GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
***All Credit to Hashcode***

Take a minute to donate to Hashcode if you like his work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4243514

Posted by Hashcode on Page 9:

Updated Safestrap for RAZR-HD/Atrix-HD to v3.12:

Download the APK Installer Here for "RAZR-HD/ATRIX-HD" : http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/vanquish/RAZR-HD-Safestrap-3.12.apk
md5sum: 9b3d75e84c06d1e71af1bf1bad57faf3
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

CHANGES:
[01/04] (3.12) Fix initial file selector location for backup/restore
[12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
[12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
[12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions. * STILL TESTING -- BUGGY*
[12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM
After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
[12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
[12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
- The testers (BigDX) which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always let Hashcode know what you think!!!

Last edited:
OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
For users running jellybean leak only
INSTRUCTIONS for getting STOCK running on a rom-slot:

[ EDIT: 11/15, Removed fix-rom-slot.zip from instructions. It's no longer needed and screws up paid apps. ]

STEPS:

1. Install Safestrap 3 from the above notes
2. Reboot into recovery
3. Make a backup of your stock rom slot
4. Go into "Boot Options" and create a new rom-slot (if you haven't) -- 1GB data is probably good enough for most users
5. Once that is created it may say "rom slot: off" at the top, make sure to go back into the new rom-slot and use "Activate" button
6. Now use the "Restore" button on the main menu to restore the backup you made of stock to the new rom-slot
7. When that's done restoring, use "Wipe" -> "Factory Reset" and then "Dalvik Cache" from the main menu
8. At this point you should have a full working copy of the stock MotoBlur ROM on a rom-slot which you can flash and modify w/o fear of bricking.
9. Reboot and enjoy

IF USERS on STOCK ICS want a method for getting that onto a rom-slot as well, let Hashcode know.

Last edited:
OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
updated OP to 3.12

recDNA

Reaction score
Does Safestrap 3.12 work in locked razr maxx hd rooted in latest 79 update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
Does Safestrap 3.12 work in locked razr maxx hd rooted in latest 79 update?

Absolutely, and just so you know Safestrap is essentially the same as TWRP. Safestrap is the Locked Bootloader Recovery version of TWRP, this means that Safestrap backups can be used in TWRP and TWRP backups would also work in Safestrap (theory). Safestrap works regardless of what the System version is, and it can even be used to restore Root when installed if Root is lost. Hashcode does some impressive work on the Safestrap recovery!

recDNA

Reaction score
Thanks! Have any rooted locked bootloader people in maxx hd .79 update tried installing it? When the next update comes along do I have to uninstall safestrap before taking update? If so how?

How do I know which roms will work in safestrap? Do they all have to have there same kernel as my system rom? Is there a way to install a special kernel for a slot rom in safestrap? I watched the video but it didn't mention kernels. I don't think any of the custom roms use the .79 kernel.

Thanks for tolerating the noob.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Thanks! Have any rooted locked bootloader people in maxx hd .79 update tried installing it? When the next update comes along do I have to uninstall safestrap before taking update? If so how?

How do I know which roms will work in safestrap? Do they all have to have there same kernel as my system rom? Is there a way to install a special kernel for a slot rom in safestrap? I watched the video but it didn't mention kernels. I don't think any of the custom roms use the .79 kernel.

Definitely interested as well. Was a little slow at hacking this phone and wound up getting the 9.18.79 OTA update before I unlocked my phone. So no I have it rooted, but no unlocked bootloader and would like to install some custom roms. This looks like an awesome app to install that could help me do this. But along with the questions above by recDNA, and to slightly reword the one referring to the kernels, are locked bootloader users able to use this to install AOSP ROMS?

recDNA

Reaction score
I've been told no. Apparently custom rom must use same kernel as system rom if locked. I don't think any custom rom uses kernel from latest update.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
I've been told no. Apparently custom rom must use same kernel as system rom if locked. I don't think any custom rom uses kernel from latest update.

How do we find ROMs that can be utilized then? I've made all sorts of "non-AOSP rom" google searches and forum searches and haven't been able to come up with any yet. Though, I'm able to find a lot of people that say there is a bunch out there...

recDNA

Reaction score
Rage might work. It is based on stock but uses a different kernel so who knows? People were more forthcoming in tbolt forums.
To be honest If I can't try cm10.1 I'd just as soon stay stock rooted.

KaChow

Reaction score

Safestrap does work on JB 4.1.2 it is not System version specific. With Safestrap you do not need to Uninstall it to take updates, the Stock Android System Recovery is still there. Just install Safestrap and then check for yourself> Hold Power + Volume (-) down to reboot> as soon as screen is Black Hold Power + Volume (+) up, highlight Recovery then press Volume (+) up> at the dead Android Hold Volume (-) down then quickly tap Volume (+) up and you will be in Recovery. Still safe to install OTA's with Root protected of course.

When our devices received the Unlocked Bootloader, this also meant that the development seized on Safestrap safe ROMs, most of the Safestrap ROMs have been deleted for our device, you should find some remaining Safestrap safe ROMs here in this Development section, but there really isn't anything new, and make sure you look for ROMs that are Safestrap compatiable. Safestrap does not require you to use the same kernel as the system rom, you can flash ICS if you want to without any issues. There are no special kernels available for our device that is compatiable with Safestrap. This is why kernels are also rarely mentioned as there are only a few out there and they are designed for Unlocked Bootloaders. Don't worry about System versions, we are flashing ROMs, which can be 4.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2. System versions are something that is used to identify Motorola stock ROMs, and a quick note if you flash to a non-stock or custom ROM and an update is available, you will need to Flash back to the current ROM version, which in your case appears to be .79 to take the next OTA. OTA's do not work in custom ROMs.

recDNA

Reaction score
Thanks. So i need to check each romthread & look for safestrap directions. I got confused because some aosp roms say to install in slot one or slot 4 so i assumed that meant safestrap compatibility.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
For anyone else using the latest version of SafeStrap, this guy has a very well done video showing what steps to take to backup, flash, and restore ROMs using SafeStrap 3.11

[video=youtube;XkgV327UPCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgV327UPCM[/video]

OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Tom has a lot of helpful videos. :)

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

recDNA

Reaction score
Ya, saw it before. I just didn't get that rom had to be designed for safestrap. Maybe I'll get a new phone and sell this one once some of the new motos come out. Of course they might not have a bootloader exploit either. I prefer moto radios but I've never tried LG.