[ROM Tools] Team Get~R~Done D2G Rom-er Tool - a tool Convert D2 Roms for use on D2G

Psj77

Reaction score
Wait so I could simply reflash romer and not have to clear anything/reinstall liberty?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
I can't wait to have sensors working... once that is cleared, I am going to try a D2 ROM - Stupid Defuse/Fission...

Any suggestions? Seems like Liberty is popular... I have always had Android phones where there was a crap ROM and a good ROM, so I am not sure what to choose now there are what seems to be some solid choices.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
sensors are not a big deal i thought it was at first buit since i am on the dev team it really is not in my opinion i like it

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
So what am I really missing without sensors? like when I call, I have to manually sleep the screen or something? I really want to try Liberty...

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Agreed, Woz and I are probably biased but...I don't miss the sensors as much as I had thought I would

Gamers that use accelerometer might feel differently.

TinMan09

Reaction score
damn i cant even keep up. i downloaded v4 this morning when i got up to go to work, which would be like 7 pm there and now theres already a v5? good job guys.

youngkyl50

Reaction score
Which of the d2 roms are suggested?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

ExodusC

Reaction score
I personally have gone back to Fission.

I don't know about you guys, but I use the accelerometer all the time.

Liberty was fun to play with, but I am still experiencing the issue where sometimes the Droid 2 Global will lock to 1200MHz and slow down significantly.

I still don't know what causes this, or if I am the only one to experience it. It's odd, since it still does it sometimes on a pretty clean install of Liberty.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Agreed, Woz and I are probably biased but...I don't miss the sensors as much as I had thought I would

Gamers that use accelerometer might feel differently.

Lol i am a little too..... been trying to ping ideas off you
but yea, sensors arent really a big deal to me since ive gotten used to it.

Edit: not sure what you did with v4 but even with sensors disabled the landscape/portrait one is still working.... slightly annoying after getting used to it not working.

Edit2: ignore that... that was me having a stupid moment, had disabled them after turning them on but didn't restart.

ilovegetrdone

Reaction score
From this point forward, I"ll handle all the D2G_Romer updates through this thread. This way I won't have to bug WoZzy at all hours to update the links just because I got a wild hair and updated it.

After learning a lot through trial and error, messing with several D2 Roms, I came up with this handy "tool" that I've been using it to test ROMs. After flashing the D2 Rom of your choice, flash this update to "convert" it for use on the Global. This tool allows any D2 Rom to be run on the D2G (don't quote me on that, I haven't personally tried them all, but so far every one has worked). Before trying this out, please become familiar with the known issues.

Obviously use this tool at your own risk, neither I, nor any other member of Get~R~Done are respondible should you brick your phone.

If this is your first time installing, download the following two files to the root of your sdcard along with a D2 rom of your choosing.

D2G_Romer_v5.zip

D2G_Sensors.zip

Installation Instructions
1. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery
2. Create a nandroid Backup
3. Factory Reset/Wipe Data/Cache
4. Choose install zip from sdcard and navigate to the D2 Rom that you downloaded earlier.
5. As soon as that completes, choose install zip from sdcard again and flash the D2G_Romer.zip
6. When done, reboot your phone, hopefully, if all went well, you will not bootloop, I haven't...yet.

If you have already flashed a previous version of the D2G_Romer.zip just download the most recent version above and do the following:

1. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery
2. Choose install zip from sdcard and flash the most recent D2G_Romer.zip
3. When done, reboot your phone.

Known Issues
1. The sensors still cause sleep/wake issues and as of v5 are disabled by default. The D2G_Sensors.zip is essentially a toggle. If sensors are working (and your phone is rebooting everytime it tries to sleep), flash D2G_Sensors.zip to disable them. If your sensors arent working (no auto rotate, and your phone will sleep like normal) flash it to enable them (and help me figure out what the problem is).

2. build.prop will not report your rom as whatever you've flashed. It will say it is D2G Rom-er. This is because the tool is generic. I really didn't feel like making a seperate tool for every D2 Rom just so build.prop will report correctly. This easily fixed by manually editing build.prop from root explorer.

3. For some reason very strange reason, I can't seem to get a dialer in apeX 1.3.1, and others have had bootloop with 1.4 (requiring SBF)

4. [Fixed] Bluetooth was broken, but was fixed with v3, unfortunately v3 broke some scripts for those of you trying Liberty. This was fixed with v4.

General Warnings
I flashed a rom that would not let me boot back into Clockwork recovery (gummyjar - I should note that Liberty, which is based on gummyjar, works just fine). As of now, I don't know how/why that would happen so be careful, and do not do this unless you are comfortable using the SBF released by TBH.

Before you flash any rom, be certain that it doesn't include the D2 kernel or Radio files (I'm not aware of any that do except maderstock and that's for the X). A D2 kernel on the D2G could mean a brick, and not the SBF cureable kind.

For those that are wondering, this does not work for D1 Roms :(

Changelog
v1 Released 2-11-2011
v2 Not released
v3 Released 2-12-2011 - Fixed bluetooth and Global Data, but broke Liberty custom scripts
v4 Released 2-13-2011 - Fixed Custom preinstall scripts.
v5 Released 2-13-2011 - Slightly smaller file size, automatically disables sensors, fixes some obscure adbd issues.

FAQ's
Q: Is D2G Romer a custom rom?
A: Not really, it is packaged like one but essentially just copies factory D2G files over the wrong D2 files. You could flash a D2 Rom and adb push and permission the files, this is just MUCH faster and easier.

Q: Really, I can just flash this over a D2 Rom on my D2G and finally mess around with my Global?
A: Yep, it does have it's quirks (namely the sensors), but I think it gets us closer to more full roms on the D2G.

Q: If I already used a previous version of the Romer, do I need to wipe data/cache when I update Romer?
A: Shouldn't have to if all you are doing is updating the D2G Romer, just reboot into recovery and flash the newer version. If on the other hand you want to flash a different D2 Rom (or update the underlying D2 Rom) you should definitely wipe data/cache.

Just to let you know i'm currently running D2G with liberty 1.5 and sensors without it rebooting after it sleeps. I think it might have something to do with the boot logo because I flashed an alienware boot logo right before I enabled sensors. I made this account to thank you as well, this is awesome

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Bro me & bury boi will look into this that would be awsome if thats what it was

CH1L1P3PP3R

Reaction score
So does flashing the boot logo works to get the sensors working properly? Has anyone else tried this? If so, this would be fantastic!!

Last edited:

youngkyl50

Reaction score
Just flashed liberty using this and I love it except vibrate isn't working and sometimes it seems like the screen doesn't want to flip back to portrait view after using the physical keyboard and shutting the phone. Also the keyboard lights are not coming on. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk