Prior D1 owners - would you buy the TB again?

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
from what i understand and have read.. it will be addressed in the next system update.. but dont quote me on that...

Not to run this too far off topic, but I've seen this typed a few times now, but I'm yet to see it for my own eyes. Any links (and I've googled) to where this is being discussed?

lol

and im quoted on it :p

its in this forum somewhere.. an end user claimed they called HTC.. search search search

Froyo

Reaction score
I'm using my Thunderbolt as a wireless hotspot for my Droid. Take that however you would like.

rustinq

Reaction score
I pre ordered the Thunderbolt from BB and kept it for the first 14 days. I had big issues with the battery so I purchased the huge extended battery. I really wasnt able to get used to the size and weight of the huge phone with the big battery so I took it all back. I reactivated my D1 and now it drives me crazy how slow it is. I seriously want to throw it against the wall. So last night I ordered the upgrade again from Verizon. They had dropped the price to 199. I purchased it with a one year renewal for 229. it arrives today. I am just going to order the 1700 mAh batteries that fit inside the stock battery cover and have a spare battery sitting around. So yes! I had remorse, and yes I changed my mind when I went back...

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
I am happy with it. Battery isn't bad. I have data off when not in use. Use 3G mainly and 4G when watching videos and stuff like that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I pre ordered the Thunderbolt from BB and kept it for the first 14 days. I had big issues with the battery so I purchased the huge extended battery. I really wasnt able to get used to the size and weight of the huge phone with the big battery so I took it all back. I reactivated my D1 and now it drives me crazy how slow it is. I seriously want to throw it against the wall. So last night I ordered the upgrade again from Verizon. They had dropped the price to 199. I purchased it with a one year renewal for 229. it arrives today. I am just going to order the 1700 mAh batteries that fit inside the stock battery cover and have a spare battery sitting around. So yes! I had remorse, and yes I changed my mind when I went back...

Not to go to far off topic on my own thread, but I just checked my VW and the price shown for me is $239 for 2 year contract. How did you see the 199/229 price?

jseah

Reaction score

Not to go to far off topic on my own thread, but I just checked my VW and the price shown for me is $239 for 2 year contract. How did you see the 199/229 price?

If you are eligible for an upgrade AND you have a corporate discount associated with your account, then the upgrade price is $199/$229.

jseah

Reaction score
I went from a Droid 1 to the TB and I couldn't be happier. Had the Droid 1 since release day. Love the big, bright screen. HTC's Sense UI is actually pretty intuitive and I feel works better than Motorola's Blur. And the TB works perfectly with my Pioneer deck Bluetooth adapter. With the Droid 1, always had problems with connecting it to my car via Bluetooth. It would either connect for phone, or audio, but never both. And when it was connected for phone, I could make calls using the car stereo fine, and answer calls fine, but if I initiated the call from the handset itself, the handset would reboot. Never could figure out why that was and none of the Android updates ever fixed it.

My Droid 1 has been handed down to my son, so he is using that now.

jseah

Reaction score
ive had a D1, INC and now this.. i rarely record.. but i can see it being critical if you have kids and wanna send short films to fam members...

I've had the capability to record video on a cell phone since I first got the Blackberry Pearl back in the Fall of 2007. Since then, I think I may have used the video recording capability of my phones once or maybe twice tops.

sal33n

Reaction score
OK, still have my D1 and have been eligible for an upgrade since January. I have been wanting to hold off for the Bionic but the TB is looking very nice. My girlfriend has an EVO and I love the Sense UI on it. I can get past single core and even not having an HDMI out port but the one thing that I am having a hard time getting past is the screen res. My Droid 3.7" screen has a higher res (480*854) than the TB and looks gorgeous. With the TB screen being bigger, do you notice the resolution difference from your D1s like in small text or diagonal lines? With such a big screen I see no reason that they didn't choose the 540*960 (qhd) over the 480*800.

