post 20 of this thread. The very last line, before my sig, of the post has your answer. Join the club :)

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have to reactivate you phone everytime you load a ROM?

No you don't. In my exercise in Post #20 I had to twice. Timestamps show how long it took.

If you don't know if you are running 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows and try to install the wrong drivers it politely tells you to use the other drivers and won't install the wrong ones.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am having a problem with creating a nandroid backup. When I choose to create either a simple or advanced backup, it either says attempting...and does nothing forever, or it says exited with error 32. I've searched and cannot find an explanation for error 32. Can anyone help me?

Have you ever made one before and now it is not working or your first attempt at creating one is not working?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/20546-nandroid-error-codes.html but...error 32 is not in the list.

<warning...approaching rant>
This bugs me. Somebody creating the error code. Did they use a random number generator for certain events and call them errors? Why are some of these code's meaning a secret that nobody can figure out? </ rant>

Try this...when you create an advanced nandroid backup you get to choose its name. Pick something simple, like 20100427 for today's date and let us know how you make out.

yoshigoibniu

Reaction score
Thats great!! if only i had a decent windows computer available, you dont happen to know of an alternative linux method do you?

Coots

Reaction score
I tried these instructions, for the Turn my phone into stock. During the process RSD Lite said "FAIL" in the "Progress" section. Now my phone is officially just not doing anything. When I try to boot it says ready for programming, connect USB cable. I am going to try it again right now.... help please?!?!

Coots

Reaction score
It appears to be working this second time around, wish me luck :)

zevoman

Reaction score
Followed the steps and it worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the great write-up! Quick question in regards to rooting - according to the steps listed, we are to "wipe data/factory reset" before we install the "update.zip". Simple logic would suggest that this step will in fact erase everything off of the phone before an updated, rooted 2.1 is installed. Is this correct? Is there no other way to root without wiping everything? I really don't want to have to reinstall the 60+ apps I have on my Driod, let alone all the settings, etc...

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Followed the steps and it worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the great write-up! Quick question in regards to rooting - according to the steps listed, we are to "wipe data/factory reset" before we install the "update.zip". Simple logic would suggest that this step will in fact erase everything off of the phone before an updated, rooted 2.1 is installed. Is this correct? Is there no other way to root without wiping everything? I really don't want to have to reinstall the 60+ apps I have on my Driod, let alone all the settings, etc...

Hi zevoman,
The person who created the update.zip file, Pete, who also created the Bugless Beast series of roms provided those directions.

If the flashing of update.zip wipes everything anyways then your apps still are not saved by skipping the "wipe data/factory reset" step.

Usually it is a good idea to do that wipe of cache and data when switching roms. However, due to having just made a nandroid backup you can skip that step and see what happens. If it turns out not so good you just do a nandroid recovery of what you just backed up and perform the wipe the next time.

Astro, free in the market, will take just about all of your install APK files and back them up to your sdcard. You can then reinstall them later. While settings within each app might be gone you won't have to write down all the apps you have, go to the market to download them again, and then reinstall them one by one. Astro will let you install them from the sdcard.

Once rooted, an app like Titanium Backup will let you back up all your settings, apps, etc and restore as you move from rom to rom even though you do a complete wipe inbetween.

When moving from rom 1.1 to same-rom 1.2 you don't have to do that complete wipe and all your settings will be intact.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
hi christim i got to the part where it says hit start my phone is found i have 64 bit drivers, but if i open the .sbf file in rsd lite it doesn't even show the file properties i am running the program as administrator. help lol. thank you for your time. EDIT i figured it out thanks though

So I still have not figured out this issue. Do i need to rename the file? I've tried it a few different ways and still no dice. I am so ready to root my phone.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hi christim i got to the part where it says hit start my phone is found i have 64 bit drivers, but if i open the .sbf file in rsd lite it doesn't even show the file properties i am running the program as administrator. help lol. thank you for your time. EDIT i figured it out thanks though

So I still have not figured out this issue. Do i need to rename the file? I've tried it a few different ways and still no dice. I am so ready to root my phone.

ahh, thought you had it figured out.

From the screenshot in post 1, you should have the phone displaying in the bottom half in the Model column. You can't install the wrong drivers so that won't be the issue....but they did install right? If not, click the Config link and change your settings in deviceid. It does not matter if the phone is connected via usb and in up-dpad powered on mode first or rsd lite is turned on first.

zevoman

Reaction score

Hi zevoman,
The person who created the update.zip file, Pete, who also created the Bugless Beast series of roms provided those directions.

If the flashing of update.zip wipes everything anyways then your apps still are not saved by skipping the "wipe data/factory reset" step.

Usually it is a good idea to do that wipe of cache and data when switching roms. However, due to having just made a nandroid backup you can skip that step and see what happens. If it turns out not so good you just do a nandroid recovery of what you just backed up and perform the wipe the next time.

Astro, free in the market, will take just about all of your install APK files and back them up to your sdcard. You can then reinstall them later. While settings within each app might be gone you won't have to write down all the apps you have, go to the market to download them again, and then reinstall them one by one. Astro will let you install them from the sdcard.

Once rooted, an app like Titanium Backup will let you back up all your settings, apps, etc and restore as you move from rom to rom even though you do a complete wipe inbetween.

When moving from rom 1.1 to same-rom 1.2 you don't have to do that complete wipe and all your settings will be intact.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, I can at least backup all the apps using ASTRO (which I already have - what a great app!) And you are correct, I did just make a Nandroid backup, so I guess I can always go back.

Thank you for your help. Let's see how this goes!

Codiusprie

Reaction score

ahh, thought you had it figured out.

From the screenshot in post 1, you should have the phone displaying in the bottom half in the Model column. You can't install the wrong drivers so that won't be the issue....but they did install right? If not, click the Config link and change your settings in deviceid. It does not matter if the phone is connected via usb and in up-dpad powered on mode first or rsd lite is turned on first.

No worries! This is actually the first time I've asked the question. I thought I had installed the drivers but ill try it all again and report back. Thanks so much for the quick response.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
So I am still having the same issue. The phone is picked up fine by RSD Lite, it is the SBF file that isn't being recognized. None of the information appears in the right hand box and when I press start it just gives me an error message. I have tried moving the file around various places on my computer and still no luck.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with Admin access. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit Motorola Drivers. I don't really know what else to try. It is pretty frustrating.

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
So I am still having the same issue. The phone is picked up fine by RSD Lite, it is the SBF file that isn't being recognized. None of the information appears in the right hand box and when I press start it just gives me an error message. I have tried moving the file around various places on my computer and still no luck.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with Admin access. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit Motorola Drivers. I don't really know what else to try. It is pretty frustrating.

I had the same problem. I renamed the file to 1.sbf and it worked. If you put the cursor in the filename after you select it and randomly delete characters, the start button will appear and disappear. I don't know if it has to be a certain number of characters......hey, I don't know anything about this. But renaming it worked for me.