SBF to root and to unroot

Codiusprie

Reaction score
So I am still having the same issue. The phone is picked up fine by RSD Lite, it is the SBF file that isn't being recognized. None of the information appears in the right hand box and when I press start it just gives me an error message. I have tried moving the file around various places on my computer and still no luck.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with Admin access. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit Motorola Drivers. I don't really know what else to try. It is pretty frustrating.

I had the same problem. I renamed the file to 1.sbf and it worked. If you put the cursor in the filename after you select it and randomly delete characters, the start button will appear and disappear. I don't know if it has to be a certain number of characters......hey, I don't know anything about this. But renaming it worked for me.

Hrm. I did try renaming it and such. The "start" button is not grayed out but it still won't do anything but give me an error message. Lame.

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
I am having a problem with creating a nandroid backup. When I choose to create either a simple or advanced backup, it either says attempting...and does nothing forever, or it says exited with error 32. I've searched and cannot find an explanation for error 32. Can anyone help me?

Have you ever made one before and now it is not working or your first attempt at creating one is not working?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/20546-nandroid-error-codes.html but...error 32 is not in the list.

<warning...approaching rant>
This bugs me. Somebody creating the error code. Did they use a random number generator for certain events and call them errors? Why are some of these code's meaning a secret that nobody can figure out? </ rant>

Try this...when you create an advanced nandroid backup you get to choose its name. Pick something simple, like 20100427 for today's date and let us know how you make out.

This is my first attempt at creating a nandroid backup. When I first try to create one, it says "Attempting nandroid backup" and the little striped line at the bottom is moving, but nothing happens. I've even let it go a half hour. I have to pull the battery. Then I boot it holding the "x" again and try again to create a backup and it says "ERROR: Nandroid exited with status 32."

Not sure if it is because I pulled the battery, but it didn't give me any choice. Anyway, if I cannot get this to work, since I am rooted, can I just use Astro or Titanium backup? Does it do the same thing? Thank you in advance.

Edit: I started over by re downloading everything and doing the whole process again. Everything seems to be working now. on to the good stuff!!!! Thank you all!

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
So I am still having the same issue. The phone is picked up fine by RSD Lite, it is the SBF file that isn't being recognized. None of the information appears in the right hand box and when I press start it just gives me an error message. I have tried moving the file around various places on my computer and still no luck.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with Admin access. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit Motorola Drivers. I don't really know what else to try. It is pretty frustrating.

I had the same problem. I renamed the file to 1.sbf and it worked. If you put the cursor in the filename after you select it and randomly delete characters, the start button will appear and disappear. I don't know if it has to be a certain number of characters......hey, I don't know anything about this. But renaming it worked for me.

Hrm. I did try renaming it and such. The "start" button is not grayed out but it still won't do anything but give me an error message. Lame.

Like I said, I don't know much, but I went into windows explorer and renamed the file 1.sbf then found it using rslite. I clicked on the entry where my phone was so the information was up in the phone properties and clicked start. It flashed the file over and rebooted my phone but then told me to manually boot it, so I rebooted it into bootloader mode and it finished successfully.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So if I flash the 2.0.1 SBF, it will flash my phone back to 2.0.1, and all I have to do is resign into google and *228 right?

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So if I flash the 2.0.1 SBF, it will flash my phone back to 2.0.1, and all I have to do is resign into google and *228 right?

hi there titans!
Correct. I have a post in here that does a complete play by play of what I had to do, if that helps.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You've reinstalled the drivers and rsd lite. Did you try to redownload the sbf file too? I looked back, and unless I missed it I don't see the error message it is giving you. What's it saying?

Codiusprie

Reaction score

You've reinstalled the drivers and rsd lite. Did you try to redownload the sbf file too? I looked back, and unless I missed it I don't see the error message it is giving you. What's it saying?

I redownloaded the sbf file like half a dozen times atleast, tried downloading it to different locations on my computer, renaming 1.sbf before downloading it. All that jazz.

The error code I get is this

"Failed Flashing Process. Failed Flashing Process. (0x7100)Phone Connected"

It's breaking ma balls :mad:

Edit: I did a quick Google search for that error code and it seems like I may not be running RSD Lite in admin mode. I am on an admin account, is there anything else I need to do to run the program as an admin?

Diordna

Reaction score

mr.hughes1116

Reaction score
Ok. So my phone will not read the usb the white lite is not on so how do I go back to the 2.1 ota without having to use a compture

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Edit: I did a quick Google search for that error code and it seems like I may not be running RSD Lite in admin mode. I am on an admin account, is there anything else I need to do to run the program as an admin?

You beat me to it then, because Google was where I would have checked next too. Is there another PC you can try this on? If the user you are logged on with is an admin you should be good to go.

Shift-right click should give you a "run as" option. I'll cross my fingers for you.

SDL.EXE is the process name running in task manager on my PC. Right-click the task b ar and open that up, go to the Processes tab and see which user is running that. Confirm it is SDL.exe by opening and closing RSD Lite and seeing the name appear and vanish from the list of running processes.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey Christim, I'm confused on this thread compared to this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

What's the difference?

And someone said in that thread that the way he said to root won't work with the OTA 2.1 stock (which I have) so I also want to know if you confirm that.

I'm going to root probably tonight after a few more questions! Thanks!

Matt's guide assumes you are on 2.01 as it was written prior to the 2.1 update. This means you need to downgrade to 2.01 to then root. you can do so by using the option in the first post of this thread to unroot back to stock 2.01 and then you can follow the rest of his steps to become rooted, install sprecovery, then flash the rom you want. Since that was written we are now on stock 2.1 phones that can just sbf flash sprecovery into place and then flash the rom of your choice.

However, his guide is a good one to understand everything going on. It explains what rooting is, what a nandroid recovery and back up is, etc.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok. So my phone will not read the usb the white lite is not on so how do I go back to the 2.1 ota without having to use a compture

A couple people have asked about how to get back to stock without using RSD Lite. The last entry on the first post of this thread has just been added and has instructions on how to do that. As it doesn't use RSD Lite, which depends on a Windows based computer this method can work from your phone, or from a Linux or Mac computer.

Diordna

Reaction score
Hey Christim, I'm confused on this thread compared to this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

What's the difference?

And someone said in that thread that the way he said to root won't work with the OTA 2.1 stock (which I have) so I also want to know if you confirm that.

I'm going to root probably tonight after a few more questions! Thanks!

Matt's guide assumes you are on 2.01 as it was written prior to the 2.1 update. This means you need to downgrade to 2.01 to then root. you can do so by using the option in the first post of this thread to unroot back to stock 2.01 and then you can follow the rest of his steps to become rooted, install sprecovery, then flash the rom you want. Since that was written we are now on stock 2.1 phones that can just sbf flash sprecovery into place and then flash the rom of your choice.

However, his guide is a good one to understand everything going on. It explains what rooting is, what a nandroid recovery and back up is, etc.

So with OTA 2.1 and I follow your thread, will that work out fine for me?
I have to tell you that idc much at all really for custom visuals. I want phone performance enhancement, stuff that will make my phone better not look different.

What ROM would you suggest in doing so, that does better things to the phone (excluding visual performance!)

Of course (to my knowledge?) I can get overclocking and wifi tethering by itself, just wanting to make sure I can get one of these roms that has more stuff than visuals to it.

If not, then is it really easy to just root and stay stock themed like a lot of users said they do? Just with wifi tethering and overclock? And maybe other cool stuff if recommended by you? :)

Thank! You're a big help, I NEED that right now. lol
I'm at the stage where I'm about to lift off into root (orbit? lol) and the 10 seconds are counting down REAL real slow and everything is coming together to embrace myself before this rocket leaves everyone else and follows the rooters into a whole new world :)

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So with OTA 2.1 and I follow your thread, will that work out fine for me?
I have to tell you that idc much at all really for custom visuals. I want phone performance enhancement, stuff that will make my phone better not look different.

What ROM would you suggest in doing so, that does better things to the phone (excluding visual performance!)

Of course (to my knowledge?) I can get overclocking and wifi tethering by itself, just wanting to make sure I can get one of these roms that has more stuff than visuals to it.

If not, then is it really easy to just root and stay stock themed like a lot of users said they do? Just with wifi tethering and overclock? And maybe other cool stuff if recommended by you? :)
:)

Rooting is pretty easy. Break it down into smaller steps and it is less scary. Get sprecovery on your phone. Those steps you know how to do now.

Next, go to the rom section of the forum here. Look at each of the roms. They each have screenshots, a list of what is included, and instructions.

I'll speak of SG because it's what I have inastalled now. It comes with wifi. It comes with the option to install a kernel that can be overclocked. Other roms have similar offerings. If you don't like what you picked you can go try another one.

So: sprecovery. Make a nandroid backup. Try a rom. Try them all. If overclocking doesn't seem worth it to you and you don't care for any of the themes, then do the nandroid restore, install wi-fi and keep the ese81 rooted version.

Codiusprie

Reaction score

You beat me to it then, because Google was where I would have checked next too. Is there another PC you can try this on? If the user you are logged on with is an admin you should be good to go.

Shift-right click should give you a "run as" option. I'll cross my fingers for you.

SDL.EXE is the process name running in task manager on my PC. Right-click the task b ar and open that up, go to the Processes tab and see which user is running that. Confirm it is SDL.exe by opening and closing RSD Lite and seeing the name appear and vanish from the list of running processes.

Hey Christim, thanks for the quick and imformative replies. I ended up just trying it on my fiances computer and it fired right up, everything went very smoothly and I am not the proud owner of a rooted phone.

A quick question while I am here. If I wanted to say, download Smoked Glass, do I just need to download it, rename it update.zip and put it in the root of my sdcard then boot in recovery and install (after wiping data and backing everything up of course)?