[ROM] ApeX V1.4.1 for Droid X & Droid 2 - Refinement and Ease of Use (2/22/2011)

Reaction score
I applied 142 on a clean wipe then flashed theme (bwc)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Well if thats all you did then I would suggest reflashing the rom and then the theme again and if it happens again, you can choose to save time and try flashing apex over the problem apex hopefully fixing the issue which it most likely will or you can do a clean wipe and install apex but don't use the theme because I haven't had any problems but I'm not a theme guy since the stock apex looks the best to me.

jdog94

Reaction score
oh ill flash it again and see what happens just havnt had time at this point

Kimo91

Reaction score
Is it possible to just delete the gmail app and reinstall it to get things to sync properly without wiping my phone? I fixed it a long time ago when I jumped to gummyjar but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it

That's wierd! and you have never run into thus problem when using the browser on 1.4.2 before this? The browser always worked before this event?

1.4.2?

Typo? Only recent releases I see are 1.4.0 and 1.4.1...

No. This is not a typo. There have been problems with 1.4.1 on the droid 2 so a group of us are testing out 1.4.1 but with a different startup script so it is currently going by the name of 1.4.2 :D

Nope never had problems before

When installing 1.4.2 did you install ontop of your previous rom or did you do a complete wipe?

Well today it started again with my gmail not syncing properly again not happy with that but all in all loving this ROM

Sent from Kimo's Rooted Droid 2

Have you had problems before this on previous roms? And the first thing I would probably do is either, delete you gmail account and add it again, and if it is still doing it then uninstall gmail and reinstall it and hopefully that should fix it.

Sent from Kimo's Rooted Droid 2

bobstro

Reaction score
[... ] Can you try this one? [...]

Remember to run the script after your phone is complete finished booting up:

su
startup
[...]
I've installed 1.4.2 twice. I'm getting much further now. On both attempts, I deleted battery, dalvik and system caches before and immediately after the ROM flash, as well as factory reset before.

The first attempt looked good until I realized the phone had stopped working, (no audio) so I rolled back to 1.4.0.

Last night, I made another attempt. Basic install went well, and phone was fine. I restored all apps and data using Titanium Backup as before. With the new version, the system will boot successfully. I did experience two "Process system is not responding " FCs, and Gentle Alarm caused lockups.

I rebooted into clockwork, deleted battery stats, dalvik and system caches, and ran fix permissions, and it seems stable. I deleted Gentle Alarm and reinstalled, and it's good now.

For the last hour, it's been stable and responsive. I've run the startup script, and it still looks good.

I'll keep testing and report.

Thanks for all the effort, Fab.

- Bob

jdog94

Reaction score
I believe my above problems. Was due to my overclocking

Reaction score
[... ] Can you try this one? [...]

Remember to run the script after your phone is complete finished booting up:

su
startup
[...]
I've installed 1.4.2 twice. I'm getting much further now. On both attempts, I deleted battery, dalvik and system caches before and immediately after the ROM flash, as well as factory reset before.

The first attempt looked good until I realized the phone had stopped working, (no audio) so I rolled back to 1.4.0.

Last night, I made another attempt. Basic install went well, and phone was fine. I restored all apps and data using Titanium Backup as before. With the new version, the system will boot successfully. I did experience two "Process system is not responding " FCs, and Gentle Alarm caused lockups.

I rebooted into clockwork, deleted battery stats, dalvik and system caches, and ran fix permissions, and it seems stable. I deleted Gentle Alarm and reinstalled, and it's good now.

For the last hour, it's been stable and responsive. I've run the startup script, and it still looks good.

I'll keep testing and report.

Thanks for all the effort, Fab.

- Bob

Sounds like titanium backup. I remember that Titanium backup can cause some problems when restoring system apps (calendar, contacts, etc.) so thats a no no. But google should automatically back up the data for these system apps and restore them automatically without causing problems so thats always a +! Also, restoring system settings will also cause problems so whenever restoring with that program only do the batch option for restoring missing apps then choose apps + data and then you should be fine! dancedroid

jdog94

Reaction score
so tell me what happens if i dont do startup script ??? what are we losing if we dont run startup scipt?

bobstro

Reaction score
[...] Sounds like titanium backup.
Yes, I mentioned that in my earlier post. I've only restored apps & data, and no system data.

I'm providing the additional detail because the exact same procedure works fine on 1.4.0 and Fab asked us to test 1.4.2.

FWIW, there's a post on XDA from someone seeing similar problems with 1.4.1 without using TB, so I'm hoping the details help troubleshooting.

- Bob

bobstro

Reaction score
so tell me what happens if i dont do startup script ??? what are we losing if we dont run startup scipt?
EDIT: I took a look through the init.d scripts. Fab will have to give his official explanation, but at quick glance, the scripts provide:

sleeps for 24 seconds (wasn't supposed to be included, IIRC)
deletes logging (for performance and memory reasons according to the comments)
modifies task killer settings (not sure of source)
modifies CPU sampling rates (looks like ondemand governor settings if I'm reading it right)
enables crond and scheduled cache flushing
kills off telnetd
enables sysctl settings (using Imoseyon's settings)

If the sysctl modifications are only made if the script is run, I assume you're OK without the cron job clearing the cache.

I'm wondering if the CPU and sysctl settings might be conflicting with Jrummy's Droid 2 Overclock install-recovery.sh settings? That might explain the "Titanium Backup" problem. When I've got more time, I'll try restoring everything BUT Droid 2 Overclock from TB using the same procedure to see if the problems go away.

I've reset Droid Overclock settings to pretty much standard, using only the ondemand governor, and I am not running Fab's init.d scripts just yet. So far, very stable, and much more like the 1.4.0 experience that made me a (contributing) Apex convert.

I'd love more detail on where you (Fab) are going with the init.d scripts, and whether converting other startup scripts to it is recommended (e.g. can I create my own NNname script and have it executed in sequence?). Lest anyone take this as a complaint, I am only prattling on trying to help identify what the Droid 2 issues are. Hopefully, the bit I've contributed to the beer fund will make this worth reading.

- Bob

Last edited:
Reaction score
EDIT: I took a look through the init.d scripts. Fab will have to give his official explanation, but at quick glance, the scripts provide:

sleeps for 24 seconds (wasn't supposed to be included, IIRC)
deletes logging (for performance and memory reasons according to the comments)
modifies task killer settings (not sure of source)
modifies CPU sampling rates (looks like ondemand governor settings if I'm reading it right)
enables crond and scheduled cache flushing
kills off telnetd
enables sysctl settings (using Imoseyon's settings)

If the sysctl modifications are only made if the script is run, I assume you're OK without the cron job clearing the cache.

I'm wondering if the CPU and sysctl settings might be conflicting with Jrummy's Droid 2 Overclock install-recovery.sh settings? That might explain the "Titanium Backup" problem. When I've got more time, I'll try restoring everything BUT Droid 2 Overclock from TB using the same procedure to see if the problems go away.

I've reset Droid Overclock settings to pretty much standard, using only the ondemand governor, and I am not running Fab's init.d scripts just yet. So far, very stable, and much more like the 1.4.0 experience that made me a (contributing) Apex convert.

I'd love more detail on where you (Fab) are going with the init.d scripts, and whether converting other startup scripts to it is recommended (e.g. can I create my own NNname script and have it executed in sequence?). Lest anyone take this as a complaint, I am only prattling on trying to help identify what the Droid 2 issues are. Hopefully, the bit I've contributed to the beer fund will make this worth reading.

- Bob

Thanks for the info about the startup script bob! I'm sure many more people other jdog and myself were wondering. Sorry about the mix up in your post about the force closes I just forgot about your previous posts and thought you were looking for an answer to your query! Glad to hear you got it figured out and hopefully you were able help out that other poor soul on xda who was having the same problem!

bobstro

Reaction score
A quick update: I re-calibrated my overclocking settings using QuickClock Advanced, then used those parameters to reconfigure Droid 2 Overclock profiles. Phone has been stable since.

I then disabled the following Apex 1.4.2 init.d scripts:

00sleepy
02freemem
03setcpu

I also set my sysctl.conf settings to Imoseyon's zip settings.

So far, so good. I ran out of time last night, but I hope to do a fresh install of 1.4.1 and disable these same init scripts, then retest my OC settings.

I don't consider any of this a failing of Apex, Droid 2 Overclock, nor even Titanium Backup. I'm guessing a lot of us flashing ROMs run these outstanding products,together and I'm just hoping to add to the body of knowledge rather than spreading FUD.

- Bob

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
A quick update: I re-calibrated my overclocking settings using QuickClock Advanced, then used those parameters to reconfigure Droid 2 Overclock profiles. Phone has been stable since.

I then disabled the following Apex 1.4.2 init.d scripts:

00sleepy
02freemem
03setcpu

I also set my sysctl.conf settings to Imoseyon's zip settings.

So far, so good. I ran out of time last night, but I hope to do a fresh install of 1.4.1 and disable these same init scripts, then retest my OC settings.

I don't consider any of this a failing of Apex, Droid 2 Overclock, nor even Titanium Backup. I'm guessing a lot of us flashing ROMs run these outstanding products,together and I'm just hoping to add to the body of knowledge rather than spreading FUD.

- Bob

Thanks very for your contributions...nice work.

xenspidey

Reaction score
fab - all of a sudden from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 eclipse debugging logcat isn't working with this error "Unable to open log device '/dev/log/main': No such file or directory"
do you know what happened to the log?

bobstro

Reaction score
Not to speak for Fab, but /etc/init.d/01disablelog deleted /dev/log/main.

- Bob

bobstro

Reaction score
Sorry about the mix up in your post about the force closes I just forgot about your previous posts and thought you were looking for an answer to your query!
oh, no problem. These threads do get long. I'm just trying to maintain continuity for anyone else struggling.
Glad to hear you got it figured out and hopefully you were able help out that other poor soul on xda who was having the same problem!
Turns out he also runs Droid 2 Overclock. A pattern? I can't think why a Droid 2 would be more sensitive to CPU settings than an X. Maybe it's tied to that charge LED that doesn't work. :)

- Bob