Rooting the Droid X?

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by mkthnx001, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mth04

mth04 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thqts correct. I have asked if one is available to me yet and not gotten a response. If I do root will be quick I think

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    I too was going to bring up the Milestone. The good thing is I don't think the rooting scene has hurt Motorola in anyway and its also helped get the word out about their phone through sites such as Droidforums. This sort of free viral marketing has got to be worth something to them.

What will be interesting will be if some of our favorite Moto-Droid devs will be upgrading their phones too. I'm not deep enough into the scene to know if the same folks we have come to know that create cool roms for our original droids also create roms for the nexus, inc, eros, ally, etc or is it another group of people altogether?

The benefit of not upgrading until next summer is having the knowledge of which of these upcoming phones is the best instead of wondering which will be the best.

3. b16a2smith

b16a2smith Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me put it this way, it would be great to see them come straight to an X but, here is one other dilemma, Droid2 supposedly is on its way also, so after a month or a few weeks of the D2 being out, then you will see who is going where. That will determine everything, or they might wait for an LTE 2GHZ monster Motorola has been scoffing about.

4. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hopeful that the X will get a lot of attention from a few wonderful devs. It would be hard to get used to if they don't after having the Droid since launch. Maybe I've just been spoiled? Although I love Motorola's phones, buying an HTC phone has it's advantages because you know that Cyanogen and the guys over at XDA will support it. We need an XDA type group for Motorola phones. With the Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, and possibly the Droid Pro, there are and will be plenty of awesome Motorola phones to support. If the X comes with a locked bootloader but is still rooted, I will still be happy with wifi tethering and overclocking.

5. Croak

Croak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, American market blinders.

Ask the people that own a Milestone about locked bootloaders. Even the original Droid was locked (though not that tight), and what they learned from that, they applied to the Milestone, which ain't unlocked yet and may never be.

6. Skrilax_CZ

Skrilax_CZ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid wasn't locked, no hack needed if you have the sbf flash file on Droid. So yes, *sbf* flash file is needed to see if it's open that way or not.

#30 Skrilax_CZ, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe they just like US more ... (pun intended) ... or are there any smartphones over there released with no lockdown from OEM's ?

8. BzB

BzB Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i've heard the droid x won't be rooted anytime soon due to the boot-loader. and if it does get rooted it's going to be handicapped due to the way moto is using the "blur" overlay on the phone.

if true this kind of sucks because from all the reviews so far the droid x seems to be kind of laggy despite the big processor. cnet and engagdet and zdnet all say the droid x should be the fastest phone out, but it's actually slower in real life use than phones like the nexus and the incredible. things like switching screens and ui lag were apparent in even some of the youtube vids.

hope they go a different direction with the droid pro and leave their blur crap or whatever they want to call it off that phone.

9. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I just read from a person getting ready to review the X saying either before or sometime after its released it will get some kind of software update. (It says 9 homescreens on Motorola site. the reviewer says it has 7)

I remember reading Motorola or Verizon saying the X didnt have the final software on it yet too. Maybe they are reading the reviews and will tweak stuff, who knows. But if Blur is the reason for the lag.....give me Launcher Pro or ADW and call it a day....Those 2 changed my Droid's scrolling experience alot.

10. sic0048

sic0048 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need the bootloader cracked to root the device. Just look at the Moto Milestone. It's bootloader is digitally signed by Motorola and it has not be cracked - but it has been rooted for months now. The concern is that Moto digitally signed the bootloader for the Droid X as well. But even if that turns out to be true (and I think it will), the phone should still hopefully be rooted sooner rather than later.

Root allows you access to the low level functions of the phone and OS and allows to do do things like add unauthorized programs, overclock, tether, etc, etc, et.

11. doug piston

doug piston Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    you guys say moto doesnt care about locking the phone down, that maybe true but look at the nexus one. it came pretty much unlocked. so to compare that would mean htc doesnt care about rooting. then look at the incredible and how long its taken to get root. i guess my point is that its not the phone developers that care. its vzw and they want their phones locked down. vzw is apple in the carrier world. they want to have control over everything it will get hacked if man made it man can cracked but it will not be as quick as the droid nor be as full a root. ie meaning hboot unlock. sorry to say but all x users including myself will be waiting awhile.

12. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,820
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Can't compare nexus 1 to moto and htc. Google doesn't care about rooting, moto probably doesn't, I'm sure the lockdown comes from the carrier. They have the liability so that's where the issue is. If rooting didn't void your warranty they would lose tons on hacked phones being traded in for one reason or another.

Sent from my Droid

Search tags for this page

droid root with cracker milestone

droid x root bootloader problem