Rooting the Droid X?

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by mkthnx001, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jaisin

jaisin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have a magical inside to the MOTO world of phones, but as google hands out base updates left n right like your neighborhood 'Drug pusher", I doubt the DX will be locked down. They need to "leak" the updates so the Dev's can show Google how to make the Roms better.
    And if it is, There is wayyy too much intellegence on DF to not ROOT that monster.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    We Would half to Kill you if we told you ;)

3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    It'll be rooted. Don't worry...

4. mmobley

mmobley Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Even if the boot loader is locked.... It just makes this a little more challenging and will be that much more fun / rewarding when root is finally obtained.

Plus someone some where in this android army better obtain root.

(Because i've already started theme'in some of the X-dump) HAHAHAHAH

Come on i couldn't help myself.

- An that's bringing it strong with mmobley ;)

5. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with CK here; Motorola has never demonstrated a history of caring one way or another on the subject of rooting and the bootloaders.

They know there is a large hacking community, and let's face it, they know they can allow a leaked OS out and we'll jump on it, essentially being unofficial beta testers.

For those that still have an arguement in favor of Moto locking it down, let me say this: At the time you have the phone, they have been paid for the hardware supplied, so .... :)

6. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Moto leaving the ability to root accessible is the antithesis to Apple and their Fort Knox mentality

It's perfect :)

7. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Absolutely Martin!

In addition they know out of the total user population, most don't root and hack, they just use it as delivered and are happy with it as is.

I'd say in that reguard they are more in touch with their user base than the fruit company ("You're holding that wrong!")

8. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I kind of knew it would get rooted, but just wanted to make sure. Hoping it's done before the end of July, as I talked my nephew into getting the Nexus One instead of the iPhone 4, and I don't want him rubbing Froyo in my face once he gets it. :p

9. kevin@teslacoilsw

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to point out that while the Droid is very root friendly the Milestone is less so and I've heard theories that Google's direct involvement in the Droid was the reason for it having a relatively open boot loader.

But I do think the Droid X will get rooted. It looks like it will be a popular phone and there's a lot of great minds in the rooting community and there's always a bug somewhere that can be leveraged. Apple, for example, tries very hard to lock their users out and yet their phones/OS updates are always jailbroken eventually.

10. sic0048

sic0048 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree it will be rooted.... but will the bootloader be fully cracked?

I am new to all this, but it seems from what I have read that the while the Moto Milestone is rooted, hackers still haven't been able to crack the bootloader. That means that while it might be possible to make some tweaks (such as overclock, or add a free wireless tethering program), users still cannot load custom ROMs. While getting rooted is certainly a first step, having a locked bootloader will prevent any of the customizations from being available on the Droid X.

Please correct me if I am wrong - as I stated, I am just beginning to look into these things....

Thanks,

11. kevin@teslacoilsw

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, the Milestone is rooted but the bootloader has not been cracked. However there is working on either cracking or bypasses it from kernel-space on an existing install:
    motorola_milestone [And Developers]

12. b16a2smith

b16a2smith Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    With a system dump out there, all we need is an sbf, if we had an sbf there would be a lot more readily available for this phone when it drops on the 15th.

Search tags for this page

droid root with cracker milestone

droid x root bootloader problem