Rooting the Droid X?

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
yes thank you for calling me on that. you are right. think of all the pissed off people if the X cant be rooted though, I know i would be one of them cuz I want that phone but, if it cant I guess we can all wait two weeks until a better phone comes out. Hell, motorola alone is putting out 10 phones this year if I remember correctly.

tgrillot87

Reaction score
Wouldn't the rooting process be essentially the same as it is on the original Droid? I was under the impression that it was the operating system that was rooted not the phone itself.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the rooting process be essentially the same as it is on the original Droid? I was under the impression that it was the operating system that was rooted not the phone itself.

Nope, it is different for each phone. Now gaining root is almost inevitable, but cracking a signed bootloader is almost impossible. The European version of the Droid (known as the Milestone) is identical to the Droid. However, since Motorola used a signed bootloader on it, you are still unable to use custom ROMs and the like. Apparently you can still root a phone with a signed bootloader and do things like overclock the CPU and wifi tethering, but you can't use custom ROMs.

tgrillot87

Reaction score
I think I see now. My main concern is being able to use the wifi tether without having an extra service charge. But to bring that point up perhaps that is why Moto has opted to use the signed bootloader on this phone. Since they are offering the Wifi Tether as an option on the X for an extra service charge it would stand to reason that they would want to make it as hard as possible for users to access that feature through a back door. By the same token I imagine the reason they didn't have the feature on the original droid is because they didn't want to take sales cuts on their other mobile hotspot solutions. But now they see people are doing it anyway so they want to make money off of it. After reading this thread in its entirety I'm thinking I'm gonna wait to upgrade until after we see whats gonna happen with the X and future android phones. Maybe someday phones will become as customizable as regular computers (though probably not this year lol)

givmedew

Reaction score
you guys say moto doesnt care about locking the phone down, that maybe true but look at the nexus one. it came pretty much unlocked. so to compare that would mean htc doesnt care about rooting. then look at the incredible and how long its taken to get root. i guess my point is that its not the phone developers that care. its vzw and they want their phones locked down. vzw is apple in the carrier world. they want to have control over everything it will get hacked if man made it man can cracked but it will not be as quick as the droid nor be as full a root. ie meaning hboot unlock. sorry to say but all x users including myself will be waiting awhile.

Your examples do not actually support your opinion and I really think you do not know what you are talking about. You want control? ATT has just as much and oh the new iphone stops working once you hit 2GB per month of traffic on the phone. How's that for control?

Why do your examples not actually support your opinion?
Motorola Droid (VZW) Totally hacked out!!!
Milestone which is the DROID but not for VZW rooted but have not hacked the bootloader.

Incredible (VZW) Designed by HTC the way HTC wanted it.
Nexus one NOT designed the way HTC wanted it. Nexus one is supposed to be sort of an image of what Android is. Which is open source open options why would google want that thing locked down?

Why would motorola and htc want their phones locked down? Why wouldn't they so if it doesn't cost to much then do it. What the benefit of locking it down? Well I could say that these forums definitely teach everyone how to EXPLOIT warranties so why on earth would HTC and Motorola purposely leave the phones open when they are repaid by people who feel that it is ok to just unroot and swap out?

I am not saying that my opinion is the correct at all I'm just giving food for thought, however I can def say one thing you don't know what you are talking about as I have made evident by destroying what you thought actually supports your silly statement!

Epell

Reaction score
Here's an observation I just made.
I don't have android phone and do not know much about root history, so I am not completely sure about this point.

Upon reading through the thread, it seems that Nexus One and Moto Droid both had open bootloader while milestone, incredible, evo did not.
I want to mention that N1 and Droid have "Google" or "with Google" branding on the back while milestone, incredible, and evo do not have it.

It looks like myTouch 3G, samsung moment, and droid eris also have such branding. (myTouch 3G Slide did not)

Does anybody know if there is relationship between Google branding and open bootloader? It seems that they all can run custom roms.
I'm wondering if Google's pushes for open bootloader (edit: I meant more so with phones with their brand on it)

Oh yeah, Droid X has "with Google" branding.

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
I don't have android phone and do not know much about root history, so I am not completely sure about this point.

Upon reading through the thread, it seems that Nexus One and Moto Droid both had open bootloader while milestone, incredible, evo did not.
I want to mention that N1 and Droid have "Google" or "with Google" branding on the back while milestone, incredible, and evo do not have it.

