Rooting the Droid X?

mmobley

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Even if the boot loader is locked.... It just makes this a little more challenging and will be that much more fun / rewarding when root is finally obtained.

Plus someone some where in this android army better obtain root.

(Because i've already started theme'in some of the X-dump) HAHAHAHAH

Come on i couldn't help myself.

- An that's bringing it strong with mmobley ;)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm with CK here; Motorola has never demonstrated a history of caring one way or another on the subject of rooting and the bootloaders.

They know there is a large hacking community, and let's face it, they know they can allow a leaked OS out and we'll jump on it, essentially being unofficial beta testers.

For those that still have an arguement in favor of Moto locking it down, let me say this: At the time you have the phone, they have been paid for the hardware supplied, so .... :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moto leaving the ability to root accessible is the antithesis to Apple and their Fort Knox mentality

It's perfect :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Martin!

In addition they know out of the total user population, most don't root and hack, they just use it as delivered and are happy with it as is.

I'd say in that reguard they are more in touch with their user base than the fruit company ("You're holding that wrong!")

OP
M

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I kind of knew it would get rooted, but just wanted to make sure. Hoping it's done before the end of July, as I talked my nephew into getting the Nexus One instead of the iPhone 4, and I don't want him rubbing Froyo in my face once he gets it. :p

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that while the Droid is very root friendly the Milestone is less so and I've heard theories that Google's direct involvement in the Droid was the reason for it having a relatively open boot loader.

But I do think the Droid X will get rooted. It looks like it will be a popular phone and there's a lot of great minds in the rooting community and there's always a bug somewhere that can be leveraged. Apple, for example, tries very hard to lock their users out and yet their phones/OS updates are always jailbroken eventually.

sic0048

Reaction score
I agree it will be rooted.... but will the bootloader be fully cracked?

I am new to all this, but it seems from what I have read that the while the Moto Milestone is rooted, hackers still haven't been able to crack the bootloader. That means that while it might be possible to make some tweaks (such as overclock, or add a free wireless tethering program), users still cannot load custom ROMs. While getting rooted is certainly a first step, having a locked bootloader will prevent any of the customizations from being available on the Droid X.

Please correct me if I am wrong - as I stated, I am just beginning to look into these things....

Thanks,

Reaction score
Moto Milestone is rooted, hackers still haven't been able to crack the bootloader. That means that while it might be possible to make some tweaks (such as overclock, or add a free wireless tethering program), users still cannot load custom ROMs.

Correct, the Milestone is rooted but the bootloader has not been cracked. However there is working on either cracking or bypasses it from kernel-space on an existing install:
motorola_milestone [And Developers]

B

b16a2smith

With a system dump out there, all we need is an sbf, if we had an sbf there would be a lot more readily available for this phone when it drops on the 15th.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thqts correct. I have asked if one is available to me yet and not gotten a response. If I do root will be quick I think

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto Milestone is rooted, hackers still haven't been able to crack the bootloader. That means that while it might be possible to make some tweaks (such as overclock, or add a free wireless tethering program), users still cannot load custom ROMs.

Correct, the Milestone is rooted but the bootloader has not been cracked. However there is working on either cracking or bypasses it from kernel-space on an existing install:

I too was going to bring up the Milestone. The good thing is I don't think the rooting scene has hurt Motorola in anyway and its also helped get the word out about their phone through sites such as Droidforums. This sort of free viral marketing has got to be worth something to them.

What will be interesting will be if some of our favorite Moto-Droid devs will be upgrading their phones too. I'm not deep enough into the scene to know if the same folks we have come to know that create cool roms for our original droids also create roms for the nexus, inc, eros, ally, etc or is it another group of people altogether?

The benefit of not upgrading until next summer is having the knowledge of which of these upcoming phones is the best instead of wondering which will be the best.

B

b16a2smith

What will be interesting will be if some of our favorite Moto-Droid devs will be upgrading their phones too.

Let me put it this way, it would be great to see them come straight to an X but, here is one other dilemma, Droid2 supposedly is on its way also, so after a month or a few weeks of the D2 being out, then you will see who is going where. That will determine everything, or they might wait for an LTE 2GHZ monster Motorola has been scoffing about.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that the X will get a lot of attention from a few wonderful devs. It would be hard to get used to if they don't after having the Droid since launch. Maybe I've just been spoiled? Although I love Motorola's phones, buying an HTC phone has it's advantages because you know that Cyanogen and the guys over at XDA will support it. We need an XDA type group for Motorola phones. With the Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, and possibly the Droid Pro, there are and will be plenty of awesome Motorola phones to support. If the X comes with a locked bootloader but is still rooted, I will still be happy with wifi tethering and overclocking.

Croak

Reaction score
I'm with CK here; Motorola has never demonstrated a history of caring one way or another on the subject of rooting and the bootloaders.

They know there is a large hacking community, and let's face it, they know they can allow a leaked OS out and we'll jump on it, essentially being unofficial beta testers.

For those that still have an arguement in favor of Moto locking it down, let me say this: At the time you have the phone, they have been paid for the hardware supplied, so .... :)

Ah, American market blinders.

Ask the people that own a Milestone about locked bootloaders. Even the original Droid was locked (though not that tight), and what they learned from that, they applied to the Milestone, which ain't unlocked yet and may never be.

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
Droid wasn't locked, no hack needed if you have the sbf flash file on Droid. So yes, *sbf* flash file is needed to see if it's open that way or not.

Last edited: