Rooting the Droid X?

Syco54645

Reaction score
This person appears to have a Droid X and is willing to do Q&A. He has been asked about the boot loader being locked but is unsure about how to check it. I am as well. Figured I would post it here so someone could work with him in order to give it a try.
Droid X in my hands on monday - Android Forums

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
That will always be my hesitation on buying a new phone, if I can't run a custom Rom on MY PHONE then I just won't buy it. That being said there is enough interest from the Cyanogen team and many other developers on getting their hands on a Droid X. I do think Motorola has appreciated the following the Droid has provided them and will leave a door open for the developers to find and push Motorola phones to new levels.

Syco54645

Reaction score
That will always be my hesitation on buying a new phone, if I can't run a custom Rom on MY PHONE then I just won't buy it. That being said there is enough interest from the Cyanogen team and many other developers on getting their hands on a Droid X. I do think Motorola has appreciated the following the Droid has provided them and will leave a door open for the developers to find and push Motorola phones to new levels.

I feel the same way and hope that you are right. I really hope root can be found before the 15th (ala evo style!). Time will tell...

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the decision is not motorola's its vzw. and the reason i got it along with the incredible is for the fun on trying to help the devs root the thing

sic0048

Reaction score
the decision is not motorola's its vzw. and the reason i got it along with the incredible is for the fun on trying to help the devs root the thing

It's not Verizon's decision. If that was so, then every phone on Verizon's network from every manufacture would have their bootloader digitally signed. This is not the case. The only devices that have had a digitally signed bootloader have been Motorola. The Milestone is a Motorola that has a digitally signed bootloader that is not even on the Verizon network. Can you see the common denominator here? (Hint - it is not Verizon).

Verizon may demand that all phone have "locked" bootloaders. But there is a big difference between "locked" and encrypted using a digitally signed encryption method - A BIG difference.

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

It's not Verizon's decision. If that was so, then every phone on Verizon's network from every manufacture would have their bootloader digitally signed. This is not the case. The only devices that have had a digitally signed bootloader have been Motorola. The Milestone is a Motorola that has a digitally signed bootloader that is not even on the Verizon network. Can you see the common denominator here? (Hint - it is not Verizon).

Verizon may demand that all phone have "locked" bootloaders. But there is a big difference between "locked" and encrypted using a digitally signed encryption method - A BIG difference.
i see your point now. thanks for the info.

sic0048

Reaction score

I hope you took my post with a grain of salt. After reading it again, I think I sounded like a prick. (ie - see the common denominator....).

Sorry about that!

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I hope you took my post with a grain of salt. After reading it again, I think I sounded like a prick. (ie - see the common denominator....).

Sorry about that!
its the internet, everyone sounds like a dick if you take that way. no worries mate. i took no offense to it at all.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Not that is has ever become official but the Froyo leak for the Droid has led to some great beta testing for Motorola.
Just an idea:
The Droid X could get significant beta testing of Froyo for Motorola as well, I think if a leak comes out then Motorola has indeed left a door open to root the phone.

Reaction score

But, the Milestone is on the Vodafone network, which is in fact a Verizon company. The only reason Iknow this is because I may be moving to Germany soon so I have been researching what phones/carriers are available there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rolandct

Reaction score
I though Vodaphone was independent and they and Verizon mutually own Verizon Wireless?

Darkseider

Reaction score
I'm with CK here; Motorola has never demonstrated a history of caring one way or another on the subject of rooting and the bootloaders.

They know there is a large hacking community, and let's face it, they know they can allow a leaked OS out and we'll jump on it, essentially being unofficial beta testers.

For those that still have an arguement in favor of Moto locking it down, let me say this: At the time you have the phone, they have been paid for the hardware supplied, so .... :)

Would like to point you to the Milestone and the Backflip. They are locked down tighter than a drum.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
Three things... No1 It will be a while before any good custom roms come out that will fully utilize the awesome hardware of the X. No2 there is no such thing as an android phone that cant be rooted only an android phone that is hard to root (ex: the samsung moment piece of crap) I hate sprint and I hate that phones file system!!! No3 the X does not have blur but, rather Blur like widgets and social networking capability.

Oh and P.S. Titans I highlighted your Froyo F.A.Q's on one of my threads. It was informative and I believed it helped a lot of newbies. Keep up the good work.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Three things... No1 It will be a while before any good custom roms come out that will fully utilize the awesome hardware of the X. No2 there is no such thing as an android phone that cant be rooted only an android phone that is hard to root (ex: the samsung moment piece of crap) I hate sprint and I hate that phones file system!!! No3 the X does not have blur but, rather Blur like widgets and social networking capability.

Oh and P.S. Titans I highlighted your Froyo F.A.Q's on one of my threads. It was informative and I believed it helped a lot of newbies. Keep up the good work.

I would like to call you on No. 2 and introduce you to the Motorola Backflip. Has not been rooted. Period. Before you google it and link that article saying it was rooted by some clown know before hand he did it with a Moto dev kit. So far that sucker is unrooted and looks to stay that way.