It looks like myTouch 3G, samsung moment, and droid eris also have such branding. (myTouch 3G Slide did not)

Does anybody know if there is relationship between Google branding and open bootloader? It seems that they all can run custom roms.
I'm wondering if Google's pushes for open bootloader (edit: I meant more so with phones with their brand on it

Incredible says "with Google" on the back same as my Droid did

borgey401

Reaction score

I'm wondering if Google's pushes for open bootloader (edit: I meant more so with phones with their brand on it)

yeah my eris,incredible,droid all 3 say with google or google on them.

Epell

Reaction score
I guess the images from google I found were rendered CG :p
sorry about wasting your time :p

Taegost

Reaction score
I though Vodaphone was independent and they and Verizon mutually own Verizon Wireless?

Vodafone is an independent wireless carrier based in the UK. When Verizon Communications wanted to get into the wireless market, they partnered with Vodafone and created Verizon Wireless. Verizon owns 55% of VZW, I believe Vodafone has about 40%.
VZW has said in press releases that they support the open source project with their wireless phones... But that's on the outside, I dunno what their official internal policy is ;)

I think you're close with this, I don't think the word is "Branding", but "backing". Google backed the N1 and Droid fully, and they are the ones easiest to unlock and mod, so they have the largest community because of that.
The rest have Android on them, but Google isn't putting its weight behind them, so they've been harder to root and have a smaller mod community.
From what I've seen, the X may be in the second category of being branded, but not backed, by Google. I would anticipate the Droid 2, on the other hand, would be fully backed by Google.
Only time will tell, but I've made the same observation myself.

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you guys say moto doesnt care about locking the phone down, that maybe true but look at the nexus one. it came pretty much unlocked. so to compare that would mean htc doesnt care about rooting. then look at the incredible and how long its taken to get root. i guess my point is that its not the phone developers that care. its vzw and they want their phones locked down. vzw is apple in the carrier world. they want to have control over everything it will get hacked if man made it man can cracked but it will not be as quick as the droid nor be as full a root. ie meaning hboot unlock. sorry to say but all x users including myself will be waiting awhile.

Your examples do not actually support your opinion and I really think you do not know what you are talking about. You want control? ATT has just as much and oh the new iphone stops working once you hit 2GB per month of traffic on the phone. How's that for control?

Why do your examples not actually support your opinion?
Motorola Droid (VZW) Totally hacked out!!!
Milestone which is the DROID but not for VZW rooted but have not hacked the bootloader.

Incredible (VZW) Designed by HTC the way HTC wanted it.
Nexus one NOT designed the way HTC wanted it. Nexus one is supposed to be sort of an image of what Android is. Which is open source open options why would google want that thing locked down?

Why would motorola and htc want their phones locked down? Why wouldn't they so if it doesn't cost to much then do it. What the benefit of locking it down? Well I could say that these forums definitely teach everyone how to EXPLOIT warranties so why on earth would HTC and Motorola purposely leave the phones open when they are repaid by people who feel that it is ok to just unroot and swap out?

I am not saying that my opinion is the correct at all I'm just giving food for thought, however I can def say one thing you don't know what you are talking about as I have made evident by destroying what you thought actually supports your silly statement!

what? .....

borgey401

Reaction score
actually whoever said the milestone is not on verizon is not right what so ever. it is on a carrier owned by verizon actually. probally should do your homework first

Anticitizen

Reaction score
actually whoever said the milestone is not on verizon is not right what so ever. it is on a carrier owned by verizon actually. probally should do your homework first

Er, it's the other way around, Vodaphone is a large shareholder venture of Vodaphone/VZ Communications. Sounds like you didn't finish your homework either....

Anyway, if the bootloader is signed, I'd say Verizon would be responsible. They're about to roll out the mobile hotspot feature on the X, and probably wouldn't like to have it circumvented. I hope I'm wrong, though.

givmedew

Reaction score
Again I think the manufacture has just as much reason as verizon to want a signed boot loader. Verizon probably doesn't care enough about the few people that want customizations. Also signed boot loader doesn't mean you can't run wireless tether. It does mean no custom roms which sucks bad because I think that means no themes but I may be wrong. I still enjoy my moto droid over my incredible for this reason and if I didn't already give it to my girlfriend I'd probably start using it again. I loved being on the bleeding edge of development and I also like that on some of the roms pushing up on the volume while the phone is locked will change the track which is safer while driving.

Anyways I guess we will see. I thought I wanted the x but after carrying it for a day I think it is hard to use one handed. Adw helped by allowing me to set the home key to pull down the shade but still the phone is huge I am going to holdout for the d2.