[ROM Tools] Team Get~R~Done D2G Rom-er Tool - a tool Convert D2 Roms for use on D2G

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
After learning a lot through trial and error, messing with several D2 Roms, I came up with this handy "tool" that I've been using it to test ROMs. After flashing the D2 Rom of your choice, flash this update to "convert" it for use on the Global. This tool allows any D2 Rom to be run on the D2G (don't quote me on that, I haven't personally tried them all, but so far every one has worked). Before trying this out, please become familiar with the known issues.

Obviously use this tool at your own risk, neither I, nor any other member of Get~R~Done are respondible should you brick your phone.

If this is your first time installing, download one of the following two files to the root of your sdcard along with a D2 rom of your choosing.

If your installing Liberty 1.5 or Fission 2.5.7 download this file: D2G_Romer_v7.zip

For Squidly and Apex 1.3.1 use this file: D2G_Romer.zip (bluetooth and global data will not function, see known issues as Apex has some other issues as well)

Links to all previous versions of the D2G_Romer are in the changelogs.

In addition to the Romer, you will probably want to download the following, to quickly/easily enable/disable the sensors:

D2G_Sensors.zip

Installation Instructions
1. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery
2. Create a nandroid Backup
3. Factory Reset/Wipe Data/Cache
4. Choose install zip from sdcard and navigate to the D2 Rom that you downloaded earlier.
5. As soon as that completes, choose install zip from sdcard again and flash the D2G_Romer.zip
6. (Optional) As soon as the Romer Flashes, choose install zip from sdcard again and flash the D2G_Sensors.zip (to disable the sensors, see known issues for more details regarding the sensors)
7. When done, reboot your phone, hopefully, if all went well, you will not bootloop.

For Liberty and Fission only, If you have already flashed a previous version of the D2G_Romer.zip just download the most recent version above and do the following:

1. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery
2. Choose install zip from sdcard and flash the most recent D2G_Romer.zip (FYI, there is no reason to flash the Sensor.zip as they are automatically disabled starting in Romer_v5)
3. When done, reboot your phone.

Known Issues
1. All of the sensors are functional when enabled. Unfortunately they somehow cause the phone to soft reset whenever it sleeps. Because of this, they are disabled by default in all versions starting with version 5. The D2G_Sensors.zip is essentially a toggle. If sensors are working (and your phone is rebooting everytime it tries to sleep), flash D2G_Sensors.zip to disable them. If your sensors arent working (no auto rotate, and your phone will sleep like normal) flash it to enable them (and help me figure out what the problem is).

2. build.prop will not report your rom as whatever you've flashed. It will say it is D2G Rom-er. This is because the tool is generic. I really didn't feel like making a seperate tool for every D2 Rom just so build.prop will report correctly. This easily fixed by manually editing build.prop from root explorer.

3. For some very strange reason, I can't seem to get a dialer in apeX 1.3.1, and others have had bootloop with 1.4 (requiring SBF). I got 1.4 to boot on Romer_v1, still no Phone app (it is in /system/app, but doesn't show up in the drawer)

4. [Fixed] Bluetooth was broken, but was fixed with v3, unfortunately v3 broke some scripts for those of you trying Liberty. This was fixed with v4. There are other problems starting bluetooth for those that never got the OTA update. This is easily solved by downloading the complete 2.4.330 Rom from this thread HERE.

5. There have been reports of "M" logo bootloop with Squidly on Romer_v5.

General Warnings
Please familiarize yourself with SBF before trying one of these.

I flashed a rom that would not let me boot back into Clockwork recovery (gummyjar - I should note that Liberty, which is based on gummyjar, works just fine). As of now, I don't know how/why that would happen so be careful, and do not do this unless you are comfortable using the SBF released by TBH.

Before you flash any rom, be certain that it doesn't include the D2 kernel or Radio files (I'm not aware of any that do except maderstock and that's for the X). A D2 kernel on the D2G could mean a brick, and not the SBF cureable kind.

