[RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7]

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
Ok, in case if anyone else is brand new to Safestrap, like I am: DON'T toggle the safe system to on, unless you flash a ROM. (right?) If you have Safe System enabled, it'll try to boot to the second android OS you DON'T have (since you didn't flash one.) So you'll have to hold the Power and Volume Down buttons for 10-20 seconds in order to restart. then push the menu button to get back to Safestrap to toggle the Safe System to disabled again. (Whew!)

Anyways, I just assumed that the "Safe System" was a "safe" copy of my original, where I could play around and mess stuff up - but instead, it was nothing. Just wanted to share the info, in case if anyone finds it helpful.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Update: when I decided to manually apply the update to 6.13.219 I unrooted the phone and applied the update. Before i rerooted I checked to see if the droid4 utility was updated with the option to install safestrap. Version 0.4 has that option enabled (version 0.3 has that option removed) so i installed safestrap and voila, it worked!

Now time to try out those roms!

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
Is it safe to allow the OTA update that verizon wants to push to my phone if I've got safestrap installed?

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
I didn't think it would be out yet either, but after work today, I got a popup asking me to "install now" or "install later". I assume that's the OTA. I did download the update, yesterday, but I haven't installed it. so maybe the download will cause the pop up?

Anyways, I just wondered if I need to do something to safestrap (uninstall? disable?), first, before permitting the update... or can I just let it install as things are, right now. (I realize I'll probably loose root, but I'm not sure I need/want it right away again anyways. Although, do you need root to even boot up your phone with safestrap? Or did you only need root to *install* safestrap? I could also try installing that rootkeeper that I've been hearing about.)

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Ya, it looks like it was released today. What i read was it would be soon, so i guess soon is now. Try to install it but be sure to unfreeze all everything. Someone had the update fail because there were apps that were still frozen.

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
Well, I decided to give the OTA update a try, today.

I have safestrap installed, but I'm still running stock on the unsafe system.

Here's what I did: I installed voodoo rootkeeper, and backed up su. Then I ran titanium backup and backed up everythung. Then I rebooted to the safestrap bootloader menu and did a full backup there. Then I rebooted and told the OTA update to install. The update went fine, but now I don't see the boot menu for safestrap. I ran voodoo rootkeeper to restore root, which seems to have worked... but it keeps showing me the option to restore root. ('Device rooted' and 'root permission granted' are unchecked. But apps that need root seem to work.) Anyways, I suppose when I get time by a real computer, I'll try unrooting with droid4utility and re-rooting and re-installing safestrap...

Anyways, just wanted to give people an idea of what might happen with safestrap and the OTA update...

Burrgoddess

Reaction score
How do I backup?

I have safestrap installed. When I hit menu it takes my screen to a hat icon but I can't go anywhere from there...

So far setup has been much easier than when I had D2.

TeeKay1

Reaction score
So I just want something to make Nandroid backups so I'm trying to grasp all of this so bear with me. I want to use Safestrap for D4, not Clockwork Mod? I'm new to this whole Boot/Safestrap thing because I used Clockwork mod to make backups back on my Droid 1.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clockwork mod recovery is IN Safestrap. Safestrap is just a program that allows you to get there with this locked bootloader business.