Prior D1 owners - would you buy the TB again?

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I know this is probably beaten to death. I think you can see why though right? I don't want to be stuck with a mediocre phone for two years if that's the case..

So, D1 owners, any remorse in going for the TB instead of holding out?

I don't live in a 4g area but should by the end of the year. What's been acomplished through rooting and overclocking is simply amazing, so I'm inclined to buy it just for that. I also hear that the rooted ROMS available greatly improve battery life....so..why am I on the fence?

I think the only thing really stoping me is the audio issue with video recordings, to me that's important as I have kids and don't always want to carry a flip cam around.

Last edited:

2001400ex

Reaction score
I did it and don't regret it. The battery life is a little better on 3g than droid once you get the settings worked out, and I am not sacrificing anything. On 4g, battery drains like mad..

Way better UI, smoother, a lot more stable than droid.

This phone is way more comfortable to hold and use than any other phone I have tried, which I think is huge but isn't discussed much.

Worst part to me was the keyboard which I bought an app which is best keyboard I have used.

I would say if you are going to wait a few months, check out other phones because the battery life on 4g. If you want a phone now, step up and you won't regret it.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
If you just shut off mobile data when you don't need it the phone is a champ... battery lasts a LONG time. With mobile data enabled (I am using the HTC toggle widget) you can literally watch the battery drain if you have a battery widget.

I have both the D1 and the Thunderbolt activated because I wanted the 4g mobile hotspot (I am getting almost 18-25Mbps download and 6-9Mbps upload)... so I just added another line. Honestly, you can't really even compare these 2 phones... it's like comparing a blackberry to the droid. The thunderbolt is just fast. I am still getting used to Sense... but I don't hate it. I have CM7b4 on the Droid.

Simple answer... no remorse... this Thunderbolt is a beast.

1233606729.png

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
if your main goal is to video record.. there is definately an issue going on.. hoping that a system update fixes it.. i dont record that much.. but not exactly excited that the mic issue isnt resolved yet..

ex.. i recorded myself playing guitar using a 100w tube amp.. the phone heard that.. but you can hear the audio fading in and out..

if you record someone talking casually.. you wont hear anything.. happens on mine anyway..

stonedoubt

Reaction score
if your main goal is to video record.. there is definately an issue going on.. hoping that a system update fixes it.. i dont record that much.. but not exactly excited that the mic issue isnt resolved yet..

ex.. i recorded myself playing guitar using a 100w tube amp.. the phone heard that.. but you can hear the audio fading in and out..

if you record someone talking casually.. you wont hear anything.. happens on mine anyway..

I just tested mine and you are right... the sound level is terrible.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score

It is not my MAIN goal but it is a real concern for me. There are times when the only capture device I have available is my phone. I prefer it also capture audio. As a musician you should see the value in that while jamming with some friends :)

oresteez

Reaction score
Wow, is this audio/recording issue a problem with all Thunderbolts? or just a "lucky" few?

This sounds like a major problem to me...something that has now given me second thoughts. Why is it that there are not that many threads about it? Are people just not that concerned about it?

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Loving my TB.. Would but again for sure. Loved my D1. Still have it locked away and secure to be used as a wifi device or temp replacement in furture if needed. I would say though two things. Agree with the audio recording. Buddy of mine hated his TB cause of it, but with fix in the works he is good to go now.. 4G.. it really makes it for me. If I was not in a 4G area I would still like the phone ALOT but having 4G really makes a huge difference for me. You say that you should have 4G by end of the year. If you need a phone now get the TB. If you can wait since you don't have 4G right now I would wait and see whatelse comes out that is 4G and make a decision down the road.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Loving my TB.. Would but again for sure. Loved my D1. Still have it locked away and secure to be used as a wifi device or temp replacement in furture if needed. I would say though two things. Agree with the audio recording. Buddy of mine hated his TB cause of it, but with fix in the works he is good to go now.. 4G.. it really makes it for me. If I was not in a 4G area I would still like the phone ALOT but having 4G really makes a huge difference for me. You say that you should have 4G by end of the year. If you need a phone now get the TB. If you can wait since you don't have 4G right now I would wait and see whatelse comes out that is 4G and make a decision down the road.

I honestly want to wait but the threat of 4g tiered pricing is looming over my head :) I wish I knew how much time I have left...

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the audio problem follow if you move the recording to your PC?

DougB.

Answer is yes.. the probllem though is the phone was designed to well .. what I mean is there is a noise canceling microphone. It works so well that it cancels out the audio when recording. So the fix is HTC has to find a way to turn off the second noise canceling mic or tweak it so that you don't loose audio quality when recording video..

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score

It is not my MAIN goal but it is a real concern for me. There are times when the only capture device I have available is my phone. I prefer it also capture audio. As a musician you should see the value in that while jamming with some friends :)

the phones mic records my amp (100 watts) :p

from what i understand and have read.. it will be addressed in the next system update.. but dont quote me on that...

and to the other fellow.. it might not be a huge deal or made alot of news because, not that many people record??

ive had a D1, INC and now this.. i rarely record.. but i can see it being critical if you have kids and wanna send short films to fam members...

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
The first two days I had some buyers remorse, but after that I realized how much more powerful this thing was. It's night and day to be honest. I still love my old D1 and it's sitting on my shelf with a charged battery waiting for the day it might get pressed back into service, but for now it's staying on that shelf. One word of advice, just pony up and buy the 2750mAh battery at the same time as when you get the Tbolt. If you harass the Verizon people enough they might even give you a discount on it. Sure, it costs more money but this battery in my Tbolt is lasting much longer than my stock D1 did. Right now I've been unplugged for 7 1/2 hours and I'm at 90% remaining. I've used it a little less than normal today, but battery life with the bigger battery is much better.... plus it actually feels better in your hand with the new battery installed (my opinion).

Also, Seidio is coming out with cases for the phone with the extended battery installed *hopefully* sometime this week.

Just my .02

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
from what i understand and have read.. it will be addressed in the next system update.. but dont quote me on that...

Not to run this too far off topic, but I've seen this typed a few times now, but I'm yet to see it for my own eyes. Any links (and I've googled) to where this is being discussed?

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
The first two days I had some buyers remorse, but after that I realized how much more powerful this thing was. It's night and day to be honest. I still love my old D1 and it's sitting on my shelf with a charged battery waiting for the day it might get pressed back into service, but for now it's staying on that shelf. One word of advice, just pony up and buy the 2750mAh battery at the same time as when you get the Tbolt. If you harass the Verizon people enough they might even give you a discount on it. Sure, it costs more money but this battery in my Tbolt is lasting much longer than my stock D1 did. Right now I've been unplugged for 7 1/2 hours and I'm at 90% remaining. I've used it a little less than normal today, but battery life with the bigger battery is much better.... plus it actually feels better in your hand with the new battery installed (my opinion).

Also, Seidio is coming out with cases for the phone with the extended battery installed *hopefully* sometime this week.

Just my .02

wow.. the extended battery seems nice.. but you pay the price of the phones stock look with that hump.. for me.. id rather give the phone a charge mid day if need be.. for example.. yesterday.. i unplugged at 630am.. and made it til 10pm at nite.. not a big deal.. listened to mp3s all day long at work.. 7.5hrs and at 90%?? thats huge.. but so is that battery ;)