Wanting to upgrade to the TB from the D1

Raydee35

Reaction score
I have a D1 right now and find it very laggy and slow ever since the upgrade to 2.2 Froyo. I never rooted the phone and really never even wanted to. I am thinking about updating to the Thunderbolt this weekend BUT I want to make sure that I won't lose any of the features that I have with my Motorola phone. I am not sure if all the features are the same on the D1 and the TB since they are both using Android. I def don't want to lose things like Voice dialing, Google maps and many of the apps that I am currently using on my D1.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I have a D1 right now and find it very laggy and slow ever since the upgrade to 2.2 Froyo. I never rooted the phone and really never even wanted to. I am thinking about updating to the Thunderbolt this weekend BUT I want to make sure that I won't lose any of the features that I have with my Motorola phone. I am not sure if all the features are the same on the D1 and the TB since they are both using Android. I def don't want to lose things like Voice dialing, Google maps and many of the apps that I am currently using on my D1.

Nah everything you have on the D1 is on the Tbolt.
If you have a bunch of free apps, write those down to DL if you update to TBOLT.
Paid apps will transfer over when you sign on to your phone or the list of paid apps will be on your MY APPS list in the Market.

MrKleen

Reaction score
If your phone is laggy do a factory data reset.

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
I came from the Droid1 also and the TB is so much faster. It feels bigger to hold but within two days was use to it and now the Droid seems so small when I hold it. I'm liking the Sense UI too.

The Droid was a great phone, but this baby blows it away... At least stock Droids, I'm not into rooting.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
If your phone is laggy do a factory data reset.
I have done a couple factory resets and the phone is still laggy. The worst is when I try to take a picture....the phone will just hang forever. Same if I am doing anything on the phone and email or something is trying to sync, the phone will just come to a stand still. I have came very close to smashing the phone on a number of occasions.

cjkeeney

Reaction score
I did the same switch. I had the droid 1 a couple weeks after it was out and upgraded last Monday to the Thunderbolt. I am very happy with my purchase.

I haven't had any problems with the battery that people have been complaining about, but I did root the phone and set it to 3g only considering I have no 4g coverage here.

The only downfall I've seen so far is the resolution isn't as good as the droid1, but I don't consider that a deal breaker, it's still a crisp and responsive screen.

pinto127

Reaction score

Go now and get a TB. I made the same switch. Most of the apps you are referencing are GOOGLE apps and thus a part of the OS not the phone. The TB is larger but actually feels LIGHTER. and not nearly as bulky. Screen is amazing. Speeds are ridiculous. I have had it three days and rooted. However, did a battery test with juice defender and the battery lasted all day (day 2). Make the switch without aprehension.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
The only thing I miss from the D1 is the ability to set my phone on vibrate from the lockscreen, to my knowledge the TB has no way to do that( and if someone knows a way, please say something). Everything else about it is great.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Immolate

Reaction score
I switched from a D1 to a DX and my Thunderbolt is coming in on Monday. I'm very interested to see how I like the HTC brand as I'm very fond of the unnaturally sturdy frame of the Motorolas. I'm confident it will perform well enough, but sometimes the smallest details can make all the difference. I've had the DX since release day and I've never owned a more well-engineered piece of equipment. But I'm not the kind of person to be content with one phone for two years while the continual stream of awesome keeps coming out.

Good luck with your new Tbolt and I hope it's everything you wanted.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
How about this, since you're getting a new phone anyway, root and install a rom on your d1 first.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
How about this, since you're getting a new phone anyway, root and install a rom on your d1 first.
I set out to do that a while back and there were so many options for ROMS that I just couldn't decide on one. I also didn't want to chance bricking my phone at the time. I did try the one step ROOT but I couldn't get that to work so I stopped. Plus I read that some apps were not working correctly with all the ROMS. I still may try it since I am buying the TB anyway and then I can give my wife my D1 so she can get rid of her super Laggy D1 that is worse than mine.

djmwilliams1

Reaction score
I also went from a D1 to the Tbolt, I can assure you that you not only won't lose any features but you will gain some great ones, like the ability to talk and search the web simultaneously, a much better and faster camera, not to mention front facing camera. a much smoother UI, and last but not least SPEED SPEED SPEED. Amazon has the Thunderbolt on sale for $130 until Monday midnight pacific time. I also recommend the "body glove snap on case for HTC thunderbolt" mfg part# OBGFSHT6400BKA. The case is perfect for the phone and it also comes with it own kickstand which gives you even more secure viewing angles than the two angles the phones kickstand provides. Go to Amazon now and get thunder in your hands, $130 for a TBolt is a steal at this time.

Houston THUNDERBOLT!!

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I also went from a D1 to the Tbolt, I can assure you that you not only won't lose any features but you will gain some great ones, like the ability to talk and search the web simultaneously, a much better and faster camera, not to mention front facing camera. a much smoother UI, and last but not least SPEED SPEED SPEED. Amazon has the Thunderbolt on sale for $130 until Monday midnight pacific time. I also recommend the "body glove snap on case for HTC thunderbolt" mfg part# OBGFSHT6400BKA. The case is perfect for the phone and it also comes with it own kickstand which gives you even more secure viewing angles than the two angles the phones kickstand provides. Go to Amazon now and get thunder in your hands, $130 for a TBolt is a steal at this time.

Houston THUNDERBOLT!!
I thought that price was for only NEW customer's?

Immolate

Reaction score
I thought that price was for only NEW customer's?

The phone I just upgraded to with Verizon online on Thursday for $209 I tried both Wirefly and Amazon first and both showed that I was not eligible to upgrade. It doesn't cost anything to try and see so check it out. Not at all sure what the rules are.