For those that are wondering, this does not work for D1 Roms :(

Changelog
Version 1 is the only version safe on most D2 Roms. The other versions are safe with Liberty1.0 and 1.5 only.
v1 Released 2-11-2011
v2 Not released
v3 Released 2-12-2011 - Fixed bluetooth and Global Data, but broke Liberty custom scripts
v4 Released 2-13-2011 - Fixed Custom preinstall scripts.
v5 Released 2-13-2011 - Slightly smaller file size, automatically disables sensors, fixes some obscure adbd issues.
v6 Released 2-16-2011 - Minimized duplicate files to reduce download size, no need to upgrade from v5.
v7 Released 3-15-2011 Fixed Lights (soft key and keyboard lights now on for 15 sec after last touch) Thanks to baker1md for the commands!

FAQ's
Q: Is D2G Romer a custom rom?
A: Not really, it is packaged like one but essentially just copies factory D2G files over the wrong D2 files. You could flash a D2 Rom and adb push and permission the files, this is just MUCH faster and easier.

Q: Really, I can just flash this over a D2 Rom on my D2G and finally mess around with my Global?
A: Yep, it does have it's quirks (namely the sensors), but I think it gets us closer to more full roms on the D2G.

Q: If I already used a previous version of the Romer, do I need to wipe data/cache when I update Romer?
A: Shouldn't have to if all you are doing is updating the D2G Romer, just reboot into recovery and flash the newer version. If on the other hand you want to flash a different D2 Rom (or update the underlying D2 Rom) you should definitely wipe data/cache.

Last edited:

wilboy

Reaction score
I just came from vacation(but whataa idiot i forgot to bring my phone w/ me.LOL)and still Teamdefused isn't available yet!!!!????
Well... okay..i'll try this one later(need to rest..tired of driving from Florida to NJ)..i'll flash this rom w/ liberty....Is Liberty rom from D2 is fine to flash w/?Thanx!:icon_ banana:

mreyn3693

Reaction score
I just came from vacation(but whataa idiot i forgot to bring my phone w/ me.LOL)and still Teamdefused isn't available yet!!!!????
Well... okay..i'll try this one later(need to rest..tired of driving from Florida to NJ)..i'll flash this rom w/ liberty....Is Liberty rom from D2 is fine to flash w/?Thanx!:icon_ banana:

Yes, I flashed the D2 Liberty 1.5 ROM and then the d2gromer.zip and the sensor.zip files to my d2g and besides the no sensor thing(which is no big deal to me) and for some reason my touchscreen keyboard will force close at times, I haven't noticed any issues. The slideout keyboard works fine in those cases when the touch screen keyboard FC.

I thought the ROM had affected my in call volume but then I realized while playing with the settings that I enabled voice privacy. After disabling it, the volume is fine.

sudod2g

Reaction score
Works Great couldnt be easier, now running liberty, soon i will flash epic see how that goes!

dancedroid.dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
nice the sensors work now I AM RUNNING LIBERTY 1.5 WITH d2G tEAM get~r~dons VERSION 4 ROMER

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
NO NOT YET BUT i HAVE IT PLUGGED IN BUT i LOVE THAT YOU GOT THE SENSORS FIXED HOW DID YOU DO IT BRO

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
The sensors have always worked...they just have the side effect of crashing the phone when it sleeps...hence disabling them. :(

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I dont have myen ever go to sleep i do it manaully

TwoBuells

Reaction score
Keyboard lights working???

ok I've been playing with the phone most of the day today, setting the stock rom back to a usable format for my work week and now there is another update. you guys byte! I'm out of phone playing time today....

really, Great job on working on stuff and making the D2G fun.

I'm not going to flash another rom until I get a "Get~R~Done" ring tone.......

Last edited:
OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Yes, if the sensors are enabled, lights work, however sensors seem to cause that sleep crash issue. WoZzy says sensors are working for him, I assume that means its not crashing for him. I haven't yet tested the sensors...I disabled them when I flashed Romer v3.

IslesFan

Reaction score
Yes, if the sensors are enabled, lights work, however sensors seem to cause that sleep crash issue. WoZzy says sensors are working for him, I assume that means its not crashing for him. I haven't yet tested the sensors...I disabled them when I flashed Romer v3.

I'm not able to get a GPS lock on this either.

Otherwise.. I'm VERY happy so far.

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
I get gps lock, but if the sensors are disabled, you will have a dot rather than an arrow. And I think compass will be broken.