Beardface

Reaction score
To answer the original question. Yes, and then some. Seriously, to anyone looking to upgrade, buy this phone. My battery life is about equal to my rooted and overclocked Droid 1 (though, we don't have 4G in this area yet... expecting a noticeable drop in battery when it does... hopefully HTC will have an extended battery out soon that isn't as bulky as the one they have out now). Everything associated with the phone is faster, smoother, and just feels more put together than my Droid was. And the memory of this thing. Its INSANELY better than the Droid. Whereas you had ~256MB of internal memory with the Droid, which really hampered the number of apps you could load, this beast comes with 3GB! I have roughly 22GB left on my external memory card, and I have ALL my music uploaded onto it. Its ridiculous.

I'm just waiting for the Multimedia Dock to be available from HTC, and I'm going to pounce. The ONLY drawback I have right now is that I really can't use it as a clock at night like I did with the Droid. Once that thing comes out, it will have surpassed the Droid in every way possible.

And lets not forget that its already been rooted and overclocked to 2.0Ghz. Thats faster than most netbooks right now.

Beardface

Reaction score
OK, still have my D1 and have been eligible for an upgrade since January. I have been wanting to hold off for the Bionic but the TB is looking very nice. My girlfriend has an EVO and I love the Sense UI on it. I can get past single core and even not having an HDMI out port but the one thing that I am having a hard time getting past is the screen res. My Droid 3.7" screen has a higher res (480*854) than the TB and looks gorgeous. With the TB screen being bigger, do you notice the resolution difference from your D1s like in small text or diagonal lines? With such a big screen I see no reason that they didn't choose the 540*960 (qhd) over the 480*800.
Man, I hear you on the EVO. Thats the main reason I had my sights set on this thing since the teaser picks were leaked late last summer/early fall. The Bionic will be nice in its own right, but its got Blur, and its locked down, so its going to be a very long time before its successfully rooted, and even then, good luck flashing a ROM. Plus, the Bionic is already outdated in terms of Moto devices, with the Atrix headed to AT&T (and likely to Verizon this fall/winter). I decided not to wait, and even though its BARELY been 24 hours, I'm still surprised by this thing.

As for the resolution... I notice no difference between this and the Droid. The resolution still looks crisp. I don't notice any choppiness on curved lines or angles. Its like what was on the Droid... just blown up in size for a 4.3 inch screen. Which, I guess speaks more to how nice the Droid screen was... But I'm starting to believe it was unnecessary. Its like people who have a 1080p HDTV that's about 30". Yeah, its got a great screen, but you aren't going to notice any difference between that and 720p on a screen that small.

As for the HDMI. Yeah, its unfortunate it wasn't included on the device, but it will be included with the Multimedia Dock, so as long as you are able to get your hands on one, it won't be an issue.

tycedeano

Reaction score
Likes: Faster and bigger screen than D1. Dislikes: Short battery life (compensated for by buying extra/extended batteries but increases the logistics footprint on trips);can't talk on phone when plugged into car stereo (deal breaker) and it appears to have issues when plugged into my Chevy Equinox's radio (radio cycles between Aux and radio randomly, which it doesn't do when my D1 is plugged in). Bottom line is I'll swap this with my wife's D1 this weekend (she doesn't plug into her car radio) and get the Bionic when it's released.

ss13

Reaction score
No regrets. Video'ed the kid playing piano the other day and it would not play sound back. Totally pissed, but later in the day it did play. Also uploaded video to facebook and it played fine there. So seems to me its just playback, and the quality of the recording. But only have the one experience to report on.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Beware, there are many Verizon reps here pushing a story about "Time is of the essence" lmao, that is the lowest trick in the book. Wait for what you really want. Worry about pricing when that time comes.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Likes: Faster and bigger screen than D1. Dislikes: Short battery life (compensated for by buying extra/extended batteries but increases the logistics footprint on trips);can't talk on phone when plugged into car stereo (deal breaker) and it appears to have issues when plugged into my Chevy Equinox's radio (radio cycles between Aux and radio randomly, which it doesn't do when my D1 is plugged in). Bottom line is I'll swap this with my wife's D1 this weekend (she doesn't plug into her car radio) and get the Bionic when it's released.

Can you eloborate on the car stereo issue.

It won't allow call while a 3.5mm plug is connected to the car?

What about when BT streaming, does it not simply pause the music and allow the phone call?